• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Justin "Moonshot" Morneau

Jarrod32

After watching his shot tonight, I thought that he needed his own thread in this forum. He now has 7 homers and 19 RBI in 95 at-bats (compared to 5 homers and 25 RBI in almost 300 at-bats for Mientkiewicz). This kid is gonna be very, very good.

He might be starting too late to get rookie of the year...but then again...

I'm lovin' it. Even with his late start with the Twins, he could possibly end up with 20 or more homers this year. Not too shabby!!

I agree, Justin is a huge shot in the arm for the Twins offense. The real test will be how he hits after the scouts figure out how to pitch to him. Now I have to stir up the pot a bit and say to compare him to Doug M. is a mistake. Justin hits way better than Douggie, but Dougs glove will be missed.

DM hit pretty good also, when he first came to the team (After a couple of trips up and down, of course) then something happened? The glove was good, got better with seniority, and is tops now, without a doubt.

JM is hitting now and hitting it well, so did Todd Walker and David McCarty when they first came up, time will tell.

The glove thing should take care of itself, learning on the job, no one starts out at the top of their game. Go Twins!

Has there ever been a player to hit 20 homers in the Minors and 20 in the pro's in the same year?

We'll see what happens when they figure out how to pitch to him.

I'll never jump on a rookie's bandwagon unless he does it over the course of an entire season. Now if he lights it up against Oakland, NY and Texas in the coming weeks, then maybe.....But there have been way too many players who kill the ball when they first get called up only to sputter when other teams figure they cant hit a high strike or a curveball.

Just way to early yet to anoint him the next Hrbeck.

Speaking of Hrbek, & Wally Joyner for that matter, when they first came up they were hitting lots of dingers for the first couple of months & then they slowed way down. I remember an interview with Hrbek his rookie year where someone was asking him about all the homers & he said he didn't really know, he wasn't that big of a home run hitter. Herbie did come around to be a power hitter eventually, but after gradually working back up to it. Joyner had a few decent power numbers speckled through his career. Even Puckett when he started hitting the long ball, had a big year & then tapered off as they tried to figure out a new way to get him out. I think Morneau is more of a true power hitter than those guys, they were actually more batting average guys, at least initially. I'm sure he'll have his struggles, but I think he's going to hit pretty well. I hope he hit's as good as Ortiz is hitting now...

• 4 weeks later...

And Morneau does it again.

Whats everybody think of the cathcher we got?

Also does that mean Joey Mauer is done catching? Say No Please! wink.gif

Hey Tom Herman, are you getting closer to jumping on the Justin bandwagon?? I believe this was your quote: "
I'll never jump on a rookie's bandwagon unless he does it over the course of an entire season. Now if he lights it up against Oakland, NY and Texas in the coming weeks, then maybe....."
The Twins announcers said last night that he has hit a homerun in every series he has played in except one, since he replaced Dougie baseball.... not bad for a rookie eh. I've gotta say that if I am busy around the house and see him at the plate, I will stop what I am doing and watch his at bat... I felt the same about Mauer when he was in there. I really can't say the same for the rest of the lineup.... maybe Stewart as well! Justin brings excitement to the game when he's at the plate!

Buzzsaw Right On! Morneau is intimidating at the plate, no doubt. They intentinally walked him last night, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more intentinal walks at Morneau.

15 Homers in 188 at bats. Also he hits the ball a mile.

If "Dustin" Justin keeps up the good work, for the remainder of the season and on into the next....Ryan is going to have to find a way to keep him!

We had one and he somehow got away, (Ortiz) was DM part of that equation also? I think so, cause I can't remember Ortiz playing anything except first?

Having one of them blasters on the team, a bat that is not only capable, but apt to clear the bases, is a pretty formidible weapon!

Guido...I don't think Mauer is done catching by any means. Maybe he's done catching for this year...

Pat Borders - while he is a very nice veteran catcher pick-up for the stretch run (and playoffs) - is not a long-term option at catcher for the Twins.

We might have another "Moon Shot" in this Tiffe kid! He just blasted one out a few minutes ago, won the ball game!

Grebe you beat me to it. Just wanted to say I was above Hrbek territory last night at the dome and saw Morneau blast a line drive just below the upper deck, the ball was only starting to come down.

And then Morneau blasts one again today! smile.gif

Tiffee Wins the Ball Game! grin.gif

Go Twins

[This message has been edited by Guido (edited 09-04-2004).]

Those two guys have some sweet swings...most of the time! Look for something good from Tiffe, if not this year, next.

I hear ya Grebe !

Seems like no matter who they plug in no matter where it is, they keep coming out to play great baseball. Leaves a little bit to be said about the high salary guys and just how many of them a team really needs.

lakeman

Dougie..........who? I thought Dougie was awesome....with the glove nobody's been better in my 30 years watching. Mr Morneau though looks to be the deal with the stick and he's not a bad 1st basemen. He made a sweet play tonight.

Buzzsaw...Have you seen those commercials? Those that don't watch the Twins every chance they get....look out for the garage door and the rattle, rattle!

Gotta get upstairs, twins are kicking white Sox hienie!