• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
BotM-BouncR

Time and Depth?

BotM-BouncR

It seems to me the best time that I've had for the walleye bite is the evening. From about 5:00-9:00pm is about the best time range. Quite A few runs through the night also. The morning isn't bad either it seems that the rattle reels start at about 6:00 or so. My brother is there right now and he is cathing them spotty throughout the after noon on tip ups. Take your pick.
We've been fishing the gravel out of the south end. Lots of walleyes very few perch.

BotM-BouncR

BotM-BouncR

It seems to me the best time that I've had for the walleye bite is the evening. From about 5:00-9:00pm is about the best time range. Quite A few runs through the night also. The morning isn't bad either it seems that the rattle reels start at about 6:00 or so. My brother is there right now and he is cathing them spotty throughout the after noon on tip ups. Take your pick.
We've been fishing the gravel out of the south end. 25'-30'of water. Lots of walleyes very few perch.

BotM-BouncR

ds

How is he fishing the tip-ups? With shiners or fatheads. And how deep, how far off the bottom? I like putting a tip up down during the day when the bite is slow.

Take your pick on shiners vs. fatheads. I used to only use small golden shiners on tip-ups. (when you can find them) Golden shiners stay quite lively and add a bit of flash, but they are expensive. When perch are agressive they will hit even the largest shiners. This gets real expensive real quick. Where I was last year first ice I couldn't keep perch off my line, and I became a bigger fan of fatheads. This year I haven't run into any big schools of perch yet. Fatheads are cheap and can live through almost anything. I am not a fan of river shiners in the winter. They are usually less expensive than golden shiners. From my experience, fatheads and golden shiners will try swimming down or off to the side, but river shiners try swimming back up and have more of a tendancy to tangle up the mono. One solution to this would be to shorten the distance between your sinkers and hook or flasher and hook, but I don't like doing that.

Keep the info coming in boys!!!! I haven't landed a walleye up there through the ice this year in 4 trips, much less marked many on the locater. On the other hand i have almost always limited out on nice perch !?! I have fished past cove bay and around past isle bay 3x's in 15-20' of water using shinners and flatheads, about 2-3' off the bottom is where i have marked the schools. I'm going up friday, best of luck.

jasonk

What time of day have the walleyes been biting the best? How about depths? Any info is greatly appreciated-we are comming up tomorrow.

Evenings have been the best for us so far this year, which is opposite from last year. We have been fishing them deep and doing really well, setting up at prime time around 29-30'. Its been a good bite well after dark this year. Midday we have been pulling a few,some deep and some up on top,plug around and keep moving and you will find them. Try to avoid the crowds,rip some big spoons and CROSS THEIR EYES!

Last weekend the morning seemed to be the best bite from 7-9 o'clock. Caught 4 and lost 5 that all had some weight to them on Sunday morning. Fishing in 15'of rocks on the edge of reef away from traffic. 4:00-6:00 p.m also has a good bite. Good luck and good fishing!