• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Knife Lake Ice Fishing Contest

Any other FMers coming up for the Knife Sportmen's Club Ice Contest? Fishing's been pretty slow up there from my experience and from what I've heard from everyone else. We'll see what happens as I'll be there! I believe they're also having a pancake breakfast before the event (I believe at Rob's on Knife Lake, anyone know for sure?)

The pancake breakfast is at Knife Lake Sportsmans Club. It's about a 1/4 mile north of Robs on 65, left hand side. 8:00 - 12:00,
$4.00 all you can eat.

Fishing contest is 12:30 - 2:30

From past experiance, you'd be lucky to catch anything at this event. I'll be there though, I have a cabin on the lake and belong to the Sportmans Club, it's the local lake association. The contest is a fund raiser.

Yes, the fishing has been slow, was there 2 weeks ago, only 1 crappie in 3 hours.

From my experience fishing's been pretty slow on the three main lakes around here (Knife, Ann, Fish). Usually it seems like you can go out and at least get a few fish, might be small perch, but this year it seems like everyone is having a tough time. I wonder why this is? I'll be up at the contest. Chances are you catch something you got a shot at the prizes! Can't beat them odds smile.gif

A little dink could be a money fish.
Last year I think a 4 oz. perch won 1st place. Some years no fish are caught and they draw entry stubs for the prizes.
Part of it is they hold the contest in an area I would not normally fish. I have had luck in other spots before and after the contest.

Does anyone have any more info on this event? If I can't make the pancake breakfast, is there a meeting spot that I can buy tickets the day of the event before noon? Is it this weekend? What kind of prizes/money is there for winners or raffle drawings? Is the contest in a specific area on the lake only? Are the holes pre-drilled like the Brainerd event? Can you use a portable to fish in?
Any more info you have would be appreciated.

It's this Sat. the 17th, tickets are $3.00 per hole (holes predrilled), available at the clubhouse in the AM or on the ice, rules posted on the ice (no portables allowed). Usually located straight out from the public access on Hwy. 65 accross from Robs, they mark off a certain area you must fish within.

It's a small local thing, usually between 100 - 200 people. 5 cash prizes (biggest fish by weight, any species) $150 first place. Also door prize drawings during the contest and seperate raffle tickets for other stuff.

I've been there the last 5 years and never caught a fish during the contest, very few are caught, but that doesn't mean you can't win something in the drawings. It's an event, good time, food available on the ice,
1 or 2 portable toilets if you want to bring a couple of beers along...