• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey, I haven't ice fished this area much, but just moved to a place on north center this fall. How's the action been thus far. Was thinking of throwing some flags up out front tomorrow after work. Either that or running oveer to S Center for some crappies.

how's the ice been?

Was on s. center last night there was a good 5 inches of ice with some slop on top of the ice under the snow. Fishing was ok some crappies and a walleye right at dark. Good luck if you go

Welcome to the Chisago Lakes area!

I live on(well not on, but across the street from) South Center Lake. If you ever see a White Triton bass boat stop over and say hello!.. Always love meeting FM members.

As for the ice fishing, either choice will be good. If you have access to the north end of North Center you can catch whatever you want up there. There are plenty of crappie in that lake as well. Just have to keep playing around with depth till you find them!

Best of luck!!! and again welcome!

exude, i've tried saying hello to yah and have always been shunned. What made you have a change of heart?

Protiller-

So sorry sir, it was not intensional. Havn't seen the posts. Othewise I would have!

Might have been when you stopped showing up to Morning basketball on fridays to have breakfast instead!!!

See how you are?

aah, but the morning breakfast is helping me build an extra layer of insulation. then i'll be able to withsatnd the harsh mn winter.

Exudedude,
I'm heading to South Center tomorrow morning to bring my older brother ice fihsing. Do you have any suggestions as to where to begin? I have a hand auger so I will not be drilling a bunch of holes. Would you suggest the open area south of the small bay on the west side? By the way we'll be walking from the boat launch so I don't want to go across the lake. I just want to put ourselfs in a decent spot to get some crappie action. Not looking for any secret spots.

Thanks
Howwedoin

I'm sorry but I don't know where that is confused.gif

My guess is that's in the direct middle of the lake by that skinny peninsula.

Look at a MAP OF THE LAKE. Find Sunset Point or Pancake Island on the MAP. Fish by all of the people fishing by them. Maps are your friend. Use them and love them.

Thanks for the help guys. When I got to Lindstrum I realized I left my map at home mad.gif so when I got on the lake I started drilling holes and checking depths. Found nothing! I was out from 9am to 4:30 and caught a 12.5 walleye. Didn't get to stay for the hot bite at sundown but still had a good day.

Howwe-

So sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I was away from a computer(out on the lake fishing)...

The fishing right out from the South Center Boat landing isn't the best. Yes I have caught fish there, but it really not the best spot.

I too would have suggested off sunset point or the deeper water in the Hazeldon bay. Gie the lake another chance, it will treat you well!

Exude I have your zebra shirt. I'll drop it of Tuesday morning (around 10). Will you be around?

Hey Exu. I'm heading back to South Center again tonight I might check at the first corner off the boat launch where it drops really quick I think 10-60ft(kids have an ice skating rink around there)

Is there a certain color that works at night? I just want an idea so I don't waste my time. I'm 100% catch and release so there is absolutely no worry about me keeping anyone's fish.

I have fished that very small 5ft deep bay on the northwest side and caught many nice crappies in that area but that was in the summer. I am going to stay away from the crowds.

[This message has been edited by howwedoin (edited 12-26-2003).]

I fish right by pancake island. I never get skunked there and the fish are not bad. My buddie did get a $145 dollar ticket out there though last week. We didn't know there was a slot size on northerns and he caught a nice 28". DNR came out and busted us. would have been $100 but this fish was froze and that was were the extra $45 came in. I read through the rule book good after that lol. I might hit up pancake island maybe wensday or thursday.

I keep missing your posts, sorry about that howwedoing...

Let me know how you did... I really havn't found a "secret color on south center. The lake really does a lot of clearing up from ice on till late ice. I usually start out with a yellow and orange marmooska.. but thats just me!

Just a FYI....I work with a woman whose hubby and son fish alot on S. Center and she told me her son caught a 31 inch walleye this past weekend...a real beaut! Dad and son took a few pic's and put her back...gotta love that! Only thing I know is it was caught just outside of a bay on the west side of the lake...don't know what depth or what he was using or even what time of day it was.

------------------
Hey, you're bobber's down!!

I have not been up there for a few weeks now, and I was wondering how thick the ice is by pancake? Are people starting to drive on to S. Center off of highway 8? Any info would be most appreciated. Thanks
-BPB

As of last night there are a few people parking on the shore on the ice but I have only seen either very small vehicles or quads or snowmobiles.. No full size and to be honest I dont think anything but ATV's are anywhere near safe... Dont do it!

