• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Darn asian ladybugs are back.......

Yesterday we had an invasion like never before, I was outside and I had to take shelter inside.
Pumped up sprayer and gave a good dose of Malathion (spelled???) to house walls, killed a bunch of them, but I don't like to use chemicals too much due to pets and children.
Does anybody know how to keep them off th house ? They crawl into all crevices and get inside house.

------------------
Val Vignati

www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

I thought we had made it though the whole summer without them and then I get home last night and the house is covered in them.
Valv, what is that product you use to kill them? Is it cheaper than putting in a huge vacuum suction devise in the door way so when they come in it sucks them up and kills them so they can't climb back out?

Anyone use them for bait?

Granny

valv were you still getting rid of your collie?

------------------
Troutman72

CPR <(((<

[This message has been edited by troutman72 (edited 10-07-2004).]

Oh man, I hear ya brother. They came out in groves. Musta been at least a million of them bitin, stinky, little sob's at our house. We live in the country and they are combineing beans all around us.
I hear that if you dilute laundry detergent with water and spray with that it will kill 'em. All I know is that they really do bite. I couldn't even go outside, they were so thick it looked like it was snowing out. Has anybody ever heard of putting bay leaves in the window sills? I don't know if that works or not. But now my shop vac is full and when ever I turn it back on to suck up more of them the exhaust really stinks. I hope we get a freeze real soon and it don't warm back up either. At least until April.

What I want to know is how they can hang onto the truck for 150 miles. I'll still take them over the boxelder bugs.

I heard about sopay water too, but I was skeptical, I need more confirmation, but I will try anyway, what the heck....

Troutman I still have Toby, as you can see I really don't want him gone, but I will take a picture and email it today....

Granny, it was Mosquito-B-Gon from Ortho, it contains Malathion, and works good for mosquitos and other bugs, found it at Menards

------------------
Val Vignati

www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

Figures,

We have a butt cold End of Summer and at least you think to yourself that with the cold it won't let these little buggers live. Then BAM an extremely warm Fall (who would've figured) and we have to deal with these.........Mother Nature BAHHHHH!

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z
My Sponsors

I also live in the country and it seems like when they start harvesting beans is when they are displaced and like the rest said, it was really bad yesterday.

The nice warm sunny days of fall...

asian beetles, boxelder bugs, bee's & wasps

The front of my house faces south and gets covered with these. I spray the foundation and around the doors and windows with stuff like raid every few days and it helps so I don't have a "bug farm " inside over the winter.

I have heard of using a soap solution for tent catapillers/army worms, they ingest it and die. Don't know if it works on bugs.

Be careful what you spray on your house. I have a rental that the tenants sprayed some **** on last year and they stained my brand new vinyl siding permanently I think. Thay sprayed a whole **** can of whatever it was.

Ortho® Home Defense has worked very well for me around the house. Lasts several weeks and works very well on those darn asian ladybugs smile.gif

Didn't hurt the siding on the house smile.gif

No problem, I sprayed the tenants too, got rid of them also, but made a big mess on floor... grin.gif

I used it this summer, spraying around window perimeters, and vinyl siding never had a problem.

Now, I am going to find out where I can find something called "Bug Bomb" which supposed to kill any bug (and probably any living creature) in the house, you have to evacuate for 8hrs (including pets), then it neutralizes.

I am not a fanatic of chemicals, in fact I'm the opposite, but this year I had enough...
I am glad I won't have any more children, I will hate to see my 3 eyed, 1 leg, 13fingered son going through school age..... grin.gifgrin.gif

------------------
Val Vignati

www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

vulva (sp), oops just kidding

i just vacuum the SOB in the house( small portable)---outside no big deal--- and release them out side, our farmers like them because they eat aphids.. at least in the nebraska they do.. smile.gif

paully

Want to keep these critters out of your house or kill them dead? Hitman DM. Ready to use spray that won't stain siding or hurt any of your greenery. Only way to get it is to call your friendly ZepRep.

I noticed that to on da sippi on Wednesday and they do bite hard. So whatever happened to true lady bugs?

I had one of those danged ladybugs on my windshield this morning and it looked like it weighed about a pound! That bug was definately no lady!

The way it stings when the little ones pinch, if this bad boy got you when you were asleep, it could kill you before you could do anything about it! Get you in a choke hold, or something?

I had a hell of a time knocking him off the windshield with the wipers, but finally his grip gave way, after he brought the wipers to a complete stop for about 5 seconds!

I looked in the side mirror and the pounder hit the snoulder, rolled a couple of times, got his footing and just stood there, glaring at my truck as I drove down the road.

I hit the brakes, came to a stop, threw er in reverse and gunned it toward the bionic beetle! I was watching in the mirror and the pounder held his ground, got up on 4 legs and threw up his dukes!

To late, I got the drop on him and when I ran him over, it was like hitting a speed bump! Kinda like hitting a heavy duty peanut M&M!

But, but...as hard as I hit him, I jumped out of the truck to survey the damage and he was gone!

Grebe-
Man, how do you come up with this stuff? Absolutley hilarious. If you ever come down near Rochester and want to do some ice fishing let me know.
DT at vikingolds dot com

Valv! and All. the asian lady beetle is looking for a place to hibernate for the winter. They only become a problem in the fall. My best guess is right around oct 1st. The best treatment is to treat the entire exterior of your home, garage, etc with any residual insecticide. There are many good products to use some one sugested using Tempo this is a real good product. always follow the lable when mixing any pesticide.never over mix to think you will get a better job. Many product are labled to use in side but I would not use it for this pest or Cluster flys. its best to vacumm them up cuz if you spray them in side they can stain your walls. If you treat the exterior the last week of september their should bee enough residual to last till they get frozen out. rember no pesticide will keep them away. but kill them when they spend enough time on. If all else fails call me I have two wives to feed grin.gif and two expenisve habbits. Fishing and Golf. Nels also i can give any one a web site if they would like more Info.

Are Asian lady bugs different than American lady bugs? How can you tell the differance?

I got one of dem dang things crawlin cross my screen as I type dis. Ouch, dat little fellar yust bit me!

------------------
Erik Torgerson

[This message has been edited by Redlantern (edited 10-10-2004).]

LC the asian lady beetle has a black M or W on the pronotum The pronotum is the sheild that covers the head. Nels

Yeah they do have a little M on them, just like m&m s ! round colorful crunchy hard shell, soft and tasty on the inside, melts in your mouth not in your hands.
Plus bonus protein!

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}}("< ---><!>

I sprayed the house with Seven from Home Depot. Seemed to eliminate them but, it has cooled off from last Sat when they were so bad. It's just as important to spray the lawn surronding the house. I didn't know the soapy water killed them. I thought that was more of a detractant.

We have a few beetles, but the box elder bugs are really bad this year. We havent had hardly any for 2 years (only 3rd fall in home), but they are all over the inside and outside of the house. If I dont do anything this year will they be worse next year or is it just bad in my area this year? Any suggestions?

Dave B you have to treat the exterior of the house every fall best time around the 20th or so of september. They usually dont hit till the first of oct. Nels