• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Conditions for Drive on Areas

I drove out on South Center off of Hwy 8 early Saturday morning...all was fine at that time. I also drove out on So. Lindstrom yesterday from the old access near the northeast end of the channel. That was fine too. But I just thought I'd ask how some of the other area lakes were doing and if anyone noticed any problems? Thanks.

Hey Guys,
I will be venturing out to North Center as soon as I load up my gear here shortly. I will give you a report when I return.
grin.gif

Good Fishin!

Brandon

[This message has been edited by HouseBuyerGuy (edited 02-23-2004).]

that would be great housebuyerguy. and I appreciate everyone else's replies as well. I primarily fish South and North center lakes...so I appreciate the reports...and I'll do the same. I plan on hitting south center again tomorrow night. Good luck to all and be safe.

Was on Rush(west) Sunday the 22nd. It was a little wet on the access enterance, but easily passable. Plowed road all over, no problem.

**Just keep in mind that if you venture off the trail-*DON'T STOP!!!*

Once you stop, the weight of your vehicle makes you sink into the slush under the snow cover. (What is more slippery that ice?? WATER ON TOP OF ICE!!)

Got my limit in 30'OW suspended. Was a lot of work, not hitting quite like pre-spawn-

Be safe, have fun, and ask for forgiveness!(and 4-WD doesn't hurt wink.gif)

RR-4

We drove out on Centerville on Sunday and the road to the houses was a mess. Big, big puddles covering the road. the access from waterworks looked okay when we got there but was all water when we left. Gives you the willies. I think the traffic from the car races really messed it up late Sunday. Might be buying a park sticker to get back out there. Whether it's worth the trip or not is still in question.

I drove on an Anoka County lake on Saturday. Water was beginning to fill the ruts, but it was still passable. I'm sure there's still at least a weeks worth of driving. After that though, might be time to revert back to foot or ATV.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I went by Centerville and it wasn't to bad. There was some water at the access but it was clear and shallow.
Peltier on the other hand was a mess. I didn't even want to attempt to drive out from the public access. I ended up going to Chisago.
I used the access near Frankie's. It had 4 to 6 inches of water that stretched out for about 50-60 yards, but once you got passed that it was fine.
All the snow this past month combined with all the warm weather now might put an early end to driving out on some lakes.
Oh well, there will still be plenty of ice well into March. Just have to walk out.

[This message has been edited by metrojoe (edited 02-23-2004).]

Went out to North Center last Night. Alot of snow out there. Some water on the access and the roads but not too bad. I went off to the side and made my own path.
If you can get out, the fish should be biting. They were showin up on the vex all night. Nothing too big but alot of action!

Had a friend stop out and try to drive his
car out there. He made it to the middle of the lake but as soon as he tried to drive off the road, that's all she wrote! tongue.gif
Off course it was dark by then.
Had to laugh though, as he had to walk across the lake, had no coat or boots, hope that I was still there, and prey that I had my tow chain. Lucky Him!
So after pulling him out, he drove back to shore and I shuttled him out in the 4x4.
Wait till he gets the bill for this one!
grin.gif

Brandon
HBG

Drove out (and fished) green lake west of Cambridge last sat.. Driving was fine, wish the fishing was better.

Was out on S. Center last night. Drove out fine. Getting to be a lot of water near the drive on points...not sure how long it will last. But as of last night it was still ok. I probably won't make it out again until this weekend...so I'll report then. Thanks.

Does anyone know how the driving access is on west rush (the CJ's access). looking to take my father in law out and bald eagle's access is sounding iffy these days. would really like to drive out vs hoofing it but if we gotta walk we gotta walk.

crewdog-

I was out on West Rush last night. Though I did not go out of CJ's, I used the public access just a mile or so north. Ice is still good, a low/wet spot here and there, just don't blast throught the puddles. I drive a full size Ram pickup and have no worries as far as ice thickness goes. I would guess that the ice is around 30" thick still. I have been seeing many two-wheel drive vehicle's going on and off the lake. Just so you have a reference, I am not the first guy(s) to drive on the lake or the last. Stay away from areas that have narrowing, meaning channels, outlets/inlets, and or between islands. You will have no problem if you stay on the plowed roads and well traveled areas.

I have been fishing out there many times in the last week and have had very good results.

Just a tip- I love glow jigs but, I have found that recently, they are not as eager to take the bait if it is glowing. If I do put a shine on the jig, it seems like there is a longer duration before any action(i.e. glow fades).

