• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What do you think of the "proposed" new slots .

The DNR is expected to decide on the new slots within 7 days. The current proposal is for a slot of 14-16 with a limit of 4 and one over 28. The slot would then change on June 10 to 14-17 with a limit of 4 and one over 28. They even considered banning night fishing all together. Heres what gets me, they are saying that the bite this winter was an unexpected good one which i wont argue with. But has anyone been checked by a creel person this year?

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grabs

• Evenflow

• Cyberfish

• bturck

The slots are fine with me, I just like to catch and release a bunch of hawgs! I can always go to a local lake and catch gills for eatin' and they taste just as good.
With such tight slots they do not need to ban night fishing! I had so much fun last year at night, and will not be fishing the big pond much if they take that away from us.

Cyb

That doesn't make me too excited about spending too much time on Mille lacs next season. Sure, it is a thrill to catch a few big walleye, but I am really not interested in hanging one on the wall, For all the time and money spent there it would be nice to be able to take home a meal or two, and well I guess four slot fish would be a meal for several folks, some days the slot fish just don't show up... especially with a slot that tight. The slot limit may be the way to prop up the larger end of the population, but what good is it if the crayfish get to dine on walleyes that died of old age? I say loosen the slot up a little, four fish is fine, even three with a wider slot would be better, but it starts a slide down a slippery slope, in my opinion. And can the one over 28" and make it one over 31" anything less than 30" isn't really a trophy or a once in a lifetime fish these days, and that 28" incher may make it to another spawning season and contribute a lot more to the future of the lake than a 17" or 18" fish would. Ban trolling, not night fishing. $0.02

To the DNR:

What's wrong with night fishing?? It's not like we're using spot lights and spears, or even worse, GILL NETS!!!!! Don't even get me started!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!
Rusty

Good idea about a lower limit and wider slot, but why ban night trolling?
Sure, trolling is the most productive method most of the time, but walleye caught on artificial bait are much more likely to survive after release. If any method of night fishing is to be banned, (And I dont believe any should be)it would be the slip bobber n leech fishers who often gut hook their fish.

Cyb

Cyberfish, where did you read anything about a wider slot. We currently have 14-18" and they are proposing 14-16" until the night ban and 14-17" after. I see nothing wider about that.

I think it is time we lower the one over limit to say somewhere in the 22-24" range. The population seems to be huge in this range, and these fish are big feeders. This may help some of the imbalance that we are all seeing.

D-man,

Ive not been checked by a creel person in about 5 years. How do we get the responsible people at the DNR fired? Who keeps tabs on them?
Im serious.

I think the slot should be at least 15 to 17 inches,we have caught alot of 14.5 inch fish this winter and throw most of them back cause there is not much to them.

I don't mind the slots too much. Pictures of big fish are fine with me. You can always bring home some perch to eat. I don't think it is right to ban night fishing though. Night fishing is one of the best times to hit Mille Lacs in the summer. I couldn't imagine ice fishing Mille Lacs if you can't do it at night.
Good Fishing, Matt.

D-Man

Here is my problem with the slot limit in general. The slot is generally in the 14" to 18" range, The gill net mesh size requirements are such that these are also the fish that are targeted.
As we are already seeing, there is a decline in population of the slot size fish, and as the upcoming year classes reach this size, they too will get hammered. In the next few years we will end up with the now 20" and above fish aging into the 27" and above not so productive spawners. The hatch rate will go down due to infertile eggs, therefore there will be less fish reaching the slot size, the older hawgs will begin to die off, and we will be left with Red Lake #2.

What is the answer? I don't know, I'm not a fisheries biologist, but it would make sense to me that the slot must be a rotating slot I.E. 14"-17" one year 18"-20" another etc etc to spread out the pressure on the year classes. The slot SHOULD NOT coincide with that years gill net mesh requirement. All hook and line should be changed to barbless hooks only, to increase the viability of released fish, and the possession and daily limits should be the same. Hell if ya freeze them they don't taste the same anyway!

