• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

public water question

Ok guys I have a question. I found a shallow lake a few hundred yards across ringed with cattails. It has a public boat acess, and no houses on it just vegitation. Can I hunt it? I usaully just stick to the WMA's WPA's in order to be safe but this looks like it might be a good spot.

So the general rule of thumb is
public access = huntable.

thank you

What are the exceptions to this rule? People with lake shore property, lake homes, posted land? Just wondering because I always like to look for new spots and if I don't know if I can hunt it I don't.

I THINK you have to stay away from homes by at least 500 feet. I always use the general rule to make sure that if I shot my shotgun in the direction of a home that my shot will not come near the home. Shot CAN travel 1500 feet per second.
Also check the area to make sure it is not a game refuge. There should be signs in the area if it is a refuge or around the boat landing. They may be real old signs too! I've seen some lakes that could have easily been huntable up until I found a shot up, rusted game refuge sign near the shore! Use caution and investigate!

I believe its pretty much anything with a public access, outside of city limits. Some townships will be discluded .. You can hunt just about anywhere. Be sure to check the regs on distance from houses .. and equally important, livestock. I dont remember the exact distance but its well within the respect of where safety and common courtesy should be.

Lakes that dont have an access may also be huntable by the public. As long as one person doesnt own the land all the way around the lake, and there is a creek that can be navagated, or the water line is within 35 feet of the center of a public road .. it is accessable. If there is any state owned land adjecent to the shoreline, it is not a private lake. Or if you check the plot books and it was privately owned and tax forfiet it is also accessable to the public .. posted or not.

Im 98% sure on this info being correct. If anything is off, its not by much. If someone knows of a mistake here please correct the info to benefit all of us hunters in general.