• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

poison ivy treatment

Bobb-o

Ok, so i am a complete ***** and went walking through the woods with shorts on, and of course managed to get poison ivy on my legs, anybody know any good treatments?

Try a oatmeal treatment bath (sorry can't remember the name of the stuff). You can buy it at any store and come in seperate packages. Usually 8 to a box. Use two packages the first time to shock the ivy. They go to the one package, should be gone with in a week if not sooner.

Alright, I get this stuff really bad and have a very bad reaction to it. I have tried everything known to man. My best treatment is good old fashion rubbing alcohol. It will dry it out and its painful but it really helps to stop the itch and help to prevent spreading. Apply it numerous times throughout the day. The other thing I would suggest is to keep it covered through the night so good skin doen not come in contact. Keep it uncovered in the day if possible and expose it to sunlight, that seems to help me anyway. If it gets bad enough, go in and get a shot! Good luck!

I feel your pain!

Last thursday I was out hacking up some overgrown bushes by the house, and hauled out a big poison ivy vine...bare handed!

Still not knowing what I got into, I went into the house, to the bathroom... guess where I got it??? YOWW!!

Then Friday afternoon my face starts erupting with welts and rashes, my left eye swollen almost shut by Sat AM...missed Haydays because of it...

So I went to the doc, they put me on 20 days worth of Prednisone & some prescription ointment...it worked, swelling on the face almost to nothing in 2 days, and the rash on the hoo-hah is gone!

If you are working in the brush, wear gloves and long sleeves!

TL

Prednisone is the only way to actually cure it. Generally for PI it takes 3 weeks to kick it from your system. Any of the Lanacaine or Cortisone only helps the itching it does NOTHING for healing. At least this is what the Doctor told me Friday when I went in. Prednisone is good and all, but for me it doesn't let me sleep. Friday night I was up until 4:30am.........ouch.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

The best product on the market and I think the only one of its kind is TECNU.(available on the shelf at drug stores and they have a website) It will remove the toxic oils but won't heal current blisters. It will however speed recovery and prevent spreading by removing the oils. I use Caladryl sp? to control itch. Basically you have to ride it out. It will take a while to run its course. HOT HOT water feels so good on the rash (occasionaly) as well and will relieve the itch for a while. I feel your pain (itch) as I have had ivy so many times. It seems like hundreds. I now have auto-spot enabled in my brain and can see an ivy leaf from far off without even looking. Nasty stuff for those of us it affects.

[This message has been edited by Suzuki (edited 09-13-2004).]

I feel for those that are affected by ivy. My neighbor sprayed for it and thought it was all around his yard ,when he sprayed by the 80' oak tree it died in days.I would have never thought a big tree like that could be harmed by a small amount of poison ivy killer.This tree went from summer green to brown wilted leaves in less than 3 days.careful with the sprays.Metro

Yeah,

I really good and wired right now. At least my eyes are my mind is winding down and I'm tired on the inside.....yuck!

It was interesting what the doctor had said. That PI lasts for about 3 weeks once you've got it. It if you wash your hands, etc. And take care of the oils it leaves you are contagious anymore. I always thought the blisters if popped would recause it. Also, if say a tree falls on some PI, that oil that gets on the tree will last up to 2-3 years so you really need to watch yourself.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

I bought this stuff called Zanfel. It is the only thing I've found that works. Do a search engine on it. It is expensive, but results are nearly miraculous, and it works really fast.

My older brother, who lives up in Little Falls and fancies himself a woods guy, put a bunch of that stuff in a firepit and made the mistake of breathing some of the smoke!
You guessed it, he land in the hospital.

Thanks for the tip on burning it, I have the offending weed in question on my burn pile right now. I think I will take it to the yard waste place instead.

Moving it with gloves, long sleeves, and long pants on of course. Will not make that mistake twice.

In the mid 1970s I was afflicted so bad I couldn't open my eyes. I received a stat dose of Kenalog by injection, then applied Kenalog ointment for 2-3 weeks. I used to trim a resort's hillside two to three times a year that was covered with the stuff, taking money from the customers' kids who dared me to eat the leaves. Worked for a while...Won't happen again.

Kevin

When I have gotten Poison Ivy, we always used to dab on Calamine Lotion with a cotton ball. Let it dry, and it seems to draw out the oil (although I could be wrong on that). The oatmeal bath stuff is called Aveno. It is a powdered stuff you put in the bathwater, also helps with swimmers itch.