D-Man,

The best point you made was has anyone been checked this winter? I fish Mille Lacs quite a bit and only have been checked twice. Both times occured three years ago. If the DNR is serious why don't they have resorts log fishing reports. IE: quanity caught and what size. I personlly believe the walleye population is much higher then the DNR says. Look at the fishing success we have had in the last few years. I am concerned that we may be in our hay days now and that if they walleye population isn't put into balance we may really start seeing a decline. Where are the small perch (bait fish?) I would rather have a 14-18 inch slot with only 2 fish rather than the 14-16 inch slot and 4 fish. Well that's my 2 cents. I'm just going to enjoy going out on the big pond tommorow. Everyone have a nice weekend.

Seeker

Everybody need to keep in mind that this slot proposal was brought on by the advisory group which is made up of resort owners and bait shop owners among others. As for Walleye Seekers comments on have the resort owners keep a log; what is in it for them, obviously the DNR doesn't have money to pay them. I don't fish Mille Lacs in the winter, but in the summer I frequently fish the lake and about half the time I am checked for a creel count.

Grabs, I was responding to cold ones post.
I am aware that the wider slot is for the winter season only.
I am more concerned with night fishing bans than slot widths, as I mainly like to go for trophy eyes on "the Pond"

Cyb

www.gemfishing.org

If the slot narrows, it will take away a lot from the Lake. I think the slot is tough enough. I would rather see the daily limit reduced to even as little as three and the slot increased to maybe 16 to 20 or 18 to 20. I like to fish, but I also like to eat and I am frustrated when I catch so many fish outside the slot limit. I am for conservation, but keep in mind that there are no catch and release Carp fishermen. We fish for Walleye's because they taste good. I don't want to the DNR to ask me to pay for a lisence and then tell me that I can't keep any fish. Because of the strict slot limit, they are telling me and everyone that we cannot eat the catch that everyone pays for. Fishermen don't exist for Guides and resorts to make money, they exist for fishermen.

I proposed a "walleye stamp" a couple of years ago. Since we cant count on the state and tribe to put fish back in, i would be in favor of a $10-$15 stamp to loosen up the slot. Hire a private contractor to do the stocking. I realize that some of "our" stocked fish would eventually get in the nets,but i think we would see the boats again and get the people to come back. i cant tell you how many times on a weekend last summer i could look from shore and count the boats on one hand. What do you think about this stamp? Would it or wouldnt it work? How many people buy duck stamps that dont even hunt???

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

I'd agree with a slightly larger slot limit with a four fish limit throughout the whole state!
I, for one, really enjoy a meal of walleyes - those in the 14-17 inch slot are juuuuust right. My family of five feels the same way. Four decent sized fish would feed us all with a few extra potatoes ta' boot.
Only problem I've got is my complete lack of experience on Mille Lacs. I'm an OK fisherman, in fact pretty darn good at times, but I get the impression that you've gotta be really good, or at least know the water pretty well on ML to come up with enough fish through the ice for a meal.
Is it difficult to catch fish within the current slot, will it be any easier to catch fish in a slot that's 1 inch wider?
I simply love to catch a few fish. I'd be happy with a dozen eatin' size perch and a couple three fryin' size eyes! Can a person do that on Mille Lacs with any consistancy? I come from up by LOW, so this would be a pretty common day up there. Enough to eat - but not to much.

Just as an FYI to those of you speaking of a slot that is 1" wider: THE CURRENT SLOT IS 14"-18"

There is not going to be a wider slot, it is going to be narrower than the current one.
Yes much of last summer we saw a slot that was 14"-16", and going to 17" would give us an additional inch, but this probably will not apply to the ice season, which will probably see the same slot as now.

D-man
I feel the slot is to tight, I think a slot of 14-18 and only keeping 2 fish is a better way of doing it. Mille Lacs is a very unique fishery and I agree the dnr has to have some type of regulations to keep the fishery the way it is. There isn't to many lakes within a hr. of a major metro area that offers the kind of fishing we experience on Mille Lacs. I love eating fish but thats keep this lake a world class lake.

Guys I don't see why everyone is so pissed off about the slot. Yah I see what you're saying about certain year classes getting pounded and I am worried about that. But I could care less if I brought home any fish. I can catch fish somewhere else to eat but only on Mille Lacs can you go and catch all kinds of nice fish and you always know you have a chance for a hawg. That's what keeps me coming back not for fish to eat.

