• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Havin' Fun

Weekend Report

Havin' Fun

Fishing was great!!
Fished the northshore and had a blast. Weather was awesome and so was the fishing. Took home 12 walleyes in the slot between 2 of us. Released alot of fish. We released 8 fish over 24" and 2 in the 28" range. Lots of 12-13" ers. Great time. Got 20 nice perch too. The key was to move around ALOT!! I think I cut 100 holes this weekend. Fish a hole for 2 minutes and if nothing was there, move.
Spoons and fathead heads.

Ice was 18-20 everywhere. Don't do what I did and drive all over at night. Tried to Drive to Garrison and had to drive over a few heaves. Drove past where the truck went through. Scary. Otherwise ice is good.

EBass

Hammer em'

Where "abouts" did you go? My friends and I launched from Rocky Reef. I caught a small eel pout.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rather be fishing.
Thanks,
EBass

Havin' Fun

Ebass,

Like I said, northshore, and move. If you want me to be more specific, the flats. Won't tell you which one, but I wasn't the only one there. Just get as far away as you can. The key really was to move around. 100 holes is alot and truly, my arms are feeling it right now. Thank god for gas power.

We actually caught quite a few mid day. You just have to be mobile. Same for the perch. Even got 2 walleyes on wax worms. Just slide off the flats as the sun comes up. 25-30 feet.

I fish Mille Lacs 2-3 times a year. Things rarely change out there. Get away from the crowds and move.

Havin' Fun

Yes, Ice is good everywhere I went. 18-20" With the cold weather it should improve. Just drive slow if it's dark to watch out for the heaves.

bigeyes

hammer em, what resort did you go out of to drive to the flats? What were some of the flats that were accessible from that resort by truck. I fished out of Seguchie on Sat. and fishing was very bad and there was a 15 foot crack about 200 yards from shore, no way around it on that side so I had to fish ontop of a crowd in a very containted area. Ice was also only about 12 inches. I thought that only atv's were going out to the flats, did you see alot of other trucks?
Thanks
Thanks

Havin' Fun

Either I don't know how to measure or I'm an idiot, but there was plenty of ice out all over. It did not matter. I drilled nearly 100 holes and they were all the same. I was out all over the lake. 2-8 miles out on the north shore. I did drive over several of the heaves. Just looked for best spot to cross. I did go over a bridge by Garrison from the Garrison bait store. It goes over that crack.
And yes, there were trucks everywhere. I spoke with a DNR officer who told me about Ice conditions before I went out. So if your unsure, find one and ask. He told me 18+ just look out for the cracks.

Good luck.

Johnny B

I went out of Red Door on Saturday afternoon. They have two decent bridges over a couple of heaves, the rest of the ice was fine.

Not a spectacular report: In 30' of water off a small flat, I caught two fish over the slot, two fish in the slot, five just under and one little cigar. Also got a couple jumbos. I got most everthing on a glow-spoon, nothing on the set lines. Each fish just hammered the spoon! I love it when they do that!

<;))))><

[This message has been edited by Johnny B (edited 01-28-2002).]

Walleye #1

I have to agree with Hammer'em!
Me and some buddies came up for the weekend and started on the south end of the lake near McQoids. The fishing was slow! We moved all over and only caught 4 fish. So we packed up shop and headed for Garrison and the mud flats.
The fishing was a matter of night and day! We kept moving around, and in the end we caught about 8 fish in the 16-19 range and 3 26"inchers on Sunday, along with some nice bonus perch. Fatheads and swedish pimples were the bait and lure of choice. The pimples worked best if they had some kind of green on them. We did catch a couple fish on pink jig heads as well. I hope to get back up soon.

Keep the lines wet

Dennis, myself, and one other guy iced about 42 walleyes on Saturday evening. Of those we had 14 in the slot. Not to shabby!

CROSS THEIR EYES!!!!!

EBass

Hammer em'

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot. Sounds like you know what's going on.

Just one more Q then I'll stop bothering ya. You drove all around in a truck right?

Thanks,
EBass

Fished out of Hunter's Point from Sunday night until Tuesday morning. Only one 19" fish during primetime on Sunday and squat through the night. We heard much of the same from the others we talked to. Kind of thinking the drastic change in weather Sunday afternoon/evening may have had something to do with it. Anyway, fishing was much improved on Monday...15 walleyes (only one within the slot and quite a mix with the smallest at 9" and the biggest at 23"). We actually did better with set lines than jigging. Specifically, red hooks w/ golden shiners were working for us (couldn't buy a fish on a fathead or rainbow). We were fishing the transition from sand/rock into mud in 29-30 feet of water. Only three jumbos for the trip. Good luck to anybody heading up this weekend!

><(((>

P.S. If ELW is reading this, thanks for the reply last week.