• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

i went out last night to try my hand, and the fishing was slow at best, but i go t to mess around with my nephew, and that is always fun smile.gif we did manage to pick up one small walleye. even though i have not made it out much in the past week, i think it is time to try the off shore structures, and open adjacent areas off of them. this seems to turn on after first ice, and there has been a fair amount of traffic. one thing that is pleasing to me, is that for the most part, people are spread out nicely. remember, it is a good sized lake, with literaly hundreds of good spots to fish.
without much snow, and a few more cold nights, we will be driving all over that mo fo. thats what i call mobile. i marked a bucket full of interest points this past summer, and will be giving them a try soon. you will know me, i am the house that is never in the same spot for very long.
try the plain hook, or glow hook in #4, or #2 with a spot tail, and you can't go wrong.
good fishing all!!!

------------------
what!! i didn't have any corn!!?? jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

Hey jigglestick,

Sorry we didn't get out for a sight fishing trout trip last winter, time went kinda' fast. I've got ya' on my list for this winter though if yer still interested in tackling some tioga trout. How's the crappie bite on the little lake by you? I figured after last winter it woulda' been fished out or at least down quite a bit.
Let me know. I just got all my gear together, late bowhunting and S.D. pheasants have delayed my ice fishing a bit.

bmc

well, the action seems consistantly off and on... if that makes any sense. there are fish being caught, and some nice ones too. decoy boy -- congratulations on the nice walleye tonight! 26-27 inches that made it's way through kind hands back into the gene pool smile.gif to bad, we are going to have to start remembering to bring a camera!!
the ice house still are nicely spread out. it is a big lake, and there is no need to hogpile up on any one. the fish are spread out all over the lake. try any of the sunken humps and flats over deeoer water adjacent for suspended action. i love my vex smile.gif
we measured 14 inches 1/4 mile out. i believe my neighbor is going to run his 1/2 ton out tomorrow.
be safe and have fun.

------------------
if you can't have fun along the way, why bother? jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

• 2 weeks later...

we went out today to check and re-mark some mid lake areas that i marked this summer. i did not find less than 15 inches even out in the middle, with 16 inches being the thickest we encountered. . i would say i was more to the east side of the lakethan the west, but i drove around fairly confident. i would never advise that the ice is safe, but i had my half ton ford out there. i can hardly wait to free up and try some of these spots.i am still pleased that most every body is nicely spread out. this is a clear water lake, that will not tolerate alot of noise just before the bite. i will post a follow up.

------------------
keep your stick on the ice!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.