• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Classy Mientkiewicz

Mudcutter

What a weekend for Dougy. Read his quotes on the Twins web site. One hell of a classy individual. Instead of focusing on the negative aspects of going away from the team that your heart and soul is in, Dougy praises the Twins for giving him a chance in 98' and focuses on the postive aspects the move makes for the Twins, not how it affects himself!!! A role model indeed!!! Wouldn't it be something if the Twins were to meet up with the Sox in the Postseason???

One of the nicest guys I ever had the pleasure of sharing a boat with.

I wish ya luck Doug, and I hope ya help Boston shed that curse.....I know you won't let one go through your legs!!

OK RON.....

How would YOU react if the boss called you into his office today and told you, "Ron, I don't know when, but we're going to fire you. You've done a great job, but we just have to let you go. You can still continue to work, but when we decide it's time, you are gone. Have a good day."

I bet you would whine for a week too....

I guess all the guys the Twins trade away are good guys, but there is probably alot more business logic behind the trades then what we know.

The people pulling the strings are baseball people, they make their living at it. We as fans, second guess their decisions, but when you look back over it, they make what turn out to be some pretty good moves.

Sure, there are some that get away, Ortiz being the most recent, but in my humble opinion, I don't think DM is going to be one of them.

He is a top glove man, no doubt, everyone who has seen him play, will give him that, it's the batting average...why could'nt he swing the bat for us once in awhile, like he did for Boston the other night? Even every once in awhile would have been fine, but I guess that is old business, the ship has sailed!

Tom, comparing the trade to getting fired isn't really accurate. DM didn't lose his job and doesn't have to worry about his next pay check. He's just doing it somewhere else. Every player out there knows that getting traded is a very real possiblity, even if you've had a terrific career. Look at Garciaparra, for example. How many players make it through a career with one team these days? It's actually the players who create trade possiblities due to free agency. Owners know their chances of losing players at the end of a contract are high, so why not trade, even though Doug wasn't in the last year of his contract. At least you get something more in return than just a hand shake. It's a downside for the players in return for megabuck salaries. Players are expendable and they know that. DM wasn't having a good year anyway and that's part of the dog-eat-dog reality of pro sports. Besides, it's easy for a player to withold from bad mouthing anybody when the mike is in his face. He doesn't want to look like a whiner. Mientkiewicz played his way off the team.

On the positive side of things, how many can remember when Doug first played for the Twins and actually carried them on his back for the first 6 weeks or so with his bat and outstanding, almost super-human, plays at firstbase? Wow. That was exciting to watch and I'll never forget it.

Your right Greg. Great plays and at that time Dougy was spanking the ball all over the ballpark. I'm going to miss him and all he did for the team, but the twins are a small market team and every few years they have to reload with guys that have lower salaries. One other positive thing, Morneau hits the ball harder and farther than anyone the twins have had in a long time and will be a real threat in the lineup for what should be quite a few great years!!! The twins should be competitive for a while after this year with all of the young talent that they have.

Anyone have any information on if his fishing tournament is going to continue? My business partner & I were going to fork in the $500 - $1,000 each to fish in it next year.

A great way to support resources research and also get a tax write off and also FISH!!!

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

Trading Dougy was the best move the Twins could possibly have made at this time, icluding trading for anyone...and I mean anyone. Dougy couldn't stand seeing that sweet swing of Moreau's and went off the deep end last week. He completely lost his perspective and quite a bit of his dignity. He had become a cancer to the team and was rightfully extracted. Cheers to Terry Ryan for pulling it off in the 11th hour.

And yes, I am a die hard Twins fan.

Did you hear Doug's wife on Hartman Tuesday? They're a bigger whinners than I thought. Someone must have forgotten to tell Doug about Wally Pipp.