• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am planning to take friday off and do an all day fish day. Could anyone tell me where there are some good spots to grap some northerns and some crappies/sunnies in the chisago area? I have heard some stories from different people but I thought I should ask the experts for the real deal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Ray,
When I asked for input from experts I didn't think I would get "the" expert. Thanks for the response, I will check it out friday!

Jigstick,

Trust me. I'm the last guy on the earth that would call himself an expert.

The people that post the day to day information here are, at least for that moment, the experts.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Jigstick -

I was by there on Sunday with my sled, noticed the guys had been plowing the lake pretty good so you'll have good access if you've got a car or non-4x4. They've plowed it to about 2 feet of the hole where most guys are fishing. Good luck if you head out.

Lwn

Jigstick...Yes, the A Frame area on Chisago has been decent, for me anyway. I'm talking about crappies though. I haven't pulled any walleyes up yet this year...been there 3 times only though. First time there got skunked but 2nd and 3rd times got some pretty good crappies. Best fishing for me has been after sundown and best presentation has been plain hook and bobber with fathead minnow. Start with the minnow a foot or so off the bottom and move it up 6 inches at a time until you start getting hits. The better fish seem to be somewhere between 4 and 7 feet off the bottom...i've been fishing in approx. 14 fow. Good luck!!

------------------
Hey, you're bobber's down!!

rickmp....I had both crappie minnows and fatheads....started out using crappie minnows but soon realized that the bigger fish were biting on the bigger minnows...or so it seemed to me! It worked out quite well. Biggest crappie i caught was 11 1/2 in...using a big fathead minnow! Go figure! Good luck fishing!

------------------

Wow! That's surprising to me. But I'm glad to hear it was working. Maybe I'll try it. I'm going up to chisago on saturday evening for the night. Maybe I'll see ya there. I might have to give the fatheads a try.

Is it mainly an evening bite, or would it be worth fishing throughout the afternoon?

I have never fished there b4, but it is starting to interest me?

Any help, please!

[This message has been edited by Treeman (edited 02-13-2004).]

rickmp - Yeah, it surprised me too! I did catch crappies with the crappie minnows, too, but it just seemed they were the smaller fish (under 9 inches). I was actually trying to catch a walleye with the fatheads but, what the heck! I'm going up to Chisago this afternoon and fishing into the evening. Only a few days left to try and bring home the elusive walleye! But, if I have to settle for a meal of craps again, thats ok, too! Good luck to ya!

------------------

Treeman - The last few times I've been out I started around 3:30 - 4:00 pm - got a northern and a few sunnies but thats about it. After the sun goes down is when the crappies start biting, at least thats been the case with me. I like to be there for the dusk bite tho, hoping to snag a walleye or two. No luck so far though.

------------------

Thanks for the timing advice.

obviously there is plenty of ice for that not to be a concern, right.

And in about 14 feet of H20. Any luck with waxies, or has it been strickly minnows that are the bait of choice.

Treeman - Fished Chisago again today (Fri) from 2:30 till 11:30 - all the small sunnies you can handle before the sun goes down - small jig and waxies will do the trick - after sundown starting around 6:30/7:00 the crappies started biting. I was using minnows and waxies but they didn't want much to do with the waxies - pretty much a minnow thing. 14 fow again - same spot - south of the A Frame village about a couple of hundred yards...and just east of the road that takes you down to the south end of the lake...even with the southern tip of the grass island. Fished this spot several times now and have had pretty good luck so far. Last time out I caught most of the crappies with the plain hook/bobber. This time most were caught with a tear drop glow jig and minnow. Caught about 30 crappies...sorted out 9 keepers (9 inches and bigger). Good luck fishing!!!

------------------

Thanks Icerookie for the hints.

I think the wife and i will try to make it out there one night this weekend.

If I do I will post my success.

Rookie -

Are you off the point, just to the south of the entrance of the backwater area to the southeast of the A-frame?

Lwn

LwnmwnMan2 - Yes, just south of the entrance to the southern part of the lake. If you were to start driving toward the southern end of the lake, from the A Frame village...look to your right. There's a couple islands on your right. Once you get even with the southern tip of the first island, and if you have a 4x4, just turn left into the snow and go about 20 ft. Check the depth but you should be in about 14/15 ft there. Thats where i've been fishing. There's been no one around me, either. Just have to put up with vehicle's and snowmobile's buzzing past ya. I was there last night...shoveled off about a 10 x 10 area to set up my portable in...you can probably find that spot if you looked. From there and south of there, the map shows that its about 15/16 feet in that area. Good luck if you go out there! The crappie bite is definitely a "night bite" though!

------------------

Rookie -

Depending on the snow for Monday, I hate taking all my salt, snowblower, shovel, spreader, etc. out of my truck, then loading all the fishing equipment in, then taking it all back out to work again, if it's not going to snow, I'll probably be out there tomorrow (Sunday night). I'll be in a white Ram 4 door with a Clam 1060, I and my wife, getting a little tune-up for a trip to Red on Tuesday.

See you then... maybe smile.gif

Lwn

I have been fishing in the south bay most of my trips to Chisago this year. I set up to the west of the group of house in about 12 - 13 FOW. I had been doing great. All the bluegills you want in the day but mostly small to medium, a good number of very nice bass and a pike once in a while. At night I had been getting a lot of very nice crappies. My bite has died on the crappies so I may have to move up to the north end of the lake. Icerookie thanks for the detailed reports.

Had a great day fishing on friday. Caught our limit on crappies, couple sunnies, and a northern. Fished by the A-frame in about 11 FOW from about 8-3. Thanks to everyone who posted replies and got me pointed in the right direction. It was definately worth taking the day off of work!