• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone know if they are catching sunfish in patterson park?(Frandsen Park)
Just wondering if there are so i can go out in the boat and catch some to eat.

Dad-n-eye

Not yet. My kids were there yesterday, and nobody was getting anything yet. Maybe by the weekend, if it stays warm, though I hear we're in for a cool down. Hope they're wrong as usual.

Just drove by east and west rush today to see whats happening. not much on east rush from the shore, everyone was prob. back in the channels. West ruch had a bunch of people in patterson bay, but I didn't see much caught; just a couple small sunnies. I think I'll take my boat out when it warms up more and heats up the shallows next week. Then the panfish should be bitting good.

Was out in the boat yesterday and saw a guy catch a sunfish and a crappie while I was in there which was only 5 min. The fish looked to be small. I was heading out there today and was wondering if any has been there for an hour or so to see how it has been.

Recycle your fish and they will grow on you!

Dad-n-eye

Went to Dennis Fran. park yesterday, late afternoon. Caught about 20 sunnies and a few crappies. A little size to sunnies. Son caught one that I couldnt get my hand around. Went home with 16 sunnies. Where are the crappies?????????????

I went on Monday and caught alot of sunnies but not a lot of big ones that I could keep. Saw a guy next to me catch a couple of crappies but they were small. The fishing should pick up as the week goes on.

Tracey
---------------------------------------------
Remember recycle your fish and they will grow on you.

I was out on rush lake yesterday with a buddy also. What a great day on the water weather wise it was! Fishing wise, we caught a bunch of sunnies and some crappies, but most were too small to even keep. We also landed a small pike and a small bass while fishing for sunnies, kind of fun.

The water seemed to be between 45-51 degrees depending on where you were on the lake. We fished E. and W. rush and caught about the same in both. It was great to get the boat out on the water again, I can't wait till the opener. I'll prob. head over to Wisc. for thier may 1 opener since the dnr pushed our opener back to may 15.

I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED! BACK IN ABOUT 92-94 I COULDNT GO WRONG. MY COUSIN AND I HAD A GOOD DAY FISHING SUNNIES AND AFTER THAT I QUITE REGULARLY DID WELL FISHING CRAPPIES ON THE SUNKEN ISLANDS SOUTH OF WILSON ISLAND. BUT IN THE RECENT PAST I HAVE NEVER DONE TOO WELL ON RUSH. THE BIGGER CRAPPIES I DID CATCH WERE JUST OUTSIDE THE CHANNEL ON THE EAST LAKE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT'S HOT AROUND THAT BIG SUBMERGED WEED BED ON THE EAST LAKE? I HAVE HEARD IN THE PAST THAT THE EAST LAKE IS WHERE THE WALLIES GO BUT.... IT'S SO SHALLOW AND STRUCTURELESS!

I PERSONALLY NEVER KEEP MORE THAN I CAN EAT THAT NIGHT FOR A MEAL WITH MY FAMILY.... SIMPLY BECAUSE I LIKE FRESH FISH. I DONT LIKE FROZEN FISH!

just 3 years ago average size pike i was catching was 5# - last year it was only 3#. i used to catch 9" sunfish reg. - now most are around 7". crappies went from 10" to about 8".

Far be it for me to judge, but it's quite possible that just too many quality panfish are being kept. I'd bet it is that simple.

With that being said, it's amazing this lake has stood up to the pressure it has received over the years. I started fishing it in the late '80s and there was a ton of pressure then. And, I bet it was hammered prior to that.

This might be a lake that would benefit from some of the DNR's "toolbox" regulations regarding panfish. I would rather catch 30 monster gills and have the option of keeping 5 then just simply keep 20 boderline keepers.

------------------
Ray Esboldt

Catch-N Tackle
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Loggin in for the East lake:

Sunfishing... none better. Get the 10"+ all over the lake. Last year had several that weighed over 1lb.

Crappies... why go all the way to Red? It doesn't take any more work to get a nice meal at Rush, and I don't have to drive 5 freakin hours, just to have some A Hole scream at me cuz I set up within 30.06 range!

Wallies.... 2 summers ago put back a 32"er that took the old fart around the boat for 15 minutes.

Northerns... just a blast. In the early weeks of the season, just can't keep the 4 pounders off the Wally baits if your bobber fishin.

The only thing I could see improving the East lake pan fishing is to REDUCE the Muskie population! In the past three years I can not count the number of Sunfish I have had stripped, from hits when bringing them back to the boat.

!!!Take what you can eat, and leave the rest for other folks!!!

I will say that both East and West Rush can be good lakes to fish early in the season, but that could be said about just about any lake. The spraying that is done on rush lake really kills off the fishing each year. The weeds die off and so does the fishing, then comes the alge blooms.

I have found it hard to find any decent sized panfish in the spring also. Usually when I go fishing there for panfish it is just for fun, and all ther small and med sized fish I catch go back in the lake. Once and a while I get a nice sized sunnie but not enough so they just all go back. Fortunetly for me the Wisc. opener is May 1st and I don't have to keep dinking around with small fish. I haven't decided where I'll go yet, but I have no prob. paying for a lic. in Wisc to fish 2 weeks earlier than MN.

would have to agree that the size on E. rush is fine, got many 9 inch gills last yeat (no 10's though) several 10 + pound pike too. i also took out one 53 inch muskie (Trophy) probably one of the best lakes within an hour of the metro.

HOW ABOUT THOSE STURGEON THAT WERE DISCOVERED IN RUSH LAKE YEARS AGO?

I get my share of sturgeon in the winter on the croix, i must have landed 25 over 40 inches this winter, not to mention the ones that were "uncatchable" the largest which was 70 inches actually took over 6 hours on 6 lb line. got to be irritating when walleyes were biting too.

Wow that is a big muskie. What were you using to catch that?

Tracey

one day i was fishing on the southwestern most little bay on the west lake and i was just moving along the shoreline coming up to a little point and i felt what seemed like a crappie tapping my fireball jig. now the fish had been biting light that day so i put on one of those little stinger hooks... you know the ones. those little treble hooks on a little short leader... anyways when i set the hook it was like i hooked into a missle. my clutch started singing and i was just dumbfounded ! instead of getting my hands in the way to adjust the clutch,i just reached down and rested my pointer finger on the forward most edge of the reel as this fish was peeling line off like crazy and all of a sudden my line just went, PING... it was all over in less than a minute ! i just threw down my pole and started cursing ! there were people on the shoreline raking leaves and stuff, they just looked at me like i was nuts ! when i regained my thoughts i reeeled up what was left, i thought i broke my line, but when i reeled it in i was surprised to find that all that had happened was that one of the little hooks of the stinger hook had broke off. i never even had a chance to see what hit me... and the craziest part of the whole deal was, how could something soooo powerful bite like that and only get that one little hook in his mouth? it was just bizarre! all i could think about was the 200 some odd pound sturgeon they got a picture of that washed ashore in the fifties there in that resort on the lower west side....

So the legend of "Moss-back" still lives, a fish so large and so old, you can see moss living on his back..................................but, you probably had a snapping turtle. hehe

I got my muskie on a #8 shad rap and 8 pound test- took half hour- also lost a few other hogs last year. i get old mossback was a muskie.