• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was wondering if anyone fishes smelt on Grindstone or knows where they hang out in the winter. I used to fish them alot in the Ely area and I think I was the only person up there that would fish for the little things, but you can keep a bucket full of fish and not feel guilty for wanting to eat fish. Plus it is kind of fun in a weird way.

Smelt Guy,

All I can say is, welcome to FishingMinnesota.com.

I'm not sure I'd know a smelt if I caught one. There's got to be at least one other closet smelter on this site. Anyone care to 'fess up?

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

you would snag one once in a while while jigging for lakers. One evening just before dark I hooked a nice fat 26" walleye 20' down in 60' and hung around after dark. About 2 hours after dark the whole vexilar turned red, figured it was acting up till I stuck a flashlight down the hole and it was solid fish below. The little guys actually swim up the hole to be caught. According to the DNR they live in Grindstone, if they are there in numbers someone should have seen or caught one somewhere. Out in Maine and Vermont rental houses are available for smelt fishing it is pretty popular there from what I have herd.

Ok, you guys ahve some good ideas.. I have lived around that lake and fished it my whole life and here is whata I can tell you about the smelt.... I am not sure if it is true but this is what I was told... DNR have no idea how they got in there.. when that lake was an experiement lake the stocked it with all sorts of fish but not smelt... they think they have gotten in there from Superior.. now I am not sure if this is true.. but i Ahve heard it my whole life... adn the fish in there... a school friends dad went diving in there on the north end where the caves are and he said he turned around and saw a sturgeon whos head was the size of a bowling ball.... no $%...I can sit here all day and tell you storied about that lake but you now..they might just be storied that are stretched alot.. buto ne thing I can t ell you is.... there are some nice fish in there... saw a 9 lb rainbow pulled out of there and many of walleyes on the east side by the humps..... tough lake to fish but once you learn it..... you can't beat it!

I used to catch all the smelt I wanted right near the road and the outlet on the east side of Grindstone. Go out from the outlet north, until you find 30 or 40 feet of water. Try any small ice bait, very small, that you might use for sunnies tipped with a waxworm. You should have no trouble catching all the smelt you could want. They're bigger then the ones I've netted up by Duluth.

------------------
DIRTBALL2

The smelt fishing sounds interesting -- but is anyone going to hit the lake for lakers next weekend? I've done well on rainbows on Grindstone in the summer but no luck with open water lakers. Last winter we fished lakers in Colorado impoundments and hammered them (40+ fish days) using tube jigs and sucker strips in deep water -- wondering if that would be effective on Grindstone? Also caught some dandy smallies there last summer.

I'll be out there next weekend jigging trout hopefully, never fished it before, but if it is like any other trout lake airplane and tube jigs should work. If I am marking fish that wont take the bait but chase it I put on a walleye size jigging rap on, they usually seem to take the smaller bait. 20 to 60 feet seem to work best for me. Dont Know anything about the lake Im just going to try what has worked in the past and make swiss cheese out of the lake. Someone should speak up about the trout pretty quick once they look at a calendar.

Anyone going to try this lake next Sunday? I have been interested in this lake for a while now, and with trout opener right around the corner this seems to be a great and interesting challenge. Also wondering if anyone has the ice conditions for the lake?

I am thinking about giving it a try this weekend, I have never tried trout fishing from the ice. What type of presentation should I try. What depths, are the fish suspended normally or are they on the bottom. What kind of trout are there in grindstone. Any Starting pionts are appriciated. Thanks, Johnsonator.

Does any body know how thick the ice is out there? planning on going Sat morning and want to know if you can dive across the lake yet. I can already smell those rainbows in the frying pan.

------------------
Shut up and fish!

I went out on Grindstone and there is plenty of ice, about a good 12-14. Went out for crappies but didnt get anything. I saw alot of something on the vexilar, but ever time I raised my minnow or jigged a spoon they swam away, maybe they were smelt?? I will be going for trout this weekend too, last year i caught a couple in about 50 feet of water.

I will be out there Sunday to see about those lakers. Can anyone tell me of any special regs.that I need to be aware of before I head out? Greatly appreciated.

DNR site says you need a trout stamp if you keep any trout, but it's not a designated trout lake -- which I guess means you can use minnows and two lines (can only use one line through ice on designated lakes). Anyone hear anything different for Grindstone?

I was out on Grindstone on Saturday, I didnt get anything, my friend just got a couple smelt. There were a whole bunch of people out there, but it didnt look like anybody was catching anything. Nobody was staying in one spot vary long and it looked like everyone home early.