• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have not heard much about Ann. Try giving Jerry's Bait in Mora a call (320-679-2151). I know he can give you current ice conditions at the very least.

Thanks Bornofice,
I called Jerry's and they said it was spotty fishing. Marking them but not biting. Ice was 15 - 18 inches.
Might give it a try in a few weeks.

I've fished Ann a number of times in the winter and in the summer. Like in most lakes the fish tend to relate to the structure around the deeper holes. I have winter success around the hole in the center of the lake. Also, there is some decent structure towards the east centrtal side of the lake. I'll be out there this weekend. Come say hello if you see my two man Frabill.

I have no idea what the ice conditions are but I have heard folks are driving out.

Thanks Fleeced,
I'll be going up to the Lake o da Woods
this weekend!
I know I'll give Ann a try in a couple of weeks, my Brother is coming up from s. minn. and he wants to do some pan fishing.
We'll look for you then!

stu-bob,

Good luck on LOW. I was up that way last weekend. Fished Zippel and 5-mile out of Warroad. Both produced numerous fish. Keep that minnow dancing and you'll catch fish wink.gif

Try the sand bar where the Ann River flows in during the evening hours for walleyes and crappies. Another place to find crappies is off the west side of the big point in the middle of the lake. One really neat secret of this lake is something that the spear fishermen don't tell you. During early ice there are masses of fish that swim in the old "river channel". Big sunnies, walleyes, perch, etc. are constantly swimming through their spearholes. Later in the year these fish seem to migrate out of the river channel to the main lake over the weeds and along the breaks into the "deeper" water. If you happen upon the sunnies in this lake you will not be disappointed.

Toad

Thanks Toad! We are going to try it this weekend. I down loaded a map from the DNR, so that will help.

Fleeced - Did pretty well at LOW! 12 sauger, 4 walleye & 2 JUMBO perch. I used my vexilar, which was the key, they were biting light. Gold or pink and white jigs caught them. Went out of a public access by Zippel, then out about 4 miles from the twin trees in 32 ft of water.
I'll be out at Ann in a 2-man Otter with my kids, maybe see ya out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Stu-bob,
Glad to hear you did well on LOW. Fished on Ann during Superbowl weekend. A number of decent sunnies and some small crappies. Stayed away from the crowd on the sandbar and fished the structure on the east shore south of the bar. How did you do with the kids?

Fleeced-
Took my two girls out to Ann saturday.
We only fished for two hours, but right off the bat we hooked into 3 real nice gills. Then it shut down. Would have liked to fished more, but my kids (9 & 10) didnt have the patience. But they liked the end result of 6 fillets of gills!
We fished east of the Ann river inlet, in 8 ft. of water. here is my email, [email protected], I would like to exchange more info with you. Might go out there again early saturday.
Later,
stu-bob (Jeff)

I'm wondering if you could give me a bit of help accessing the lake. I fish Ann in the summer but want to take a trip this weekend. I usually use the west access off of 47 but that would be quite a long walk to get to the river inlet or further east on the lake. Is there another access that I may be missing that could split that walk for me/

I have only been there a few times and always use the 47 access, but I'm pretty sure there is an access off of the road before the 47 access. Turn right and I think you will find it.
I drove out there last saturday and the ice was about 14-18" thick. So maybe walking might be an alternative.

To get on the lake from the East side:
Head East on the road off of 47, before the bridge over the swampy part of the lake (SW corner & access). Follow the road past the beer joint and take a left at the dead end sign. It's a left in front of the house with the fake deer in the front yard. Follow this gravel road and keep your eyes peeled to the left, you'll see an access to the lake.