• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We hit South Center this past weekend and HAMMERED the Crappies in 4-5 feet of water. We must have caught 150 fish (Most 9-10 inches) over 2 hours using 1/64th oz yellow and white flu-flu's with a crappie minnow. Couldn't even turn your head without the bobber going down. We threw them all back given available freezer space with Winter Walleyes still not eaten. Grubs caught a lot of small Sunnies but the minnows triggered the Craps. Have at it!

[This message has been edited by Doc Madison (edited 04-21-2004).]

I'm glad to hear yuo guys did well.We caught some 16"-20" sauger/walleye at the dam in Red wing that Friday,along with some carp,sheephead,catfish,buffalo and a few silver bass to boot.As long as fish were tugging on the end it didn't matter what kind they were.
We definitely need to get together for some of that panfish action!!Talk to you later.

Doc

I gather that this was an evening bite or possibly morn bite right? Or did you get these fish in the middle of the day? I have been able to get some fish to bite during the day, but evenings have still been best for me.

Was on North Center yesterday and also hammered the crappies. Our best time was at about 2:00 in the afternoon when we must have caught about 50 fish during that hour from 2-3. We also picked up quite a few sunfish, three northerns, three LM bass and a stray walleye, all of which are still swimming. We were in the bay on the far north end of the lake using colored jig heads and minnows in 4-5 feet of water. It was great to be on the water again.

Gregory, Did you happen to notice if boats can go through the bridge from South Center to North Center? I have a Lund Fisherman that is pretty big. I was planning on going to South Center today, but now your North Center report intrigues me. I know some spots on South Center, but i was thinking of hitting North Center too.

We were able to go through in our Alumacraft TP 175 last Saturday. It was a tight fit, but we got through without a problem. If the rain we got this week raised the water level, you might have an issue. Let us know how your day goes. Good luck.

Max -
We fished from 0830 to 1100. The fish were feeding on the surface so we only set our depth down 1 foot on floats.

Was out on S Center saturday with my parents, forgot the anchor and was left to control the boat with the bow mount, but that worked to our benefit.

We went to the northeastern part of the eastern bay, trying to hold in the wind since it was from the SE. My parents and i would get a bite every 15 minutes or so for about an hour up there, working all around with bare hooks & minnows, tubes, tubes with minnows, and lead heads with minnows, all under a bobber. Water temp from teh 10am time periiod was bout 51 degrees.

Went to teh south shore, south of that island and found 52-53 degree water and less wind. Here in depths ranging from 3-8 feet we would catch pods of crappies. Where you would get one, you would get 2-3. Using the trolling motor helped out since we were still able to cover water but keep it at a slow pace for mom and pop to enjoy lounging on the boat. we managed about 15 eaters with 30+ being thrown back that were smaller.

Baits that i was getting them on after a while was a 1/32oz white curly tail under a bobber, having a minnow on didnt seem to matter after a while, like i said it seemed like there woudl be pods of fish.

I was out on S. Center yesterday from about 8am-2pm fishing mostly around the pancake island area. I was catching crappies at a fast pace when I first got there, but they were all small. Then the sunnies started bitting. I was catching then as soon as my line hit the water, I got a 2lb bass also, (thought I might finally have a big crappie at first), but no. The sunnies were small for the most part also, so all the fish went back in, but you caould catch as many of them as you wanted. Had a fun morn. on the water and the weather was finally nice and warm.