• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How did you find FM???

hanson

OK- its hunting season, or fall fishing, or back to school, or football, or something that is keeping people away from the computer, so I'm going to throw out one of those "let's get to know people" topics.

So here it is- "How did you find FishingMinnesota.com?"

Was it word of mouth, friend of a friend, search engine, link, or who knows what it could be. Not quite sure if this topic has been hit on before. If it has, ooops, we'll let it sink to the bottom. If not, lets hear some stories.

Personally, I found FM back in 2001 when I was trying to find a little info on Upper Red Lake Crappie fishing. I eventually wandered on to Roger's Campground, Hudec's Resort, and the Waskish Minnow Station websites trying to find some info. I believe it was the Minnow Station who had a link to Fishing Minnesota and voila, here I am.

My dad, who is my main ice fishing partner, didn't want to make the trip so I went it alone. First time out, I brought home 5 of the biggest slabs I'd ever caught through the ice and my dad and I made the trip back out the next day for another round. Guess it didn't take too much convincing once he saw those fish. End of story- I'm still here, checking reports, posting info, and praying for a little cold weather and snow!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick

• hanson

• minneman

• TheGuy

I remember "why" I found it, but not exactly "how" I stumbled upon it.

I was searching for Lake Tetonka info...I won't forget that because I remember being so impressed by some of the posts there, just full of information...

I found it while trying to find out information on building a fish house. And let me tell you, information I found. I spent weeks reading old posts before joining and posting. This place has a wealth of info. Thanks to all that post and share there knowledge and experiance. grin.gif

I stumbled unpon it looking for some quality lake maps about 3years ago. I didnt see the forums on there then. Then about a month later I saw that my dad found this site that has all this info about fishing on it. So im like, sweet im going to check this stuff out. Read the forums and never left since.
Ive only had one other user name on here and now I adopted LocalGuide. I prolly have a total of 800 posts. It was definitly a good find.

OHH BTW, Go Nicollet Raider Football! wink.gif

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

Odd, I found it exactly the same way Hanson did! I have not yet made it to URL with my father, but that was the plan a few years ago. We have probably fished together only about 40 hours total and that includes the 1976 Muskies, Inc. tournament where I got 3rd place in the weight division and he got 13th I think in the release division. He wanted to go to LOW, I suggested URL for ice fishing and we never agreed (typical as you can imagine). He was in my boat a few hours in Wyoming this summer and refused to buy a license but has been begging for two years to meet me at Devil's Lake for walleye. We'll probably never fish together but it did bring me to this site, the best I've ever experienced. It's like a religion, one that I forced myself to shun for more than six months when my soon to be ex-wife accused me of chatting online with females looking for a good time. No sense adding fuel to the fire but now I do what pleases me.

Getting windy but must add that in two weeks I'm taking my mother elk hunting/lake trout and kokanee fishing for two weeks. She is who I hunted with as a kid and fished with her father. She was much more successful in hunting than my dad and she took much more pleasure in it. That's why when my dad decided he was coming to Wyoming to hunt too I told him he wasn't welcome. I had begged my mom for 20 years before she consented and I wanted pleasant memories for all of us. Don't condemn me just yet: we all agreed that the week of camping we did this summer was the best time of our lives thus far. That's saying a lot for our family. I look forward to others' stories about finding FM.

Kevin

I was new to computers in '98 and about a year later I figured out how to use the search bar on Yahoo. One day I typed in," fishing,mn " and this is where I came. there wasnt nearly this kind of traffic then. A year later I registered, and religiously Im here every morning and eavning.
Like Kevin, my wife thought there was some kind of hanky panky goin on, I prooved her wrong!
ps. kevin, life is too short. hoping things get better between you and your dad.

It was Jan of 2002. I was chasing "Ice Fishing" links in Googol & other ice fishing web pages. Another site had a link to "Ice Leaders forums" - which I soon realized was FM - after a week or so of snooping in the Ice forum, I was in, and here I am today.

I was actually quite surprised to find IL at the time, as I had found others which weren't all that great - but IL/FM sure was a pleasant surpise.

UG

** I had to look at my own profile to get the time frame right.... oops!

[This message has been edited by Uncle Grump (edited 09-30-2004).]

Found it by searching for fishing articles. Can you guess what I typed in the search box?

"Fishing Minnesota".

The rest is history.

I too, found this site by doing a search.

It has been my homepage ever since early 2000.

I think I have been one of the longest members here? Any other veterans out there?