I have to agree with willy. i don't care if it's all catch and release if that is what it takes to keep the fishing at the point it is right now, because i don't know where else you can go and catch 50 eyes some nights and have a 5 pound average. if you realy need food that bad fish for pout, they taste just like cod i've heard!

If the slot size is increased as it was for last seasons opener this means we reach total weight quotas quicker thus leaving the DNR no choice but to tighten or restrict.
I don't have the answers as to what to do.
Good Luck!

Personally I would rather see a wider slot limit and be able to keep fewer fish. This would give you a few fish to eat and yet you would still have to throw the majority back. Just as long as you get to bring something home and still catch the numbers like now, I think everyone will be happy.

I don't know what the correct formula would be for maintaining the fishery, but whatever that formula is I support it. Even if it includes a tight slot.
Someone posted earlier that they should reduce the "trophy" slot to 25 or 26" since those fish are nearing the end of their reproductive ability.
Make sense to me, although I wonder if the reason for keeping those big fish in the lake is that it gets the Indians to their quota quicker with fewer fish.

This was taken from Rockman's Report:

I WOULD LIKE TO START OFF BY SAYING THAT I DID ALL THAT I COULD DO TO KEEP THE BAG LIMIT AT 6 FISH, BUT WITHOUT THE SUPPORT OF ALL OF THE OTHER BUSINESSES AROUND THE LAKE, WE DIDN'T HAVE A CHANCE, I'M NOT A NEGOTIATOR BUT I DO KNOW THAT YOU DON'T GO INTO NEGOTIATIONS WITH THE WILLINGNESS TO GIVE UP ANYTHING THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO. WELL, THAT'S NOT HOW THE REST OF THEM FEEL, THEY HAVE THIS ATTITUDE THAT THEY HAVE TO GIVE IT ALL AWAY, I WONT MENTION ANY NAMES, BUT 2 OF THE BIGGEST RESORTS ON THE EAST AND WEST SIDE JUST GAVE AWAY 2 FISH, FROM A 6 FISH BAG TO A 4 FISH BAG. WHAT WAS REALLY SCARY WAS THAT THEY ALL LEFT THE MEETING FEELING GOOD ABOUT THE GREAT MILLE LACS GIVE AWAY. IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE. THEY PUT US IN WORSE SHAPE THEN WE HAD BEEN LAST YEAR, STILL A 2 INCH SLOT, BUT NOW WE WILL NEVER HAVE A 6 FISH LIMIT AGAIN, THEY JUST ALLOWED THE DNR TO BULLY THEM WITH SCARE TACTICS LIKE, "WELL YOU KNOW WE ARE ALREADY OVER OUR ALLOTMENT FOR THE WINTER SEASON" AND "IF WE GO OVER THEN WE WILL HAVE TO SHUT DOWN THE FISHERY". WHAT A CROCK OF SH*T !!!
THEY DON'T HAVE A CLUE OF THE SAFE HARVESTABLE LIMIT IN THIS LAKE, THEIR NUMBERS ARE WAY OFF AND THE MODEL THAT THEY USE TO FORMULATE THOSE NUMBERS IS , WELL LET'S JUST SAY ITS LIKE TRYING TO BOB FOR APPLES IN A SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANT. IMPOSSIBLE, WELL THE DNR CARRY THE SAME STENCH, THEY ACT AS THOUGH THEY ARE WORKING IN OUR BEST INTEREST, YOU KNOW JUST AS CAIN DID FOR ABLE.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO THIS
FISHERY, BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT WE ARE ON A
COLLISION COURSE TOWARDS CHANGING THIS LAKE
FOREVER, WE ARE ALREADY SEEING THE BAIT FISH
POPULATION BEING DEVASTATED BY ALL OF THE BIG FISH THAT EAT 5 TIMES MORE THAN THE SMALLER FISH, BUT THAT DOESN'T SEEM TO WORRY THE DNR, AS THEY ARE JUST MAKING IT WORSE WITH THIS RESTRICTIVE SLOT LIMIT THAT ALLOWS FOR THOSE FISH OUT OF THE SLOT TO MULTIPLY, THEREFORE IT WILL KEEP PUTTING PRESSURE ON ALL OF THE FISH IN THE LAKE, ALL'S I CAN SAY IS THAT MORE OF YOU WHO FISH THIS WONDERFUL BODY OF WATER, NEED STAND UP AND BE HEARD, WE ON THE WEST SIDE DON'T HAVE A CHANCE AGAINST THE EAST SIDERS , WHO ARE SO WILLING TO JUST GIVE IT ALL AWAY, THERE ARE ONLY 6 RESORTS LEFT ON THE WEST SIDE, AGAINST 25 ON THE EAST SIDE, SO I SAY TO YOU, "WE MUST ALL BAND TOGETHER TO STOP THE MADNESS", KNOWN AS THE GREAT MILLE LACS GIVE AWAY, NOW BACK TO THE REPORT.

