• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wood Stoves

Dan Thiem

Question

Maybe this should go to equip forum, so move if nec.
My question is who heats with outdoor wood burners.
I have been heating our five bedroom home since nov.'97 using an Aqua Therm. I have a couple of freinds that also use the Aqua Therm and a couple co-workers that use the Classic stove.
Anybody use corn burners or pellet burners? I would like to know if anybody knows where I could get a wireless remote alarm if my stove gets too hot. It really bites when it overheats and blows a pressure valve. Lots of antifreeze/water every where.

[This message has been edited by Dan Thiem (edited 10-15-2004).]

11 answers to this question

My sister and Brother-in-law picked up a corn burner.

Burns about a bushel of corn a day. Works very good and very clean. I think they paid something in the realm of $2500 for it. Maybe more.......maybe less.

It works good and kicks out alot of heat.......Plus, since they run a small hobby farm of 120 acres, it is really cheap for them to run.......

Man......wood burning stoves......I split more wood at the age of 15, then most people here did their whole life (not all.....just most). That was the days of the high oil prices and it saved us a TON of money to burn wood. Every day, come home from school and split about 1/4 cord.........Yep, that was the early 80s......

Big G Im with ya. I havent picked up a Ax since 1984 though. Now I have my wood split for me when I need it. Luckily enough people I know have wood so I dont have to mess with it unless I have to pick some up to burn camping or in the Backyard Burner.

I have a pellet stove in my place, I can burn corn if I mix it 50/50 with the wood pellets, but I don't because corn burns so much hotter. I live in a 16 x 80 mobile home, and with the corn it gets to friggin' hot. I have had the stove about 5 years now and only use it when it gets really cold, use about 1/2 ton per year.

Dan I can't help you with your question about wood stoves. But I do own a free standing corn burner. Its alot cleaner than a wood stove in the house. Doesnt require the attention that my old wood stove required. In 30 deg weather I have to put a bushel in about every 1 1/2 days colder weather every day. Wouldn't go back to a wood stove again. Bobcat

My buddy installed a corn burner and so far he is really happy with it. He has a fuel oil furnace that milks the checkbook dry every year. He lives in the country and can get corn from any farmer. He's guessing $300 a year to heat his house.

I can use a corn burner in my home, but geez, I would probably get cooked out of the house too. grin.gif

A buddy of mine has had an Aqua-Therm for 10 yrs and never had a problem like that. He fills it up once in morning and evening and never had a problem. I know someone who may be able to help as the company is right in town.

Does anyone have a HEATMOR outdoor wood stove. I just bought one, after looking a several different brands. It has been costing me 2 to 3 thousand to heat my place in the last two years, so I decided it was time for a change.

Thanks for any help

Dale

Dan, does your stove use an aquastat controlled damper? If it does then it sounds like it either needs adjustment or replacement. I'm not familiar with that unit though. It would not be too hard to make a high temp alarm. They make them to replace smoke detectors in areas like garages and kitchens. A digital one would allow for your high temp setpoint and many of them have remote sensors that could be attached to your loop. Who knows, they might make them for that purpose. Good Luck.

Chunkytrout,

My stove does use an aquastat. But the stove is an air tite stove. When the water cools down ,the aquaststat tells th draft fan to kick on and blow air into the coals. Then when the water gets to the desired temp (mine is set at around 180-190 degrees) the draft fan shuts off and the flapper door shuts.

My problem is one time I forgot to close the ash auger door and the stove drew air through there. Then it got hotter and hotter until the pressure valve blew. What a mess.

It also took a while too get the air bled back out once I got it back up and running.

Aqua-Therm sold me another aquastat that I installed on the line so that if the temp gets too hot it will send another signal to the furnace fan that blows on the radiator that's installed in the old forced air furnace. Well that can't cool it off fast enough. So i would like some kind of signal to let me know it's getting too hot.

If anyone wants to know more on how the Aqua-Therm works let me know.

Maybe a secondary aquastat second in line with normally open conacts then. That aquastat closes with voltage across it going to some kind of horn or light?