• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trade talk

Your post in the other thread was a good one...Randy Johnson is probably the big 'trade-prize' right now. Are the Twins willing to pick up his salary for the rest of the year?

Jones and Mientkiewitz aren't what the teams that are now dumping salary are looking for. They want prospects. To get a good starter (and there are a few other ones that may be available...Russ Ortiz in Atlanta, for one) they have to give up some good young players. Ford, Restovich, JD Durbin, Jesse Crain...two or three of those guys and a willingness to absorb the remainder of a large contract will get you a front line starter...maybe even Randy Johnson.

If the Twins win the next two games against the Sox, I would worry that ol' Carl will think the team is good enough, and not want to make a move. If the Twins get whooped the next couple games, then maybe Carl will open up the wallet and make a move or two.

Wouldn't Randy Johnson be sweet? A starting rotation of Johnson, Radke, Santana, Silva, and Lohse...Johnson, Radke, Santana in the playoffs...

That rotation would make the Twins style of smallball legit. They would still need their hitters to hit over .250 (which most of them are hovering around now) in order to get their pitchers some run support.

Man, that post-season rotation would be pretty formidable....

Sorry fellas. Wishful thinking on the Twins part. First of all, Pohlad will not spend the money. Second, there is no way George Steinbrenner is going to let Randy Johnson into the American league unless he is a Yankee. Same goes for Russ Ortiz.

That's what this thread is for...wishful thinking.

Agreed that those guys will never see the AL unless they join one of the big market teams...but it's nice to dream grin.gif

A few other starters that could be available would be Ted Lilly from Toronto...

Montreal should be starting their annual fire sale soon...maybe Zach Day or Livan Hernandez could be had...

How 'bout Jones to the Dodgers for Jeff Weaver? He'd be a nice addition...and the Dodgers could use some offensive help...

But the most likely would be Kris Benson from Pittsburgh. He's in the last year of his contract, and while he's not a real prime starter, he would help the back of the rotation...he could probably be had for either Ford or Restovich at this point.

My dream trade would be for Eric Milton. What in the world were the Twins thinking when they dumped him? He has been their only power pitcher for the last 5 years, until Santana. Why keep Radke(age) and Lohse(average RH pitcher)?

Wishful thinking is right. It would be great to get anyone with a pulse for the 5th spot. However, that is not a priority for the Twins right now.
Remember the days of Rich Robertson and Scott Aldred? That was a truly bad rotation. The guys we have now all look like Cy Young compared to that garbage.

The Twinks have to start hitting. It is absolutely horrible watching them run up to the plate, flail the bat around, and quickly go sit down. Since the start of May the Twins are batting .246, worst in the AL.
Is Stewart that valuable to our lineup? Apparently so.

I love Lew Ford, but he would be much better suited for the #2 slot in the lineup. If only we actually had a true #3 hitter!! Ford is our best bet. I just don't like a lot of Twins hitters. I'm a true, loyal fan, but it's hard sometimes. We can't complain, at least we are competitive every year in the weakest division in baseball history.

Mark these words. In three years, Cleveland will win the World Series. I love the young players on that team. They are all hustlers and can flat out hit!
Sabathia, Lee, and Westbrook are the next Mulder, Hudson, Zito (or should I say Harden?).

I guess I really had nothing to say in particular, just felt like rambling.

Yeah, I didn't like the Milton trade either. But remember that we got Silva in that trade, so while we would be better off at the number three spot in the rotation(Milton instead of Silva), we would still have problems at four and five.

You're right about Cleveland...even with all of their bullpen problems, they are only one game under .500 and four games back. And you missed Jason Davis and Jason Stanford...they will also be good pitchers. And they have the young position players, too...Martinez at catcher, Hafner at first, and they are loaded in the outfield...Gerut and Crisp playing right now, Escobar, Sizemore, and the guy they got from LA in the Bradley trade (I forget his name). They also have Ryan Ludwick yet. Some bullpen help, and this will be a VERY good team in a couple of years.

Its almost a positive, the twins will pick up some has been, like they do every year.
that way they only have to pay them the minimum salary.

Knoppers,
Last year's "has been" was Shannon Stewart! So there is a chance they will pick up somebody that still has a pulse.

Milton's overrated. His ERA has never been very good. They just score a lot of runs for him and he gets the win. If Radke had gotten Milton's run support this year he would be in the running for starting the All Star game. The Twins are in desperate need of offense. Getting Stewart back would be nice but they need more out of Hunter, Jones, Koskie, and Monkey wrench sucks!!

I agree with Juggs. We had Milton and I never thought he was that good. It is about time for Milton to go on the DL, isn't it? Geez, I hope I didn't jinx the guy. Also, it always seems that when a pitcher goes from the American League to the National League, they pitch great. Is the DH that big of difference?
Flash
"Set the Hook"

• 3 weeks later...

Trade Hunter, Jones and Cuddyer for Carlos Beltran. There is your number three batter and the outfield would be Stewart (left) Ford (center) and Beltran (right). That would be an excellent defensive outfield and what an offensive lineup they could make.

Milton said he would not sign with the Twins, that's why they traded him. Ford has played only half a season. Avg. is starting to drop. Everyone thought Mays was good. He had 1 good year and thats it. WE got more prospect than the yankees, so why not try for Johnson. Yankees only give up more cash. It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

As much as I hated to see Milton go, he wasn't worth the money based on his history. He may disprove that, but they needed to go with facts. Too bad they didn't do that with Mays...

Jones, Hunter, & Koskie simply have to start hitting, if they don't none of the rest matters. I love those three guys, but they simply aren't doing the job right now. Ford is a solid player, but if he was the savior he'd have made the majors before age 27, he'll be 28 in August. I'd be fine with them trading Cuddyer or Restovich or both for another pitcher, even with a draft pick if it's a proven commodity. I don't know that they'll find anyone to take that deal.

As for Cleveland they're going to get better definitely, but it will be interesting to see if they're great young nucleus of position players tops out short of wonderful like ours seems to be doing. I love our team, but they maybe just aren't that great of hitters.

The Twins have reportedly been talking to the Pirates about Kris Benson. Initially, the Pirates asked for Morneau, and the Twins told 'em to take a leap. Now, they're asking for Cuddyer...the Twins are balking at that, because Koskie will (probably) be gone next year, and they are planning on having Cuddyer be the everyday 3B. Maybe they can get Benson for Restovich...

Maybe they'd take Restovich & Mientkie-vitch for Benson? (I couldn't remember how to spell it so I butchered in on purpose.) I don't think they will, but as much as I like Doug & as good a defensive player as he is, I think they'll have to make a spot for Mourneau.

I don't think the Pirates would be interested in Mient-K, but he probably would draw interest from a contending National League team that could use a decent left-handed bat off the bench, and a good defensive replacement. If Morneau keeps playing well, they could pick up some bullpen help or middle infield depth for Minky.

taxmancometh,

I stand corrected, you're right it wouldn't be a player to be named later. I know that too, just made a fopah (sp).

- bigbucks -

Usually draft picks don't get traded in MLB. Usually they put that player to be name later or cash in there for extra incentive!

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

- bigbucks -

Usually draft picks don't get traded in MLB. Usually they put that player to be name later or cash in there for extra incentive!

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE