• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Anyone out there fish this lake. I myself have never been there. I will be fishing here Friday thru Sunday basically targeting northern and bass. Are there any specific spots or techniques anyone would like to share.

snag,

Sorry for the late reply. Sturgeon is a good largemouth lake and has a fair population of smallmouth. I'd look to the weedlines of points and humps. Try throwing a deep diving crankbait and cover lots of water until you contact fish. Throw a marker and switch to a jig worm or texas rigged worm until you empty the school. If you find one fish, you'll more often than not find several on this lake. The docks, although pretty shallow can also be productive. Skip a tube or craw under the shadiest part of the dock.

Pike are everywhere. The ones I have caught are hammerhandles. However, I did land one about 7 pounds one day.

Let us know how you did.

fishman40

Hey Snag I was out last Sunday lots of smaller bass from the docks on the west and nw side got 2 pike 31" and a 36" trolling cranks on the east side 12' to 15'deep off the weed lines look for big drops and troll right over them. All pike over 20" are catch and release.
Good luck
Fishman40

Thanks for getting back to me, however I was unable to log on until today. Fishing was really good all weekend. We had five boats and everyone caught fish. It was really easy to limit out on northern, the biggest was 36" but there was a 32" caught also. There were other big dogs on but didn't get them in the boat.

The bass were going crazy, we primarily targeted the docks, but only the docks with a weedline cover near by seemed to produce. I had so much luck on small inline spinners that I didn't try any jigs or worms. I didn't here if any one caught smallmouths but one of the teams was able to get some nice walleye 18", 20", 22", 14".

Friday I spoke with a few locals up there, I was suprised that everyone of them said the lake wasn't very good for fishing.

I'll go back, and now that I know where they were, I plan on targeting some of the eye's.

Kaz

Snag: I have a place on Sunset Bay and those on the lake really don't talk up the lake. It's a good lake for pan fish and I was surprised you caught any Walleyes. Winter fishing is another thing though. Walleyes are plentyfull at first ice. It usually gets slow after the first of January. What kind of teams were you talking about. I didn't know of any tournaments lately. The Northern restriction is so we can get rid of so many stunted sunfish. Hope it works as there are a zillion of them. Please KEEP THE LAKE CLEAN....Kaz

Kaz, the teams I was refering to are part of a metro area fishing league I was fortunate to join this year. Nothing to formal, just a group of 6 boats 2 men per boat, there is money involved so the competition can get a little heated. We pick 8 different lakes at the begining of the year to fish, and a different species of fish to target per lake.
At the end of the season which was the weekend of August 3rd and 4th there is a grande finale. One of the members has a cabin on Sturgeon and was able to accomdate all of us for the weekend (hence the choice to fish Sturgeon).

I have relatives that have some land on Upper Little Pine about 6 miles west of Finlayson on 18 so I'm familiar with the area, just never fished Sturgeon. Very nice lake and as you say clean. I can't say I caught any Walleyes however the individual which owns the cabin did, big surprise there.
I believe they were trolling the humps with line counters and raps mostly in search of bigger northern (our league was based on length) and picking up a bonus eye here and there. Give it a try.

Good luck and Good fishing
Snag