• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm planning a day on Pokegama for next weekend with my 9 yr. old son. We've picked out some good spots on the lake but would like advice on which are better this time of year. We'd like to fish for crappie and also walleye. We thought we'd start:
> At the south end of the lake by the Snake River.
> Along the eastern shore next to the deep water.
> Around the humps along the western shore. (both sides of the point)
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Are we on the right track?

<'(((><
Thanks.

------------------
jc
[email protected]

jc,

You're on the right track, namely, getting on the water and fishing. Crappies are your best bet in August. They'll be anywhere from 9 to 25 feet, usually within a couple feet of the bottom. Look for structure that extends into lake's basin and fish the deepest water adjacent to it. Also, the harpacked bottom, tapering breaks (mostly the eastern shore) hold good numbers of crappie. Tube jigs with a small minnow or no minnow at all are a good option.

As for walleyes, August can be tough. Consider fishing after dark trolling the breaks with cranks. Plus, Pokegama has been tough this for walleyes in general.

Let us know how you did.

Bornofice,

Thanks for the reply. What's the deal with the walleye this year? The creel survey doesn't look that bad. I noticed a lot of rough fish in the lake. Does that adversely affect the walleye population?

jc

------------------
jc
[email protected]

jc,

Pokagama's walleye population seems to cycle every 4 to 5 years. However, I think the deal right now might be an extremely abundant forage base. From my observations, I would say there are more perch (small perch) than ever. So, the walleyes might be suffering from full stomach syndrome.

The rough fish don't make a lot of difference. They're always there and always have been.

Thanks again.

Do you you know of a place on the lake to rent a boat and motor for the day? Our original plan fell through.

------------------
jc
[email protected]

JC,

To my knowledge, there is not a boat rental facility on Pokegama, Cross, or the Snake River.

Rush Lake, to the south of Pokegama, may have a boat rental facility on the east side of East Rush at Peterson's Resort.