• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

andylee

Went out on Elk today, 5" good Ice, Only caught one fair size crappie though.

Mr55371

What can you tell me about Elk Lake...? I've been over that way, but never fished it.

andylee

Elk is located on sherburne county rd 1 just north of zimmerman. It has 2 main ice fishing hot spots off of each point where the villages are set up in about 12 feet of water. I belive mostly crappie come from these points.

There is a channel that runs through the lake from north to south, 12-15 feet deep and during early ice I often set up on the channel fishing for walleye. I usually do pretty good the first 2-3 weeks of ice. The walleye are not too big, but very tastey.

I've seen many crappie come out of there with conciderable size as well, 2+ pound class. The bite seems to be best after sundown.

There is one public launch site on the south end of the lake, and Ridgewood bay resort is on the northwest side off of CR 1. Sometimes at ridgewood they may charge one or two dollars to park there, but when I called yesterday, they said no charge. However, they like it if you patronize their lounge. Good food and spirits there.

Not too many people out there yet. Only about 1/2 dozen when I was on the lake yesterday. But with the cold temps expected later this week I would expect the ice to be driveable in about 7-10 days and then there will be several hundred houses out there.

I know there are northerns there too, but I seldom see anyone fishing the shallows with tip ups. Most people seem to go for the walleye and crappie.

I have had good luck with crappie minnows for the crappies, and fatheads and leaches for the walleye.

Free lake maps are available at the ace hardware in princeton.

Watch the Ice on the south end of the lake by the spillway.

Hope this helps. Best of fishing to you.
Andy

Mr55371

Thatnks for the detailed report. I'd heard it was a pretty decent lake to fish. Have to get out there. I live just north of 9, and south of Princeton, so I have a few lakes to hop to. Got my sites set on Blue for now as it is the closest.

andylee

I'm about 1 1/2 miles north of cr9 as well, but I'm on the west side of 169 right on cr1

andylee

Out last night on elk from 7-11pm. Iced 4 crappie that were keepers. starting to see more people out there.

Its a small world. I live 1/2 mile north of county 9 off of county 1. Wispering prarie estates. I drive by elk everyday on my way to work, but have never fished there. I am always looking to sneak out for a little fishing, so let me know if you guys want to meet up at elk. even if the fish are not biting we could always swing into ridgewood for a cold one

Scott

andylee

Scott,
I'm just across the swamp from you on the corner of cr1 and 307th in Shiloh Ridge. Sign in my front yard for Lee's Workshop.
Andy

Andy
Ok, I know your place. I am on 147th, house with green roof. I am going to have to get out on elk one of these day. I have been seeing more and more people out there everynight. Would my best bet be to try out by that point in front of ridgewood?

Scott

andylee

Scott,
Yes, that point is were you will find the crappie, however, action has been slow thus far. I've seen many houses on the south point too, but have never fished it. I might go and try for a while tonight. if you see my black truck in the driveway, stop on in. I'm usually working in the garage. I'd be happy for you to join us fishing.
Andy

Mr55371

Keep me posted on the crappie bite. I'll have to cross "The Road" when they fire up.

Pharcta2

Is anyone going out Saturday or Sunday? I haven't fished Elk lake, but it sounds like its pretty decent, and I'm itching for some ice action! Let me know if you're going, I'll bring the venison brats as payment for your "guide" services! wink.gif

andylee

The bite has been real slow in the evenings so far. We didn't get anything last night. Haven't tried it in the morning hours yet, maybee this weekend I will. Going to be a cold one saturday morning. I'll let you know on friday night if I'm planning on going out on saturday.
Andy

andylee

Heading out to Elk on saturday morning, parking at Ridgewood bay resort. Have a small 2 person blue portable. Probibly fish for a few hours, run home for lunch, and fish again in evening. Anybody going out, stop in and say hi.
Andy

I wold like to get out, but I have to work 12's both saturday and sunday. Plus hang chirstmas light, wait in line to get the kids picture with santa and the list goes on and on. I will be there one of these day.

scott

fubar

Just moved up to Princeton in October and boy could I use some R&R, but that honey do-list is nose to toes long. I’d really like to meet up with ya sometime after the holidays. I need to start learning the lakes up here. Good luck.
happy.gif

[This message has been edited by fubar (edited 12-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by fubar (edited 12-17-2003).]

Mr55371

Andylee...What time you headed out. I got some guys coming up to fish Blue after noon, but I'm game for the AM.

andylee

I should be out there by 8am
Andy

Mr55371

Sorry I didn't make it out there this morning Andy, got tied up out the house. Glad to see you caught something.

riverbasher

Andylee,
If I wasn't in Iraq I'd join ya out there. I've caught some nice crappies on Elk in the past.

Off topic: By chance did swin on the Elks swim team. I did back before I graduated in '96

andylee

Riverbasher,
No I didn't swim. graduated in 84. Maybee when you come back on leave we can get together and do some fishing. I'd sure be happy to buy you a cold one and take you fishing, anybody serving our country over there deserves at least that. Stay safe over the holidays. This veteran salutes you.
Andy

andylee

was out on elk this morning, iced 2 nice northerns, 2 crappie, and a few sunnies. Atv's and sleds are out on the lake now, 9-10 inches of ice. should see trucks in 3-5 days. first permanent house was set out there this morning.
Good fishing
andy

riverbasher

Cool sounds good man. Hopefully I'll get home on leave before the winter season gets too late. I'll be sure to do some summer fishing with some of the FM'ers. I know quite a few have offered to take me out with em and I will hold em to it. Later

Jer

Rywheat

Whats the latest report. I used to fish this lake as a kid but it has been about 8-9 years I'm heading south for a week and I will be ready to hit the hardwater when I return just looking for ideas thanks Ryan

andylee

hope to get out saturday morning, I'll update saturday afternoon how the action was.
Andy