• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

My sister bought a home on this lake and I'll be helping them move in in a week or so. What is biting now and where? (Smile) Anyone willing to share any info with me on where to try fishing? I have never fished here and have no idea what is in the lake or where. I'm not too experienced fisherman, but now that I have a place to go, I will like to try much more often.

Also, can you take a 16-20 foot fishing boat from here all the way into cross lake via the snake river? From Cross, can you go on the Snake river to the st croix or does the snake get way too narrow and shallow?

Thanks for any tips!

Jon

mnjon,

I too have relatives that live on Pokegama, so I probably fish it 15 times a year. To answer your navigational questions, you can take a boat all the way to Cross Lake via the Snake. Most of it is a no wake zone, so it takes a little while, but it's a nice boat ride. You cannot take a boat in one piece all the way to the St. Croix. Cross Lake has a dam between it and the Snake. You get the picture.

Fall is a decent time to fish Pokegama. Actually anytime a year is decent. The Snake River system is very consistent year round. Walleyes, crappies, and sunfish are the normal quarry. Pike and catfish are secondary. Rough fish (sheepshead in particular) can drive you insane. However, these aren't the easiest lakes to fish. Structure is very subtle. There's a lot of it, but it isn't super distinct. The stuff that is distinct gets pounded by other anglers. The fish do have a tendancy to move as well. That's pretty common for lakes that are influenced by rivers.

These lakes just take a lot of experimentation and experience. You're not going to light it up the first few times out. My suggestion right now is to grab a crankbait like a Shad Rap and troll the 10'-12' contours. Watch your electronics, and make handwritten notes about bottom content and all the little ins and outs. You'll learn a ton about the lake this way and probably snag a few fish.

Good luck.