Be safe, have fun, ask for forgiveness.- RR4

riverrat,
Thanks for the info. Funny thing is I've never had much luck with glowing anything on rush. My best luck has always been with plain hooks. I've also really only fished the deep hole out there any hints on looking elsewhere would be appreciated i'm at [email protected]. (i'm taking my father in law out and I gotta produce It also sounds like my favorite crappie spot on bald eagle is gonna be a wash)

p.s. nice choice in trucks I got the 1500 quad cab-that thing got a hemi!
crw

Fished W. Rush Sat. from 4-10pm by Cigar in 25', 10 crops 8-10". I had no problem driving out with a 4x4, there wasn't much water at all on the plowed road but I'm sure by now thats changed. I used red Fatboys and tiny minnows and they bit the best from 6-6:30 when I Tazered them often.

------------------
(aftacrops nolonga)

Was out on White Bear Friday night...no problem driving out from the public access near White Bear Ave. & hwy 96...not sure what the weekend did to it.
Also, was out on South Center last night...I would suggest driving off the point or some other access other than the hwy 8 access...I went off that hwy 8 side and it was a lot of water...up to the boards!

Anyone been out the last couple days on any of the area lakes?
I was thinking about hitting North Center...is the access still holding up there for driving on and off.
Thanks all...I appreciate the information...hopefully if we can keep this thread current we can maybe help someone from making a bad mistake. Be safe...good luck fishing!

saw a couple full sized trucks on N. Center today....but only a copuple and i don't think ou'll see me driving out there

I was out on N Center yesterday and there were some people driving out there.Several people tho were using ATVs. The spot I was fishing only had about 18 inches of ice but it was soft ice. The auger cut through it alot faster. There is also quite a bit of slush on top too. I walked out. Not going to see me driving out anymore. Did pretty good with the sunfish and crappies.

[This message has been edited by rich4walleyes (edited 03-07-2004).]

As of last Sat. night 03/06...still driving pickups on South Center. Driving was fine...little water near the drive on areas but nothing 4x4 can't handle....but I even saw a front wheel drive minivan out on the lake as well. Just keeping you posted.

I was out on Chisago again yesterday and there is still plenty of ice. We drove on near Frankie's and drove off on the south end. Definitely need 4 wheel drive now. It was a rough ride at times and we'd occasionally hit wet spots that slowed us a bit but never had any problems. The pan fish bite is hot right now. We caught some real nice crappies and a lot of sunfish.

Looks like the weather is going to help the ice stick around for awhile. Nothing against open water fishing, but this is my favorite time for icing panfish.

metrojoe...were you fishing by the A-frame? I'm going out after work tomorrow and I was thinking either Chisago or Peltier. Thanks!

------------------
(aftacrops nolonga)

hanronson,

Yep, thats where we headed first and we caught some nice crappies. We then slid over just south of the eagles nest and got into the sunfish.

Good Luck,
joe

metrojoe...I never made it out today because of the weather. I'm hoping to get out Friday after work instead. I'll post how I do and the ice conditions when I get back. Thanks for the reply.

------------------
(aftacrops nolonga)

I fished Peltier yesterday from 6:30-9:30pm and got 10 crops 8.5-10". I walked out but there were a few vehicles on the ice. Snow cover was almost gone and the ice was >30", no water visable on top of the ice where I walked on next to the fishing pier. I got there too late for sunnies but had fun with the crops, threw back quite a few smaller ones. I used glo red small fatboys with small minnows and euros which I tazered often. The 10"er was caught on euros.

------------------
(aftacrops nolonga)

[This message has been edited by hanronson (edited 03-13-2004).]

[This message has been edited by hanronson (edited 03-13-2004).]

Was out on South Center last night. Not many out there...but the few of us out there drove on. The stuff near the drive on areas was solid. Ice was still about 24 - 30" and was good ice yet.
Please don't charge out onto the ice without first using caution...I'd hate to have someone take my word as gospel and then get into trouble because of it. This time of year it's a day by day basis with the ice and driving on. Please use caution! Thanks...and good luck fishing.

Super good advice, unclejake! It really is day to day this time of year. And, that really goes for the access points.

Heck, most of the snow is gone. A long, brisk walk will do us all some good.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

so what's the latest on South Center? I was blown around a couple smaller lakes on Saturday...so I havn't been up to S. Center since the 14th...at that time I was still able to drive on...I'm guessing now it's a lot more iffy...and probably I'm done driving on...which is fine with me...I was just curious. Thanks.

There were two trucks fishing the area around panckae island earlier tonight. There was also a snowmobile, 4 wheeler and people walking out on north center. I noticed the some shorelines began to open up, most of this was in and around the areas of culverts and already existing open water. I talked to a guy yesterday and he said there's still a couple feet of ice out there, you just have to get to it.

Yep. I was out last night, and there is still quite a bit of ice. The shorelines are beginning to turn into mush.

If it doesn't rain a bunch, another week of walking on is possible. Otherwise, you may need a boat to get to the ice.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy