• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

small mouth bass in the rush lakes ?

has anyone else ever caught a small mouth bass out of either lake. also has anyone ever caught a white bass out of west ?

Thomas

you won't catch either.

baited

Oh Thomas..you disbeliever! Small and large mouth bass are frequent on West Rush..picture at Rush Point Store prove their existence, and some darn nice size to them also! They are frequent enough that a new bass club is beginning on Wednesday nights..check out Corys website!

I have caught small mouth and white bass on west, have only caught 1 smallie on the east good to here i'm not the only one. didn't think i was crazy.

shadrapla

ALSO THEY DO HAVE STUGERON(SP) AT RUSHPOINT STORE DO HAVE PICTURE OF IT AND I CANT BELIVE IT

baited

The sturgeon picture is from the Star and Trib from about 1962...some of the guys are still alive from that ancient date, and will swear by it! Check posts from this winter on the rushpointstore.com website, and they had a running commentary on how the elusive sturgeons were the ones causing all the fish houses to fall in!

East Rush Rules

hey,
How did you catch them and where?? How deep??

later

Thomas

if you hooked a small mouth 20 years ago, it doesn't count. caught lot of large mouths in the 4# range, but never smallmouth.

mistermom

Rush Lake is connected to the St. Croix through Rush creek. That could explain the appearance of certain fishes.

mm

caught a smallie this winter while fishing sunies in the little lake just this late feb. caught one on the east side two years ago by narrows.

also caught a white bass in 98 talked to another fella said he has also picked up an occasional white.

East Rush Rules

The Rush Creek is dambed off, and has been for some years. So, either them fish are old, or there is enough to reproduce.

rush creek damm has washed out many times in the last 20 years and is not in use today. dnr has no plans to repair so the creek is open from st croix to east maybe more smallies will be seen in the future.

Ray Esboldt

I've actually caught smallmouth (little guys) in that creek down torwards the St. Croix. All it takes is a couple.

However, I kind of think that river smallmouth are a different breed, so to speak, than the lake dwellers. I think river fish are so happy living in current they wouldn't even consider a lazy, old lake. But, I hope I'm proven way off some day.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Finnish Flash
      I measured 8" of snow as well in Pike Bay area.  Heavy wet snow too. That 3.8 was a measurement taken by a weather observer at around 9 pm on Wednesday night and more obviously fell since that time.  Lost power for 6 hours from 10 pm Wednesday evening until 4 a.m. Thursday. 
    • JBMasterAngler
      I haven’t gotten a response to my comments yet. I’d like to see what other people are asking or suggesting also.
    • eyeguy 54
      welcome to fm.  yu must love yer boss. LOL 
    • eyeguy 54
      I have a GreatNeck BUS18 saw for butchering. Bought it about 25 years ago.  It has always tracked to the right when I cut the hind quarters in two and it hangs up some.  Have always put up with it cuz its not terrible but I want to get a better saw. No Sawzall here so need some opinions on a good one from those of you that use one. thx 
    • Out4fun
      I'm gonna drive around town till I find ice that won't kill me. Heard Nekomis is froze over. Too bad my boss wont go out and test the ice for me.
    • Kettle
      Drove past the west side of Mille Lacs today. Large areas of ice with a few open areas and even a boat fishing, looks like they busted ice at the Garrison access to get out. Saw a handful of goldeneye and mergansers but that was it
    • Sculpin
      The addition of beads really adds something,  I go to the fabric store in St Cloud and buy glass beads, and use them above hooks on my deadsticks. I believe glass is better, they are brighter in color, more reflective, you can find more colors and sizes. Plus they click clack a little bit when you jig. 
    • BRULEDRIFTER
      I personally would like to see the smallie wiped off the map in this lake (and all laker lakes). They aren't native and I assume they are detrimental to laker populations.  I can only imagine what they do to laker fry and yoy on those rocks and reefs.  It seems as the laker population declined on W. Bearskin, the smallies have exploded.  Not sure if that's because the SM have more food to work with with less lakers, or because the lake trout are the smallies food. I''ll be curious to see how the DNR responds to that question I asked, if they respond at all.  
    • BRULEDRIFTER
      Thanks for the heads up on this!  I just sent them the following email.    Good afternoon,    I am curious if potentially implementing a slot limit, or maximum size regulation on lake trout is being considered in this management plan?   As an avid and passionate lake trout angler for over 15 years, I have noticed that over the last number of years lake trout angling has greatly increased in popularity, and with that, the overall quality and quantity of the fish populations have significantly decreased (at least in my experiences).  Stocking them has long been discontinued and it seems the vast majority of anglers keep fish of any size. In fact, it seems in the world of lake trout, the bigger the better. It seems that education about how fragile these fish are is just not readily available for people. There is some stuff out there if one were to dig deep enough, and a few of the more popular fishing shows are doing some education, but overall, it seems to be lacking because walleye are king.   Personally, I practice and promote selective harvest with lakers. My personal slot (and one I would love to see here in all MN Inland waters) is anything less than 17" and and greater than 25" go back in the lake ( so, a 2 fish total bag limit, 17-25", with 1 fish allowed over 32"). It would also be nice to see more strict limits put in place on the most popular lake trout fisheries, but a statewide slot would be a great place to start.    I have felt for quite a long time (as I've seen their popularity grow, and stocking discontinue) that some additional protection for these fish was greatly needed. There are Esox groups, bass groups, walleye groups, stream trout/steelhead groups and even catfish and sturgeon groups out there promoting and cheer leading for those fish species, but nothing out there for the laker.   I would love to see the MN DNR finally take some steps to help protect what we have left of lake trout fisheries while we still have them.     So, in summary,    Are there any additional protections (slots, limits, etc) for lake trout being included in this new management plan?   Has there been any research done on how smallmouth bass are impacting lake trout populations?  And if so, are they impacting them?    If smallies are having an impact on lakers, can there be anything done, aside from aggressive harvest of smallmouth to protect laker populations?       Thank you very much for your time!   Sincerely,    An Extremely Passionate Lake Trout Angler
    • Sculpin
      There are a few porty's starting to show up in the bays on the south side, although there is still a good deal of open water on the main lake. There were two houses out on Waukon bay yesterday, and an ATV and a small hard side spear shack in Cove bay, and one house in Isle Bay.  I would imagine by the weekend, there will be significant foot traffic in the bays. Bear in mind you can't fish walleyes until Dec. 1st, but you can be perchin or pike fishing and, and still be catching those pesky "incidental" fish. Good luck, and use extreme caution