I was in college at st cloud and was fishing 3-4 times a week on Mille Lacs and kept looking for reports. Some resort had a link I think and now I'm on this thing all day everyday!!

Pretty sure that my Yahoo search started with Fishing Minnesota.

Like someone else once posted, I could president of my company if I didn't spend so much time trolling the forums.

I was regular on another popular site dealing mainly with walleye fishing. I made a post stating that I thought that most of the posted topics seemed to degenerate into negative and attack comments and that I was tired of it. One of the respondents suggested FM and I've been here ever since.

------------------
If your are lucky enough to go fishing; you are lucky enough.

A couple years ago a buddy and I were trying to figure out how far north we needed to drive for an early December ice fishing trip.
I googled "fishing+minnesota" and my work ethic hasn't been the same since!

I had a friend who told me about the fishing reports page. (It's funny...I don't think he ever posts anything, but I started to.) It was around 2001 I think. I used to have a different name though. It was Finlander-something or other. I forgot what it was or I forgot my password so I re-formed myself as 89Bronco.

A quirky tidbit about this site---- After reading the Rainy Lake forum over several months, I realized I knew the moderator by the way he answered the questions. When I stopped at his store one day during ice-fishing season, I asked Dave if he was the "Fishmeister" and sure enough, I was right. He pointed me to a few good spots. wink.gif

A couple of years ago I was looking for info on fishing Pool 5 and I searched on Yahoo and came to this site, and been reading every once in a while since. This year I finally decided to join and hopefully add some info.

My family and my wife's family have places up north and I was going up a couple of weeks a year. I decided to try and find out info on the areas we visited by searching on the internet. Well I found MN and the next thing you know I buy a place in Hackensack!

Tad

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-30-2004).]

thanks to good ol' Ebass for telling me about this site a few years ago. Thanks Ebass

Good Fishin'...

was looking for ice fishing info one day, and up pop FM. Wife claims that I spend way too much time here smile.gif

O

Last October, I was'nt even sure what a "Site" was...I'm pretty new to the computer.

Well, as I moved along in the process, picking up bits and pieces here and there, my son "The Yeti" told me about this site
and one evening, gave me a little tutoring, I now tune in twice a day!

If I'm not working, fishing, running the never ending errands, if there is no boxing, Twins baseball, Golf event with Tiger in it, or Vikings foot ball, if I'm all caught up, it's a whirl through FM to see what's shaking!

I was looking for information of any kind of fishing at the time. I wanted to just get some info how fishing was up north. Came across FM and was on it for about a year and a half before I set myself up with a user name. I just love it and can't get enough of it. I'm on it way to much at work! I have emailed a few people with questions and it's not only been great for info on a new boat but also for getting to know other people out there.
This is a great site, Thanks to everyone that "works" on it each day!!

------------------
Get the Net!!

I believe i found a link to fm on another site.

------------------
Why did'nt Noah swat those two mosquitos?

Gary

Well I'm not speaking for anyone else but Wiskers Guiding Service is the reason for me being here. He told me that this is an excellent resource for all kinds of B.S. oops I mean tricks and tips. Addicted so far now just lookin for the FM addicts annonomyous group to start up soon.

i found this site from a guy at work less than a year ago. i had been asking where i could get good, up to date fishing reports. started checking out the forums as well and now i can't get enough of the site. usually check it 4-5 times per day.

opsirc-i'm in the same boat. my wife thinks i spend too much time on this site also. but it's got just about everything a guy needs to know about fishing. what more could you ask for.
riversnags-i'll be at the FM annonymous group also!

Lookin' for info on buildin' a fishhouse. Liked what I saw; have checked back constantly and like to browse the metro area, open/ice water and exp info forums.

*Warning* Cheesy line ahead:

"And it wouldn't be any good without each and everyone of you!"

McGurk- Uhh, guess I could have went without the cheesy line but I'll forgive you because you are exactly right grin.gif

I found FM looking for the Local Metro hot spots on the ice. I had a portable & all the gear but no info on where to fish on Tonka during the hard water. I had received a ton of info here and have never left.

I would like to thank Rick for the great site & info!!!!!!

I don't know what I would do with-out it & good luck to all on the water.

SportFishin'

------------------
"I fish there for I am!"

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I and all the volunteer FM Pro Staff appreciate you. You make it fun as well as interesting.

It's also pretty cool from my viewpoint reading how all of you found FM.

FishingMN Family is an appropriate designation for all of you - I believe smile.gif

"We Do Have More Fun"