• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey Everyone,
My wife and I bought a cabin along the Snake this summer, she is from Pine City. I'd like to do some ice fishing in the area this winter, where would I have a chance at some crappie's? Is Cross any good? How are the ice conditions in the area? Any info would be greatly helpful! Thanks!

Welcome to FishingMinnesota.com, cabinfever.

Both, Pokegama and Cross offer some good opportunities for crappies through the ice. You'll want to look for 15 foot plus water. I've found daylight bites have been better than after dark bites. Waxies or eurolarve are good bet because sunfish will mix in with the crappies.

Right now, they've got between 7 and 9 inches of ice as long as you stay away from where the Snake enters Cross and where it exits.

Hi guys, thanks for the info. I plan to go for the first time of the season this weekend. I'll let you know how I did.

Hi cabin fever. Just wanted to let you know I have beem killing the crappies on pokegama for the pastr week limits every night ive been out. The ice is good 10-11 inches everywhere. I ve been fishing off caps bar in anywhere from 19-25 feet of water its usually good out towards the island in 15-18 also

Sounds like a good place to go this weekend. Where is the best place to get on the lake?

fisherman69,

Limits every night? You must be eating a lot of fish. If you caught a limit every night for the past week, you'd be well over your possession limit if you weren't eating them every night. Think about it. Maybe you might want to consider a little selective harvest, but that's up to you.

bornofice,
I said i caught limits everynight i went out i went out 3 nights and caught limits I give most of the fish to family members and friends who love to eat fish but dont go fishing. I went out Wednesday night and didnt do as good off caps bar only got 5 but didnt keep any! Probably going to try the island next time out. Caught a 1/2 pound sunfish off caps bar on wed. so that was a plus for thge night

Harmonica,
The best way to get on the lake is to take the first Pine city exit as your heading north on 35 so the second if your going south. Head west off the ramp. Youll go about 5 miles. Then you ll comr to a bridge when you get just over the bridge there will be a road to the right take that right. Go down approx. .5 miles to Maple Knole? road. Take a left it dead ends at the lake there will be cars parked there. Youll be about half way betwwen the island and caps bar. I would try out by the island on the south side of it in 15-18 feet. Good luck

Harmonica Just wondering if you got up there this weekend and how you did? Let me know. Thanks, Travis from North Branch

Yep we got out, Saturday afternnon for a couple of hours and last night from dusk until about 8 or so. We did good. The crappies were slabs and we caught some junbo perch as well. Saturday we had to leave just as the bite was starting, but what can you do? Still had enough for a meal and that is all one can ask. Sunday was a little slower, but the quality of the fish were excellent (barring the occcasional rock bass). I will probably head up there again soon. Thanks again, Bear.

Glad to hear you did good! Did you fish by the island or somewhere else? The crappies in the lake are awesome aren't they!

Yeah the crapsters were slabs (12 inchers)- who needs URL! We fished the east side of the island on Sunday. Saturday due to logistical problems (ATV didn't show, a little one along, etc.) we fished straight out from the landing. I am sure we looked like a bunch idiots out there, fishing where nobody else would, but we caught fish. Looking at the map, though, there is an inside turn there. There was fish so worked it out well. I might try that spot again on Saturday, maybe tomorrow. We were in about 17 feet. Hopefully the bite stays hot.

Hey gents. I have a cabin on Cross by the island. Haven't fished Pokegema much. Have drank alot of beer at Muffies and the Yacht club when it was open and on the lake.

Don't suppose you would care to share the depth.

Is the ice on Pokegema about 9 inches like cross or are there thin spots.

Hey gents. I have a cabin on Cross by the island. Haven't fished Pokegema much. Have drank alot of beer at Muffies and the Yacht club when it was open and on the lake.

Don't suppose you would care to share the depth.

Is the ice on Pokegema about 9 inches like cross or are there thin spots.

Hi Chadly,
I fish Pokegagma alot year round. I havent been up there for a good week or so but last time I was there there was a good ten. Mybe harmonica will let us know how much there is now. I usually fish out by the island in 15-18 feet of water this time of the season. So good luck. Ill be out by the island in a home made portable on Sat. so if your out there look me up. The name is Travis Schloer. The lake is safe for wheelers for sure and hopefully my truck soon

Yeah - there was about ten or so when I was out last Sunday. I am sure weather we are having now there should be a good foot by this weekend. Hopefully I can get back up there this weeeknd.

Thanks guys, I have another holiday gathering on Saturday so I am coming up Thursday and Friday to do some fishing. Where do you guys access the lake from?

I know of the Public Access on the South End, Muffies, the old Yacht club entrance on the North end and on the North East side where I use to run the ditches on the sled and enter the lake up there.

Travis sorry I'll miss ya maybe next time, thanks for the info. Harmonica thanks for the insight. I'll be out there with a Blue Trap Guide and a green Polaris Sportsman. Stop by if you see me.

Are there any springs in the lake I have to watch?

Ever do any good off the point on the west side of the lake?

I'm pretty much a newcomer to the lake myself. I've been eye-balling that point myself, it certainly looks appealing enough. Depending on which map you look at, there looks like there is a nice inside turn just on the North side of that point. If I get a chance I might have to check it out. I do know the guys I was with Saturday fish that point in the summer and do well there. Winter time it's haqrd to know u ntil you try, just becuase nobody is fishing there doesn't mean the fish are not there.

Harmonica and chadly,
The point on the west side is Tuxedo point. I havent fished it much because I always fish the island or clapps bar on the east side. I ve heard the crappie bite is as good there in 15 feet as anywhere else on the lake. As for springs I ve never heard of any just stay away from where the river goes in and out and youll be fine. Good luck I will be up Friday(change of plans)So maybe Ill see ya out there chadly.

As for access I recomend as you come from town(pine city) as your coming to the lake after you cross the first bridge over the river take a right. Go down about a mile just after a turn in the road to the right there is a dead end road on the left called Maple Knoll Take a left there and youll dead end at a access to the lake. There will most likely be other vehicles parked there

Did you get up to the lake Chadly? I was up on Friday and caught 8 big ens and lots of lil' ones. Not too great but better than most other lakes around from what ive heard.

F-69, I didn't make there weekend, had to fish the local "Walleye Hot Spot", yeah right. Hey, enough for an appitzer...... So what have you heard of on Pokegama? I think I will be there for sure next weekend. You can let me know via e-mail as well. [email protected]

Good Luck Fishin!... BEAR!

[This message has been edited by Harmonica Bear (edited 12-29-2002).]

F-69 and HBear -
I didn't make it up, I came down with the Norwalk Virus on Christmas and was in bed until Sunday. I will be at the cabin on Cross next weekend. We are having a family winter gathering. I am hoping to grab my fishing stuff and atv and head over to Pokegama, if not I will be fishing by the island or Norway Point on Cross.

So where abouts did you catch those nice crappies?