• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ahh, finally the weekend that many of us have been waiting for, the Minnesota opener. It's actually the week I've been waiting for since February when I received permission to buy a turkey license in Wisconsin. Three days of turkey hunting and two days of walleye fishing. Pretty hard to beat that.

So, where's everyone heading? I will be spending Saturday and part of Sunday (I'll have to make some kind of Mother's day appearance at home even though my wife is not my mother) on the Snake River system near Pine City. I imagine it being a jig and minnow bite, but I'm open to anything that pleases a walleye's pallete.

Give us your thoughts, I promise not to tell anyone. Shhhh!

WEll I think I will be heading up to Oak Lake by Duquette MN. In the early part of the season the walleye bite really well. They have some big ones in there.. I caught a 6lb2oz eye about 2 years ago on that lake. And not to mention there is no slot limit like on most of the lakes in my area.
Good luck to all this happy opener

i'm going to rush because i think some special icefishing spots will be good, and because the slimers need a visit.

I will be heading to Little Elk Lake in Zimmerman. My parents live near the lake. Sort of a tradition in the family. I am not very enthused with the way the landing has shaped up. There was construction on the road leading to the landing. Launching is going to be very difficult...especially if there are too many boats waiting. As far as I can figure there are only about 6 spots for parking and the road/ditches are still under construction. Not sure where any overflow parking would be. I am excited though.

There has been such a serious lack of activity in this forum as of late, I thought I'd try to liven it up a bit.

I have never been out on opener in MN, mostly because I vehemently dislike crowds. However, I am thinking about going to East Rush for opener, but I am wondering how much traffic I'll run into there. I assume it won't be as busy as West Rush, but I don't honestly know. Does anyone have any comments for me in that regard?

I'm considering a couple of other spots if I get there and it's too busy.

Good luck this weekend and let's try to keep this forum alive, shall we?

huskminn,

I too will be on Rush!! (If I can get a day off!!) I would'nt say that the traffic on East or West Rush is excessive..There is definetely more boats out there on the opener than other times....But< I do not think Rush in general gets a ton of traffic during the summer months. (not at all Like Ice fishing season!) If you go look me up!

Cory Frantzick

------------------
Visit us on the web at www.Athomeonthelake.com

huskminn;

East Rush will be a nut house. Last year we got to the access on East between 6:30 and 7 AM and and still had to park the truck 1/2 mile down the road. If you are going to use that ramp, I suggest you get there EARLY!

Myself, I'll be using this weekend to get the boat ready for some mid-week fishing... if the weather ever turns. I'll head for Rush and bobber fish the break along the South shore out in front of the channel between East and West.

Thanks for the quick responses! Okay, now I'm confused.

Cory I know you live on the lake, so I'd trust your judgement on traffic levels, but I think you mostly fish West Rush.

Labrat, you've got a firsthand report from last year about the very access I was planning on using.

Thing is, I was planning on starting late and fishing late, so I bet by the time I get there I won't be able to find anywhere to park.

May not see you out there on opener, Cory, but I'll be back not too long after!

Hey, Cory - I can feel your pain!

My brother is getting married tomorrow, and I have to be there by noon. And thats not all, my In-Laws are coming to visit for the weekend (mothers day) so we are doing brunch on Sunday.

I won't be hitting the water this opener, but it should be a few weeks before the lakes start to freeze over again -- so I should be able to get the boat on the water.

Good Luck Everyone - Please leave me a couple!

huskminn;

How late is late? If your talking mid to late afternoon I'd say you'll be able to find a spot! Last year quite a few boats were comming off the lake mid afternoon, so spots in the lot were opening up. I got off around 4PM myself, and other than the usual yahoos that can't figure out they need to move the boat, not leave it tied to the dock on the launch side, we had no problems.

As far as the fishing... it's allways good! It's just the catchin is better some times!

We had no problem fishing the spots we wanted to, so don't let my NUTHOUSE statement put you off!

If you get up, have a great opener!

Hey Huskminn!

I fish both East and West Rush.....Last year I had a cousin who had a wedding (Can you belieive that, On Opener?)So I was off the lake by 10 am, I sarted out on East Rush and there were certainly more boats than normal, but, most years I open on Mille Lacs...So I did not think it was too crowded. Fishing was outstanding! I was able too have most of my spots all too myself. Husk...If you do go during the week let me know! i would like to join ya!

Cory Frantzick

------------------
Visit us on the web at www.Athomeonthelake.com

Alas! I did not make it out early, I did not make it out late.....I didn't make it out at all. However, my basement is real clean now and we're having a garage sale next weekend!

My justification is that the fishing will be better in two weeks anyway.....hope my logic is true.

I'd like to hear how anyone did on Rush if they were out on the weekend.

Cory,
I appreciate the offer to meet-up. I really wanted to make your ice fishing get together, but couldn't. I will certainly let you know if I'm in your neck of the woods, East or West.

Labrat,
Even though I didn't go, I appreciate your response. I guess the bottom line is always that one just deals with the situation when they get there.

Hoping to get out soon......hey, there's a 9.9 Merc in my garage sale if anyone's interested!

Good luck.