JPZ,

I hear you, I was up past midnite last night. Doc said I could take Benadryl along with it, which makes me drowsy.

One thing that I have noticed is that the Prednisone makes me hyper during the day. So with that and 2 cups of coffee I am zippin' along real nicely today.

A word to the wise on this Poison Ivy stuff...!

I rarely get the blisters, even when I have been directly exposed to the stuff...I thought that I was immune...I believe I'am to some degree, as I have only been affected twice. I've been around and in the stuff a bizzillon times.

The first time was standard and it went away with standard treatment. The second time, I got it on the front of my right ankle, just a few blisters and I waited to long to get treatment on it....it got into my nerve system and I now have a cronic itch!

It is the size of a 50 cent piece and it looks like syriocis (Or however you spell it). I've used rubs and ointments, Cortizone, Silver Nitrate, Been to the doctors and Dermatologists and there is nothing they can do...that baby is there for the duration and the itch periodically drives me crazy!

Funny thing about it, I have never had Poison Ivy since I got this thing and that was over 20 years ago and let me tell you boys, I'am one active outdoorsmen!

I've had poison ivy so many times it's ridiculous. I know it's not Dr. recommended but everytime I get it I put some bleach on a paper towel and apply to the affected areas, I usually get rid of it in 3-6 days cuz it dries the skin up so much. Also be careful when applying it with any colored clothes you really like.
redhooks

Washing with an anti-bacterial soap between layers of an ointment helped me. Several years ago, I had it thick on both forearms during the heat of July. You could watch the blisters grow across my arms. I was wearing flannel shirts for three weeks for protection and absorption.

I have poison ivy all over my place and usually get it 2-3 times a year. Luckily it has been small areas, usually on my ankles. I've had luck using Calamine lotion, make sure it has hydrocortizone in it, plus I have some hydrocortizone cream at work so I can dab it on when the itch is bad.

I've read that once you have it, the clear liquid that oozzes out of the boils is NOT contagious and will NOT cause more boils. Its the contact with the original PI oil on your shoes, pants, the original plant that cause the boils.

I've also read that you can become more susceptable to PI over the years with repeated exposure, but luckily I haven't experienced that.

One more thing, when spraying it, just use a 2, 4, D broadleaf killer and it will kill the PI and all other broadleafs, even small trees, but it won't kill grass or large trees, unless you really soak the leaves of a large tree. The guy that mentioned killing a large oak must have been using something more potent.

About 25 years ago I got it so bad that I was bed ridden for three days. Had it every place that you can think shocked.gif. But the best part of that was that I have never gotten PI again. So my thinking is just go out and roll around in the stuff then hope and pray that you never get it again tongue.gif
Good luck with PI, it stinks to have.

Make sure you wash all clothes, gloves etc, you might have been wearing at the time you contacted it, or you stand the risk of re-getting it.
As far as stopping the itch, I have tried rubbing alcohol, bleach, etc, but what works well for me is clear primer, the kind used for cleaning PVC pipe before glueing.
PS. Scratch real good before you put the primer on.

I'm immune to it.........

Poison oak too........

Along with itch weed.........

I could roll around in it all day and walk away with a smile.............I've never had an itch or anything.......

Strange, but I'm happy.........

Years ago I helped out at a retriever Trial down by the Mississippi. I didn't realize that all the dogs were running through the stuff all day. I was helping several owners and petting dogs all day. The next morning I woke up with it everywhere. I don't think there was a bit of my skin not affected with it. I even had it in my hair!

For the next 24 hours, the blisters got progressively worse. Ended up at the doctor and he prescribed Prednisone. It really threw me for a loop. I slept about 5 hours total in the next 10 days. the doctor told me when the itch got too bad to take hot showers, hot as I could stand it, and use a good anti-bacterial soap. He suggested Dial. He also told me about the bleach treatment but didn't recommend it unless the itch got unbearable.

His advice too was if you think you've been in contact with it, wash as soon as you can with strong soap. PI takes several hours to be absorbed and take effect. If you get into the stuff, get home right away. Get out of your clothes and wash them in hot water (or bag and toss them!). Then, take a hot, hot shower and wash with strong soap.

He warned me that those affected by PI generally get worse with each time you have it. I've been very careful since then and always wash when I know I've been near it. Springtime is the most potent time of year for it and the time when you can miss the new plants easily, so be careful!

