• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Strangest thing that happened to you while fishing?

The Yeti

LOTW 2 years ago. There was a very large storm that was swinging north of us. There was so much static in the air, that when I went to cast, my line actually started going up into the sky. I've had rods start to hum and stuff like that, but this kind of freaked me out. Very strange..

Ahhh,
We haven't visited this subject in a while!lol

I recall fishing on the Turtle Flambeau with my wife and friends when a storm loomed.

My wife has hair to her lower back and it was standing on end!!! No Good!

Jim;

I don't think it is very polite to tell others that your wife has a hairy back!!!!!!!!!!!

grin.gif

Probably just pushed the limits.........But I couldn't resist...............sorry!!!

I posted this before, but I caught a Bear Compound bow out of Mille Lacs! I thought it was a turtle at first?

I hauled it in cleaned it up, gave the reel it had attached to my friend and sold the bow for $50.00!

Not really weird, but it was rewarding to see.
I was fishing with my father-in-law and wife on Kab in a small bay with 2 other boats that were all her relatives, 3 of the people in the other boats were women. We were catching walleyes in the weeds in the back side of the bay, (which was actually too small for all three of our boats) and three boats were set up at the mouth of the bay not catching anything. After watching us catch fish for awhile one of the boats fired up the motor and came flying into the bay at full tilt, and sat right in line with our trolling paths and anchored and casted. That bothered me a little, but when one of the guys stood up and took a leak right in front of all of the girls it ticked me off even more. The guys were obviously drunk and extremely loud. After about ten minutes the second one stood up in the boat and unzipped his pants, and just before we were going to start yelling at him, he fell in. He was only in about 4 or 5 feet of water, but panicked and just about pulled his buddy in the water, while screaming at the top of his lungs the whole time. Everyone was laughing extremely hard, and when he did get back in the boat they were so embarassed they took off full tilt out of the bay. God, that felt great!

The Yeti, I have had the same exact thing happen to me this year while fishing. It was the first time I have experienced that. I thought it was kinda cool. tongue.gif
We were out bobber fishing at the time. So when you would cast out the line it would never touch the water. It was kinda nice, no water resistance wink.gif lol. That only lasted for about 15 mins then it quit. We did find out that mono line will viberate the rod tip more than superline (powerpro). That was interesting.
We did catch close to 2 limits of eyes that afternoon in a 4hr period. That was fun on a bobber! The biggest was a 23" that day.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

I thought of another thing that happend this year.

While fishing out on Lake Bemidji this year we were watching some little ducklings feeding/jumping in the reeds. Well I was thinking to my self at the time, "It would sure be cool to see a muskie splash and take one of them little ducks." Well guess what happened...a huge SPLASH!
The hen duck goes flying trying to count the little ones she had along (5 of them) to make sure their still there. Well after about 30 sec when everything finially cools down, I counted them and there was still 5. I was thinking dang, it actually missed. Little did I know about 2 mins later I see/hear another SPLASH! I guess it was a failed attempt again, and was the last one of the night that I saw/heard. But that was really SWEET! I definitly wont forget that, guess what I will be getting into next year when I go to college up there wink.gif lol. I cant wait now!

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

The weirdest thing I saw I still can hardly believe it happened! I was fishing with two kids on this clear lake for bass and getting a few on jigs, one of the kids put on this hidious looking day glo green crankbait on. I told him he would never get anything on that in this clear water, but he stuck with it. about five minutes later I saw a nice largemouth near a stump with a big bright green crankbait in its mouth! I yelled , you got one, set the hook! then I looked back and he wasnt even fishing and that ugly bait was not even in the water, just hanging off the end of his rod tip! I said hmmmm, and cast my jig at the bass. this is where it gets really weird!! The bass sees my jig and shakes its head a little, and this lure comes out of its mouth and floats to the surface! Then it comes over to look at my jig, but didn't take it, then just disappeared into the deep.
I went over and got the lure, it was a day glow green crankbait just like the one on the kids line shocked.gif

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}}("< ---><!>

I'm sure this has happened to more then one of you guys out there...my kids and I were casting for bass out in Greys Bay on Minnetonka, my oldest, who was about 12 or 14 at the time, had on a Gold Rapala, he takes a mighty cast toward the docks around the old landing and hes waiting for the lure to land and all of a sudden there is this big jerk on the rod, only going up-ward!

He had'nt expected that, who does, and he let out a yell that startled everyone in the boat. Here a Gull had bagged his lure in mid air! He cranked him in and we got him loose and away he went.

Up on Kab. saw a bear swim out to an island. We motored for a closer look and watched him walk up to a screen tent and get up on his hind legs, ripped thru one side and ran out with a box of crackers in his mouth. The owners must have been out on the lake, boy I bet they were wondering what happened when they got back.

Also, fishing on Gull last fall, I started to get an itchy feeling and my hair started to stand up. My buddy's rod started to buzz, and my line didn't want to touch the water.Very weird, we moved to another spot a couple hundred yards away and it was gone. A storm came thru an hour later. I know a pilot who said lightning can strike from 60 miles away. If you feel this ever, get the heck out of there.

