• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Grindstone , 11, or Cross lakes

Thanks for the help! I forgot to post that what I'm after mostly is northerns. Hope I can hook into some on Sunday. Thanks again.

Grindstone is a very, very deep lake! It used to be an experimental lake and some of the recorded depths have been measured at over 175 feet deep. There are some deeper holes that they have not found the bottom to. The holes run underground and different directions. If you are fishing for Northerns, I would suggest using frozen smelt, as this lake has a natural smelt run. Fishing on the North and west side has some shelfs that run shallow and in the summer has weed beds. On the north end close to the ramp there is some real shallow water. Find the first break and use a tip up with a quick strike rig. Good luck!

Whopper Stopper

We use to fish the smelt with hook and line, very entertaining.

Hoping some of you locals can help me out:

1) Does Grindstone Lake ever freeze enough for icefishing and, if so, has anyone done any good on it?

2) Anyone had any luck on Lake Eleven?

3) Planning on fishing Cross Lake for the first time this Sunday. Any tips?

Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Hello Chief,
Grindstone Lake does freeze over enough to ice fish, but it has an under water current in some parts and is extremely deep. Huge pike and decent trout fishing. Fatty trout = big game fish.
I don't know 11 well. Bornofice will know.
Cross Lake is doin well for crappies right now. Be deep on the northwest shore or the river mouth hole on the southwest side (don't bother fishing here on weekends cause of sleds). Good luck.

mwchiefs,

I've tried to get a report on Lake Eleven this year, but can't find anyone that's been there this winter. I've caught pike on the public access side of the lake (man, I think that's the south side of the lake) that were marauding the panfish I was fishing. But it's one of those lakes that looks like you could catch a pike anywhere. Sorry, I don't have more current info for you.

Crappie Hunter is right. I guess Cross has been pretty good this winter. And, there are a ton of snowmobiles on the lakes up there right now. I was on Pokegama (near Cross) on Sunday and caught some real nice crappies (3/4lb+) fishing walleyes. There's your hint and I bet it applies to Cross as well. Bigger than normal baits, shallower than normal water.

MWChiefs Curious on how you did if you went to Grindstone lake. Let us know what ya found there. I hope you brought plenty of line on your reel as that lake is unbelievably deep. My brother in laws dad used to fish that lake 40 years ago and has some pictures of some HUGH pike. And I mean Hugh. Let me know how ya did.

I didn't end up going there. The guy that went with me had a greater urge to go to Forest Lake than Grindstone. I'm going to Mille Lacs this Saturday, but I still want to try Grindstone very soon. If you'd be interested in getting together and fishing it, let me know. I'm ready to go anytime.
Mark
[email protected]

Fish Lake Eleven from before sun up until about 9 am and again in the evening hours if you want the panfish. The northerns show up and scare everything away during the daytime hours. Later in the season, when the ice is starting to deteriorate hit the weeds up un the north end.