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)

when i was growing up! iwas very alergic to it for 3 years for six weeks in spring i got a shot in both arms and i have never had it since!! we would use calladryll and calimine lotion and wash with lye soap..
have never got more than a few bumps since.
poisin oak or suemac is a relative.

------------------
Dwight Skillings
dlskills@mchsi dot com

• 3 weeks later...

What a deal??? I posted about a bout with Poison Ivy about 20 years ago, immunity, blah, blah, blah....I got the danged stuff again!

Shortly after I posted, I somehow got the Poison Ivy on my ankle, a spot the size of a quarter, blisters, itches like crazy! I'm putting ointment on it and taking antihistimines, cheez, bummer!

But, there is an up side to this episode...
the chronic itch I got from the Ivy 20 years ago, suddenly stopped itching once I got the new stuff?

The heavy callouse from scratching is even starting to go away? Hair of the dog? I don't know, but I'll take it! Go figure?

The best soap to wash with after coming in contact with the stuff is called "Fels Naptha" or something like that - it really washes the oils away. I have had PI many times. For myself I find that if I take a small pin ( put it in a flame first to sterilize it ) and then take the pin and gently pop each of the tiny blisters - its impossible to get them all - so that the skin is open - then apply the rubbing alcohol - it will really dry up the whole area and also take care of the itching. I have done this for years -and have absolutely no scarring or other...just be somewhat gentle. The part about the burning is true. My Dad landed in the hospital in the Winter after burning some wood in the old Ice-fishing house stove. The wood had PI oils and the smoke carried the oils everywhere and he had it bad!

• 2 weeks later...

This is really weird....I have a few other posts on this topic, but here's an update.

I've had Poison Ivy 3 times in my life. The 2nd time I got it on the front of my ankle and it never went away.

For whatever reason, I developed a chronic itch in the line where the blisters were and it lasted 20 years!

I seen dermatologists, doctors, tried rubs, had a doctor put liquid nitrogen on it trying to burn it out, nothing worked and at times, I would scratch it until it bled!

From the years of scratching and scarring from the nitrogen, I developed a callouse about the size of 2 fifty cent pieces. Long ago, I figured that it was there for the remainder of my life, but you never get used to the severe itch.

A month ago, I got a spot of Poison Ivy on my other ankle...treated it with cortisone cream and antihistimines, did'nt scratch it when it itched and after about 2 weeks, it went away...here's the kicker, for whatever reason the chronic itch stopped and it has'nt itched once since I got the fresh case? After 20 years, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it does'nt reemerge, I've did my time!

Poison ivy is an autoimmune reaction; it's not the oils, it's your body's reaction to it. Makes the old one going away seem more likely. Don't question it. Also, you've had pi more times than you know--the first time doesn't count. You get the oil on your skin and your body deals with it. The second time it overreacts and that's when you get a reaction.

ice

Ice9..."Okay!" Not being any kind of scientist, your explaination is as good as any and I'll run with it!

Truthfully speaking, I don't care about the mechanics, it's something I hope to never duplicate, I'm just really, really glad it is gone!

One would think that the dermatologists and doctors would know about what you stated in your post? If they don't, they **** sure should, it would have saved me 20 years of scratching!

One question...If we have had it more then we know, (I'am a very active outdoorsmen) I must have had it without knowing it, during those 20 years, why did'nt it nullify the big itch then?

1. Wash with Dial
2. Soak with Alcohol
3. Apply Baking Soda/Water paste
4. Clean blisters with peroxide
5. All the while I take Benadryl (Makes you drowsy though), and anti-inflamatory like Advil or Tylenol.

The Dial is realy just to dissolve the oil on your skin. The baking soda really dries, the blisters. Just like how it is the best cure for a bee sting.

I went to have the quarterly taxes done tonight and my accountant and friend Dennis Nelson, were BSing and we got on the subject of poison ivy and he told me of a remedy that I have'nt heard anyone mention? He said he thinks he read about it in a Mn. Volunteer booklet.

Jewelweed! Otherwise known as "Touch Me Nots, or Impatients". You either crush them up in your hands and rub them on the Poison Ivy, Oak, or whatever, or boil the juice out of them and rub that on the affected area.

Supposed to work as good, or better then the cortisone stuff? It would be my luck to rub that concoction on me and wake up in the morning looking like a toad!