Some of the wierder things that happened to me were ice fishing. They aren't really that unbelievable, just things I figure what are the odds of all of this working out like it did?

Bobber goes down fishing crappies, set the hook on my jig stick, the line breaks above the bobber on a fish. I didn't think it was necessarily large from the feel, old jig stick, not a slip bobber. I remember I'd set that line at a different depth than the other one, so decided to change the depth to match. Threw the weight on the other, holes are probably 6' a part, reset the the depth, pulled it up to take off the weight, there's a piece of line leader to my other bobber. Pull up the rest of the line throw a half pound crappie in the bucket.

Another time fishing crappies, early ice, maybe 6", no snow. Move the portable put, down the lines, walked back to pick something else up from the previous spot, come back, one of the jig sticks is gone. Fish must have pulled it down the hole. Again old jig stick, wooden handle. I start thinking, you know that things going to float & the ice is clear... I start doing circles around the fish house, pretty soon I see it maybe 20' away. I drill a new hole & lay down on the ice, a nearby fisherman starts watching me rather interestedly. I said come & look at this & then I reached down the hole & pulled up the jig stick, no fish, but the hook was still there.

I'll just list the one from last Sat night. Caught a small mouth with a crayfish in its throat that had both claws dug into my rubber minnow. No way I wasn't landing that fish!!

bobber fishing fishing mille lacs about 8 - 9 years ago and my buddy set his brand new $200 spinning set up (fenwick and shimano) on the ledge of his pro V and went to get a beer from the cooler. when he stood up he knock it in the lake.
we were only fishing in 8ft so the bobber was still floating, went over to grab the bobber and bring in the rod, as soon as he leaned over the edge to grab the bobber<<<<
GONE under it went grin.gif
we all started laughing out of control and he ended up just fired up about it the rest of the weekend.

Still make fun of him to this day!

Similar to one of the above posts. We were on a fishing trip in Puerto Vallarta. On the way back to shore we were trolling while the guide was cleaning the fish, throwing the guts over the side. Seagulls were going crazy diving for the guts. Anyway we ended up catching 2 sea gulls on the way in. They get a little mad when you try to unhook them, you have to tuck their head under their wing and they calm right down.

backlash 1,

I was fishing in Puerto Vallarta a year or two ago and did very well. We were fishing for roosterfish when I hooked into a 9 ft sailfish. I was just wondering how you did, did you go with a guide or out of a resort?

backlash 1,

I was fishing in Puerto Vallarta a year or two ago and did very well. We were fishing for roosterfish when I hooked into a 9 ft sailfish. I was just wondering how you did, did you go with a guide or out of a resort?

Good advice Fin, this is usually the last thing that people remember when they are struck by lightning...if they live to tell about it. Get out and get out fast...or sit one a pile of rubber...LOL!

I was fisihing for carp at the miss during winter at a warm water discharge. I went to cast, which scared a pigeon, which flew into my line and got the line wrapped around its wings. It flew up, taking my line and lure with it, until it had taken enough line out that the lure met it in mid air and knocked the pigeon down into the water. Reeled it in and my buddy and I went on to removing the line which had wrapped around the bird and pinned the wings back so it couldn't move. We released it in good condition though, just a bit flustered.

Fishing Ottertail lake and I went up to grab a new setup and my G.Lommis that I had lying on the floor behind the driver decided to go overboard, being pulled by a northern, that was on Tuesday and I was sick all week. Friday, me and my buddy were fishing and he got hung up and pulled up my rod but the thing that is crazy was I was in the back of the boat watching when I looked into the water and there was a Northern and I thought, that is odd and that it hit me, that was the fish that took my rod and I ended up pulling him in also.

Bucktailsam:

Way to go, i'd love to tie into a big sailfish.
On advice from another tourist, we hopped a bus to Punta Mita, (about an hour north) and hired a local guide there. We trolled for Dorado, and Marlin, but only caught Bonita.
The next year we hired the same guy for bottom fishing, where the seagull epasode happened.

My eight year old snagged a log with his jig earlier this year, and I'm hovering the boat over the snag in very clear water. He keeps jiggling his line making the line and the jig twitch back and forth. As I watch a bass swims up to the plastic on his jig, grabs it in his mouth and unhooks him, then swims away.

We have a buddy from San Diego who, since he moved here, has taken quite an interest in fresh water fishing and hunting. I guess you could still call him a "newbie" to fresh water fishing if you will. Twice this year he hooked into what he thought were huge fish. Eyes got big as saucers, very energetic and exciteable when trying to reel these in. .......................... one was the fish basket, the other time it was the anchor rope. We were all laughing so hard our guts ached.

