• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

tip ups help

fishing mille lacs next weekend out of mcqouids, staying in one of their houses. Wondering what to expect, Jigging for perch during the day and tip ups for walleye at night? any suggestions on tip up fishing for walleyes? have never fished for either before mostly bluegills, bass, and pike here in Mich. does anyone recommend a steel leader or use a mono leader (light line 4-8 lb)treble hook? any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I have a great tip up system. I remove the hooks from a gold or silver kastmaster jiggin spoon. I then tie the line from the tip up to the top eye of the spoon. Next i tie 2 feet of flourocarbon 8 pound test to the bottom eye of the spoon. I will then complete the rig by tying on a #6 yellow or glow gamakatsu plain hook. Tip the hook with a golden shiner,rainbow or large fathead. The spoon size will vary with the size of bait and depth. But a good all around size i use is a 1/8 or 1/4 oz. The spoon gives off flash when the minnow swims and acts as a weight to keep the minnow in the strike zone. I also spool the tip-up with 20# dacron line. The thicker line is more forgiving on the fingers when pulling a fish up. Good Luck. Let me know how you do. Your going to one of the best establishments on the lake.... D-man

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ANYFISH2
      Nice work Borch! Or maybe I should say Mrs. Borch?   Looks like I missed out.
    • papadarv
      Keys to make the blade work well. *Sharp! *Cutting edge needs to line up to the Gullet of the opposite blade! *Add a .020 shim 1/8" wide between blade screw and cutting edge. Increases cut angle to same as K-Drill! I'm working on another set welding  1/4" piece of blade to the outside blade edge extending the blade 1/2" past auger flight making it a full 8" hole. Note how the K-drill blade extends 1/2" past the auger flights.  
    • leech~~
      I like your blade work as well. Two summers ago when I sold my hand auger at my garage I think I throw out about 4 sets of those old blades as well!  😣
    • papadarv
      Made the drill point out of a spade drill bit welded to a 3/8” 16 bolt/screw than cut & ground to shape the point. Drilled & tapped center of blade bracket. Tap slowly as that steel seem a grade or two above basic mild steel.
    • bluewater2
      Thank you  
    • leech~~
      That is some sweet work right there. I see these at garage sales all summer, may be I should start picking them up?  Looks like you added a drill point on the end of them as well. The adapters and the end point are key items on making these right.
    • papadarv
      I went a different route, got several vintage Mora 7 1/2" hand augers $10 to $15 each with the old hardened sweedish steel blades modified to replicate K-drill style blades #5. Went with clam plate 3/4" drive bit & M18 Fuel Mud Mixer worked ok on early ice #1. Wanted to try my DeWalt/Jiffy so converted to the 7/8" drive bit, didn't have the power to cut the agressive blade #2. Later ice in Wheelhouse, went with my Eskimo 43cc with a Walker 25' flex exhaust out the door, cut 32" ice in 27 seconds #3. Ran 4 1/2 holes to 1 of my buddies new green ION 8in. Made some adapters to put the 7/8" auger bits on my Clam Plate and Mud Mixer#4 for early ice this comming season.
    • Wanderer
    • ANYFISH2
      OUCH!!! 6 players down to injury in one game.  We were thin at O-line depth before, now we have "1st" line players having to play nearly an entire preseason game, because we dont have enough bodies!  This is going to be major issue going forward.   Overall, not a good showing offensively. Jacksonville is a very good defensive team, but we definitely need to be better.   Defense, look pretty good!  We need to complete turnover chances, at a better rate.     3rd RB race is going to be fun to watch.   Special teams, are kinda leaving me wondering.  Punt coverage is quite shaky.  Carlson is looking more like our guy, after Forbath missed a 41 yd fg.
    • Borch
      That's ok.  Was a good day on the water.  Took my wife out this afternoon and had a nice day fishing.