• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I noticed the Rum river flowing when I went thru St. Francis. Has anyone fished this part of the river in town? Looks like a good place to wade thru for smallies in the summer. What about the spring fishing around there?

Mistermom is the guy to ask about the Rum in that area.

Mistermom, paging Mistermom!

You might want to check out this post in the meantime if you haven't already.

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum57/HTML/000487.html

JimW is a small river expert. He may have never fished the Rum, but could give you some good ideas of where to find the smallies and with what. I can tell you they are in the Rum. I just don't know where that far up river.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

anyone ever fish the rum between the anoka dam and the miss? ive gotta think the eyes would come up to spawn there. (fast current, and lots of rubble)

We fish the Rum frequently, I live 5 minutes from the Anoka Fairgrounds boat landing. We concentrate on the stretch between Rum River Park and the Anoka dam.
I know the stretch from the dam to the Mississippi holds walleye, they are caught from shore just below the dam all summer long, not alot of them but few people are trying to catch walleye. Logic would say walleyes would move upstream to the dam in the spring, I think it would be worth a try, I have thought about trying it myself.
The stretch by St. Francis looks very fishy, I am certain it would be productive.
The Rum has yielded some of the biggest smallies we have ever caught, numbers of tubs from 18 to 21 inches and I have had fish on that I know were bigger but either broke off or threw the hook. Autumn is the best when the water temps fall into the 50's.
Current breaks, holes, rocks, fallen timber, all the classic river areas should be checked. The Rum can leave you frustrated and fishless, or you can catch fish after fish, it is truly trophy water. We let them all go. Take a picture and watch them swim away.

RandyR,
I also live very close to the fairgrounds and fish the Rum quit often... Do you target Walleyes with any regular success in the stretch between the dam and the Mississippi? I hit it all year and have trouble staying with any consistant pattern... I jig in the deep holes and work through all the Smallies to get most of the eyes... Just curious how you worked them or how much success you had...

We seem to get our walleyes by accident when fishing for smallies. We sometimes use large minnows with a large split shot and circle hooks (circle hooks work well, we don't ever gut hook fish when using them).
We also use jig and minnows, crankbaits and sometimes plastics. We have caught walleyes on everything but the plastics. I really have not found a pattern for walleye in the Rum, other than they are always tight to the bottom. We have caught them in deeper holes, near the bank, behind rocks, and in the main channel current. When we do get one, it is usually pretty fat, I think 21 inches is the biggest so far, but they are usually around 2 pounds. I suspect there is not a real high walleye population in the Rum, we consider it a bonus catch. We also get an occasional nice pike using the same methods.