• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

BigDaddy

I'm headed to a cabin near Markville this weekend. I'm new to the area and would like to ice fish a local lake.

I'd appreciate any tips. I'm looking for lake name, location, and a general tip (northern pike, west shore, 9ft of water, shiners).

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Ray Esboldt

BigDaddy,

Welcome to FishingMinnesota.com.

I am not familiar with the lakes around Markville. Isn't there a Rock Lake and Razor Lake over there?

I'd make a hike to the Finlayson area and try Lake Eleven. I haven't heard anything on it this year, but it's been good to me in the past for keeper size sunfish and some good sized crappies. I know there are some decent pike in there as well. Fish the south shore to the east of the public access. I want to say 13 feet or so. But, you may have to pop some holes to find the panfish. North and South Big Pine is another option in that area.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

BigDaddy

Thanks, Ray.

Eleven on Saturday, Big Pine on Sunday sounds like a plan!

Lastly, any good bait shops in the area?

Joe H
Looking forward to some die-hard fishing this weekend.

Ray Esboldt

BD,

I think I'd stop on the way up. Fish Lake bait in Harris, Cedar Creek Outfitters in Pine City, or Jerry's in Mora are good stops. There might be a bait shop in Sandstone, but I can't remember for sure. So, if you're looking for current information on these lakes, well, you might have to make your own tip. Unless, someone here has a current tip. Anyone?

Definitely go in with the mindset that you might have to drill a lot of holes to find the fish. That's been my experience on the lakes I've been on lately.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

BigDaddy

Thanks, again. I'll post a fishing report next week. I'm not worthy of giving others advice, but I will report on my experiences.

------------------
Fish is supposed to be good for the brain, but fishing is even better for the imagination. Fishing seems to be divided, like sex, into three unequal parts: anticipation and recollection and, in between, actual performance.

hip_hop_fisherman

I know they were having success on Eleven as of a week or so ago. A couple of my buddies were up there and got 9 decent sized crappies and said they threw a few back. Don't know how the cold front affected the fishing however.

Norsk Fisker

B.D. There are a few choices near Markville also if time is a premium. Little Tamarack is OK for crappies (have too sort) and an occasional northern. McGowan gets a lot of pressure for such a little lake but continues to produce sunnies, crappies (more sorting) and an occasional northern.

I would sure like to hear how you do on 11, I have never done well on that lake.

BigDaddy

I tried to get onto Eleven. However, it was all locked in by private land. Not wanting to tresspass.

I headed over to Sturgeon Lake. 1 Northern on tip-up.

hip_hop_fisherman

If I remember correctly, the access for Eleven is on the south side of the lake off of 85. Anyone know for sure??

Ray Esboldt

BigDaddy,

Yes. There's a nice public access on the south side of the lake. Well marked from what I remember.

You sure you were at Lake Eleven? There are a couple lakes around there without an access.

Sorry it didn't work out.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Norsk Fisker

The Lake 11 access is about 1/4 mile North of Co. Rd. 85. From Markville head West, through Sandstone, across the freeway and the Grindstone Lake Road (Co. Rd 27)Head West past Grindstone and you will cross into Kanabec Co. You should come to the intersection of Co. Rd. 20, go North on 20 about a mile or so and you will intersect 85. The access is located on a Township road that intersects both 85 and 20.

Once you find the lake you're on your own.

BigDaddy

Thanks guys. I'll find it next time.

Granny

I may be totally off on this one but are there a couple Lake 11's in the area. There is a Lake 11 southeast of Moose Lake that is surrounded by private land. Sounds like this might be where BigDaddy ended up.