• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Will be up in Barnum for a couple days this week to do some ice fishing. Anyone have any lakes around Duluth/Moose Lake/ or Wright that they could suggest for crappies or pike or both? C&R fishing only. We just want to tip a few back and catch some fish. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

tjwierz2,

Sturgeon would be my choice for pike fishing in that area. You probably won't catch any goliaths, but you should go through a fair amount of bait. Just find the weedline on a point or a hump, and I'd say you're good to go. There are some darn nice crappies in there as well. Where to find them, I don't know? I'll bet it's a late day or night bite. The water is fairly clear.

Let us know how you do.

Thanks bornofice, but I actually got your message right after we got back from our trip.

My buddy and I fished Turner Lake yesterday near McGregor. I caught the biggest crappie about 5 minutes into our trip though, it was a hair over 12 inches. We had slow to moderate action for the crappies, but it was consistent throughout the day. We caught about 15 crappies in 6 hours, which isn't outstanding...but it kept us busy.

I also brought up a pike through the hole...and we had another 3 pike on tipups, they were 19-22 inches. We also had another 3 on the tipups that got off as we were bringing them in. All fish were released to fight another day.

Thanks for the tip though...we will definitely hit sturgeon at a later date as it is much closer to where I stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bornofice,

You mentioned sturgeon lake for crappies and pike. Well, my brother-in-law and his buddy were fishing sturgeon last weekend and his buddy brought up a 32" WALLEYE weighing 12 lbs. Biggest walldad I've ever seen...he's having it mounted. Thought you may like to know.

Did I say pike? I meant walleyes wink.gif

Hey, is there anyway you can scan a picture of it and send it to me. I got a buddy who's been beating his chest about a 10lber he got a couple weeks ago. He didn't think many bigger than his would be caught ice fishing this year. I want to knock him back to earth a little.

[This message has been edited by Bornofice (edited 01-10-2002).]