• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Introducing my pup to gun shots?

I got a yellow lab female near the end of May. She's a little over 2 months old now and is doing great. She's already retrieving her puppy dummy, doing the sit and shake thing, thanks to my wife, been swimming a bit, and now it's time to introduce her to the "big boom". What's the best way to go about this? She really has no fear, evidenced by jumping out of the boat a week or so ago when me and a buddy were out on Winnie walleye fishing. The usual loud noises she hears around the house and town don't seem to bother her at all. I really don't think I have anything to worry about, just wondering what some of your thoughts are. Thanks

Brian

The way I did it with mine was take her to the local trap/skeet range. The first time just walk around in the parking lot. The next time maybe walk down the firing line but well away from it. Then just get closer each time. If the dog shows any problems with the noise at all stop and back up. Forcing the dog to listen to the shots doesn't help anything. The good thing about this method is that the dog is usaully so excited by all the people walking around the the various fields that he/she has no idea people are shooting.

I bought a brit from a trainer some time ago. He did this with all his pups...fire a 22 blank pistol while they are eating. It does two things...they are so excited to eat they don't flinch at the shots and they associate the sound of gunfire with something good. I never had to do anything after that.

I have done the same as superfish with my labs and it has worked well for me. I usually walk around the parking lot, maybe throw a dummy around while folks are shooting. Then depending on how the dog reacts we start moving closer to the shooting. On the second trip out I have someone else hold the dog while I am shooting and have them gradually work closer to me until they are a few feet behind me.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

No big booms for a while.
Play with the pup (throw the dummy) while someone shoots a 22 100 yards away. If you can time this while throwing the dummy all the better. Don't make a big deal out of it when there is a shot, just go on with your play. If the dog shows no concern slowly shorten the distance the next session.
After you get the pup accustomed to 22 shot then start all over with a shotgun. Same as with all training don't over do it and keep it fun.

Be very careful taking your pup to the range. Excitement for the pups learning experience is going to lead you to forget that 200 yards is a long ways. Be ready to leave immediately at the first sign of anxiety. Not back in the truck and wait 10 minutes.. I mean gone. Sounds like your pup is ready but make sure you are. I would never take a pup of mine to a range for first experience. Prefer the cap gun. Those paper rolls are still fun to put a match to. wink.gif

The only 2 gun shy dogs I have been around were introduced to gunfire at the trap range. Surface Tension has a better idea. A .22 has a much sharper sound than a shotgun, be patient, and start with having a partner shoot a shotgun (20 gauge is best to start) from a hundred yards when your pup is really interested in something. Signal the partner and look for a reaction from the pup. Over 2 weeks of slowing getting closer, they get used to it, and it should go OK. Read the pup, if it shows signs of concern, back way off, and start again. Gun shy dogs are very hard to bring back to accepting gunfire. Having a good 4 legged hunting partner is one of the greatest things in the world. Work with your pup!

Lots of good books talk in depth about introducing gunfire. You can goof your pup up, if you are not confident, start reading.