• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Was on Pokegama/Snake Friday. Pretty slow
for the most part.Was targeting walters out by Tuxedo point. Nice chop goin during mid-day,so tried drifting.No walleyes,but
did get a really dandy cat(12 lbs) out there.
Moved into the river and was catching some
nice panfish,when, after catching a nice bull
noticed something hanging off the side of it.
At first glance,I thought it was a nite-crawler but it had a fin on the end
of its tail and a row of gill holes on each
side of its head.I got it to come off the fish,and noticed the mouth was just a slit
with some teeth on it.Was this some kind of lamphrey or something?? Just goes to show you,you never know what you are going to pull
out of the river.

Lampreys are quite prevalent in the Snake River system. I've caught quite a few walleyes with one of them buggers attached. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think there as detrimental to warm water fish as they are to Great Lakes fish. I'll check it out.

[This message has been edited by Bornofice (edited 06-03-2002).]

I tried to find some lamprey data, and couldn't find anything about lampreys in inland lakes. I did find data that proclaimed them detrimental to Great Lakes fish including walleyes.

Tumbleweed,

You're right. You never know what you'll pull out of the Snake River system. Here's a list of the species I've caught or had someone catch in my boat from the Snake and connected lakes:

Walleye, Northern Pike, Black Crappie, White Crappie, Blugill Sunfish, Pumpkinseed Sunfish, Perch, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Channel Catfish, Lake Sturgeon, Sheephead (Freshwater Drum), Carp, Dogfish, Lake Shiner, Silver Bass, and a fish this winter I couldn't even identify, some kind of large minnow. Now that's diversity.

Thanks, I figured as much. It was really gross looking and I destroyed it.