• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has anyone fished this lake this year? Any good or bad news to report?

Went out last night. Picked up a few bass and 4 pike in the east bay on spinners. It's been pretty slow for bass. The weather should start perking them up though.

[This message has been edited by bass-o-licious (edited 06-03-2004).]

Doc,

Throw this post on the East Central Lakes. It should get some more hits. I haven't been on Big Marine yet, but have plans for early next week to hit it.

------------------
God bless,
Judd Yaeger
Yaeger Guides
(Twin Cities Guides)
www.yaegerweb.com/guide

Fished last night from 5-9 pm. I caught a dozen small bass and one 15" bucketmouth. Tons of small sunfish in the pencil weeds/bullrushes. Caught a dozen crappies on a jig and minnow in the weeds also. 3 were over 10" long. I could only catch them in one spot. The largest fish still had eggs in it. I read a report about Red Lake where the guide said they had spawned up there already. Not sure if they have here or not. Maybe the fish I caught was a late bloomer or maybe the crappies have not spawned yet and are still awaiting warmer water temps to move in shallow. I spent some time looking for the slabs in the weeds and only saw one small one feeding on top of the weeds. Anybody else have any luck for crappies out there?

• 3 weeks later...

Was anyone on Big Marine on Sunday? I haven't been there in about 10 years and I think I picked the wrong day to go back...

Is the north landing always this busy??? I parked 19 truck/trailers back from the landing and there was just as many going the other direction on the road....

I didn't think the fishing was all that hot...Did anyone else have any luck this weekend?

SL

[This message has been edited by sunrise lipripper (edited 06-21-2004).]

Was out fishing friday evening with my father for his father day gift. We were fishing on the slop, with tequila sunrise worms on the surface caught 3 largemouth, missed numerous. Then went to the underwater hump by the island and bobber fished with leeches. 1 small walleye.

Sunrise, ABA had a Bass tournament on Sunday. I'm sure it's not always that busy.

Jo

Went out yesterday with my wife and 2 small kids and picked Big Marine as I thought it would be a little off the beaten path and not too busy. HOLY COW! I figured there was a tournament of some kind, but it would have been nice to know that before driving there.

Is there any site or forum that lists the larger tournament events and when and where they are fishing so we weekend warriors can choose elsewhere?

Jaypo

You could try Classicbass.com. They list most of the tournaments in this area.

Jaypo - I have found BM to be that busy regardless of a tourney being held. Lot's of big boats/ego's out there. If the wind is coming out of the south, that landing can gets to be a zoo pretty quick. My advice would be to hit another lake especially on a weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Fished saturday from 5-9 pm with the family. Caught lots of 7-8 in sunfish by the pencil weeds in the middle of the east bay. Leeches or crawlers worked great in about 5 -6 feet of water. Tried fishing for crappies after marking fish suspended in 20 feet of water by the entrance to the east bay toward the finger point on the north end of the entrance to the east bay. Caught a few crappies before dark and one smaller walleye on a jig and minnow. Wish I had a underwater camera to see if there were any bigger crappies. The largest one we caught was a 9 incher.

Big Marine has crappies in many classes. Probably caught/released 80 in my last two outings. Some as small as 4 inches, largest 11 1/2. Should be a good crappie lake for many years to come with all the different sizes. Of course that all depends on selective harvest.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been out lately for crappies / sunnies? I was thinking about heading out there solo on saturday and was looking for a current report.