Exu. I normally fish in the cities and have been going to S. Center cause it's a perfect meating spot from my brothers house in North Branch. I'm heading back to S. Center again on Saturday. Nothing caught or seen last Friday night. I've been using Waxies cause they're easier to keep (less maintnence). I'll check the post a couple times today (Friday), I always check the posts at work on my down time. If you're out there ever I'm the short one in the Orange Columbia coat and otter sled with a black Rubbermade (orange top). Stop and say hi if you see me! grin.gif

If you have a 2 way I'll be on channel 3 or 5 (mostly on 3) Just say- How We Doin'

[This message has been edited by howwedoin (edited 01-02-2004).]

I was on S. Center from Noon until this evening and didn't catch a single fish. (?)

Tried Fatheads, Crappie minnows, Waxies, varied heights, etc. Nothing! frown.gif

Good luck out there...

Hey Exu. I'll be out on S. Center today (Sat.). I'm heading out now to be at the boat launch at 8:30am. I don't know where we'll be fishing but I'm going with someone that has a Vex so that's good enough for me.

I'll be on Ch. 5 on the 2-ways if you care to come by and give some advise wink.gif

Later: Howwedoin

Howwedoing-Sorry I missed your post till today. I'll keep my eye out for you! I dont have a 2 way. I wont be getting out today untill around 3pm. You will probably be done by then. Best of luck and hope you get into them.

Fisherman for a lifetime- I was out there from noon till about 6:30. I too didn't get any bites from till about 3PM. Even tho I tried quite hard. I was trying a new spot to me as well. One that I had found in the summer, from 3 till 6:30 I caught 12 walleye... So there are fish out there.

Exu. I left the lake around 12:30 caught one perch in 21' around 12:00. My buddie's dad went along and he's a veteran to N & S Center and was pretty dissapointed in the fishing these days compaired to when he was a kid. I now know where Sunset Point and Pancake Island are. We headed towards Pancake Island and talked to a couple guys about the fishing and they didn't do great but did ok durring the rain storm I guess. The pressure between Sunset/Pancake is huge! Any fish going through there is bound to be seen. Well good luck out there, I might head out there again next week? We'll see? I think I should be there for night bite but that time isn't the best for me as for the boss comes home around then. Gotta keep the boss happy to continue these trips.

Good Luck
Howwedoin

howwedoing-

I did well right after the rain, yesturday however, NODA nothing, not a bite. Guess that what cold fronts can do. I have not been fishing the willow point area yet this year. I like to stay away from the crowds!

Exude -

What school are you a teacher in? My mom is Carol in the District Offices (Chisago) and I'm the guy that cuts the grass. smile.gif Maybe I'll look you up sometime out on S. Center. Were out this morning to try a new portable I got, and caught (2) 4" eyes. Dad did anyways. Couldn't stay that long though. We're heading out again Sunday night, on the SW side of Sunset Point in that hole. If you see a white Dodge, Clam 1060, it's us.

Lwn

LwnmwnMan2- I'm at the Prrimary school...Teach P.E....

I was our on South Center last night as well(sunday).. I think I was too shallow and didn't get anything. Lost a minnow on a tip up I had set deeper, not sure why the flag didn't go up. There was a ****e dodge that set up near me right before sundown, they were also fishing with another older suburban.. But I was no where near sunset point?.... If your looking for me I have a silver Ford F150 and a Frabil XLTwin.

Exude -

Yeah, that was us. We got out late, wife ended up working about an hour of overtime. Hope we didn't screw anything up for you. We set up in 18' of water, my dad and a buddy were in the Suburban in about 25-26' of water. We got one walley about 12-13" long about 6:00. That was the only bite we had until 8:30, when we decided Hardees was calling us smile.gif

I've never caught anything out of that hole in the winter before, now I have. Still don't like it though. My dad wanted to try someplace new, too many people over off of Sunset by the time we got around.

Lwn

Lawn-

Thanks for not mentioning the spot...Its a good spot that people fish incorectly. I found the spot in the summer time and have done quite well. Feel free to contact my school e-mail and we can talk about it, however, I havn't done crap out there in the last few weeks..

and no you didn't screw anything up, I thought you were very respectfull of the area I was set up in, yo uhad to have been 35-40 yards from me. More than enough room...

[email protected]