THE WALLEYES ARE STILL BITING, THE NIGHT BITE IS ALL THERE IS. THE PERCH HAVEN'T SHOWN THERE FACES AROUND HERE YET, BUT WE ARE STILL HOPEFUL THAT IT WILL CHANGE SOON, UNTIL THEN WE WILL JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT AND POUND A
FEW MORE WALLEYES.

Be Safe,
The Rockman

Take what you wish from that, but I am beginning to really worry more and more about the future of the lake! Right now I am going to enjoy it while I can, but as a 24 year old, I am worried that I won't be able to share such a great fishery with any children I may have. I think we need to have a public meeting where people can express there opinions. Who can get such an event organized! Maybe a televised event too! That way we can get more people informed of what is going on here.

Ok enough, I am just getting worked up now!

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 02-06-2002).]

Two points I'd like to address and maybe someone a helluva lot smarter than I am can shed some light at least on point #1.
I spoke with a resort owner on the West Side on Monday and he told me there has been discussion about attempting a buyout of the Wisconsin tribes who account for the majority of the netting. Is that correct, and if so who would head up the effort. I personally would not have a problem with the walleye stamp alluded to in an earlier post. I don't have to put a price tag on my recreation. I do enjoy a meal of good walleye and was fortunate to have 3 in the slot. For my wife and I that was two great meals.
Point #2: I have personally talked to people who have been so p***** off at coming to the lake and having to release fish that they started to cheat and do whatever they could to take illegal fish from the lake. This is not one isolated instance it is happening a lot and its sad that people are feeling in their minds that if the fish are release they will be netted anyway, so why not try and sneak one or two home with them. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know there are resort owners on the lake who are scared of what the future may bring. This is a marvelous resource and we need to pull together to protect it.

Two points I'd like to address and maybe someone a helluva lot smarter than I am can shed some light at least on point #1.
I spoke with a resort owner on the West Side on Monday and he told me there has been discussion about attempting a buyout of the Wisconsin tribes who account for the majority of the netting. Is that correct, and if so who would head up the effort. I personally would not have a problem with the walleye stamp alluded to in an earlier post. I don't have to put a price tag on my recreation. I do enjoy a meal of good walleye and was fortunate to have 3 in the slot. For my wife and I that was two great meals.
Point #2: I have personally talked to people who have been so p***** off at coming to the lake and having to release fish that they started to cheat and do whatever they could to take illegal fish from the lake. This is not one isolated instance it is happening a lot and its sad that people are feeling in their minds that if the fish are release they will be netted anyway, so why not try and sneak one or two home with them. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know there are resort owners on the lake who are scared of what the future may bring. This is a marvelous resource and we need to pull together to protect it.

I think a buyout is a brilliant idea, and actually very economical (providing the tribes want the $2/pound going rate for their fish). But I'm not sure the government should be involved in the buyout, why don't the resort owners pool their money and do it seeing as how they are the ones who would benefit from any increased business in the area and they are (supposedly) hurting so badly from poor business lately.

On a different topic, I heard the treaty states the President can change the treaty at any point via Presidental order. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? Whether or not Bush would ever do it is a different question.

------------------
It's all just theory till you hit the water.

Evenflow, you are correct about the Presidential Powers clause. The treaty does state that, The powers of this treaty rest in the hands of the President. Now, how do we get Bush to give the treaty the boot!

Now that could get catchy!

"Boot the Treaty Bush, Boot the Treaty Bush!"