This didn't happen to me but a buddy of mine. He was night fishing from a dock at a Mankato area lake. He was using a leech with no wieght as he likes to let it swim around and has had some luck with this technique. Well he casts out his line and it never touches the water. He starts feeling resistance and then notices a bat flying around over his head like crazy. You guessed it, the bat had his leech! Well not wanting to land the bat he just cut his line and said bon vioage to the bat, hook, and leech! I still laugh about it when I think of it.

~piker

I got 2 stories.
One time i was bobber fishing with crappie minnows off the dock for perch and walleye. My bobber gave a little twitch so I set the hook but came up short. I reeled in my line to see if my minnow was still there and as it came up to the dock I saw my minnow was still on and that a little perch was following it. The perch grabbed by bait. After that I started to lift the fish out of the water when all of a sudden a BIG muskie comes screamin out from underneath the dock and swallows my perch whole. So i was reeling in my bait that was eatin by a perch that was eatin by a muskie. Never did get the muskie in (6 lb. test line doesn't work so well on those monsters) Anyway though it was pretty exciting to see.

My next one was that I was fishing over a friends house. We were going for carp. Just a hook and some corn. His line had been out there for a while so he reeled in...only thing was, he couldn't. We thought he was snagged but were we ever wrong. He kept pulling and pulling because he had pretty strong line and if his line did snap, it was just a hook he lost. After a couple minutes of that, something came to the surface. Turned out he had snagged about a 30-40 lb snapping turtle on the shell. Luckily his dock wasnt long so he dragged into towards shore and that the hook was snagged more in back so we could get the hook off without losing a hand. Soon as we got it off the turtle bolted back in the water (not that a turtle can bolt but it was fast for the big fella). Needless to say we didnt swim for the rest of the day cuz that was not a happy turtle. Ill remember those fishing experiences for the rest of my life.

I was bobber fishing on Mille Lacs a couple of years ago.I pull up to a spot and anchor and throw out a line.About a minute later the bobber goes down and I set the hook and the line breaks so I reel it in and tie on a new hook and throw it back out.Another minute goes by bobber goes down set the hook and the line breaks again and feels like a nice fish.Third time get the fish half way up and line breaks again.Forth time I grab a rod I had just rerigged and throw it out bobber goes down and I pulled up a 27 inch eye.I looked in its mouth and there was my 3 previous hooks still in its mouth.I removed the hooks and released the fish.This all happened within 15-20 minutes.

A friend and I were fishing the Cloquet River just upstream from his cabin last summer. It was a beautiful summers day and the fish were biting. I was thinking things couldn't get much better, when around the bend, came two women paddleing a canoe topless. That was pretty cool.

Waaay back in high school me and some friends were just getting out of the BWCA after a week of back-packing out in the bush. The exit point came out next to a resort (Rose Lake area). As we were coming out of the woods we noticed a topless women bathing out on the end of the dock. Well being a bunch of horny highschoolers, we quickly jumped into the water to swim out to get a better view. Turns out she was a naturlist or an Euro who did not believe in shaving, and was quite hairy. That was not so cool.

About 4 years ago on a trip in the BWCA a friend was fishing and had a fish on that broke his line. 5 to 10 minutes later he had another fish on. He had a 21 inch small Mouth and never hooked the fish. This was the same fish that broke him off earlier and that hook was still in the fishes mouth. The hook he had on was hooked through the eye of his old hook. We almost paddled 18 miles out that day for him to buy a lottery ticket!!

------------------
Get the Net!!

This is'nt about fishing, but it happened to my older brother, whom I wrote about in a different post, as the guy that got jerked off a bridge enbutment by a Muskie and broke his leg, so in a round about way, one has absolutely nothing to do with the other!

He was driving between his home in Little Falls and his job in St Louis Park very early one morning...few cars out, foggy and quiet.

He is driving down highway #10, in the area of the Greystone College, he said he had the radio on and was just tooling down the road when all of a sudden he heard a noise inside the cab of the pick up, like someone was try to get the door open?

All of a sudden, something leaped out from the loose door panel, screeching, and right onto his chest!

He said he knows he let out a holler (probably more like a scream) and lost control of the truck, as the thing got on his head and started clawing him.

He went into the ditch, got the truck stopped, got ahold of the thing all at the same time, he bailed out and the intruder fled...but not before leaving part of it's tail, it was a squirrel that somehow got into the truck through one of the holes and bedded down in the door.

He was lucky there was no auto accident, he got his truck out of the ditch by himself, and proceeded on to work. He told me he was quite shaken for awhile and he was pretty scratched up, but he sure had a good story to tell!

While pitching slip bobbers from the banks of the cannon river near randolph a few years back, my bobber goes down, I set the hook and start cranking in. Whatever is on the other side at this point feels like dead weight, with an ocassional tug to keep me wondering. One eyelets, two eyelets, three eyelets Im just starting to think I had a new fishing pole when an older oriental man from about 75 yard upstream comes running down Speaking in his native tongue he jumps into the water grabs the reel and before I had time to blink he reels in a big carp. Lucky for him I caught his combo. I think the rights to this story are well worth not getting to keep the rod and reel.