• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sportsmans Handshack Means ZERO

Yamahopper

The story goes, I responded to ad in the classified on a Atv. I looked at the unit and made a offer. The offer was acepted and the type of payment was to be cash or certifide check agreed apon. The unit was to be picked up after 5.00 pm the next day. I came at 5.30 to pick up said unit no one home. Waited around,tried to call two times, came back,room mate came home and got a hold of seller. He said he had a better offer and sold the unit again. I am thinking the least the seller should do after wasting 2 hrs. of my time would be a counter offer after a handshake. Anybody have some input? NO NAMES NO BRANDS JUST WHAT'S A SPORTSMAN,S HANDSHAKE WORTH!

A deal is a deal and he should have stuck with the deal he made with you. I realize that is from a ethics/moral point of view and not a legal one, but still he made a deal with you and should considered it sold.

I had the same thing happen a while ago when I bought a three wheeler. I went and look at this machine and said I would buy it for x amount all fine and dandy.I call the next day to tell him I've got the cash and will be over shortly, he tells me that he has a dilemma he has been offered more money for the wheeler.I said "I thought you sold this last night" after a long pause he said "I did". I bet he didn't have another offer but would have thought nothing trying to renegotiate .

I would shake it off and something better will come along,and you'll be glad about everthing . Metro

think of it this way: you didn't really want to give your money to that jerk anyways, right? Something better will come along.

Always go with CASH in hand. Usually you can get a better deal for the item and don't have to worry about getting beat to the punch. Has always worked best for me.

I had a boat dealer in the Bemidji area do the same thing to me. It was closing time on Saturday so he said just come back next week and we will do a service on the motor and make sure every thing is running properly. I thought, well its a three hour drive, but I would rather have everything running right before I pick it up. Well, I call on Monday to see if I can pick it up early afternoon and guess what, another employee sold it after hours on Saturday. Thanks a lot. I had the money in my check book on Saturday but the saleman told me just to hang on to it until Monday. Gone. Hey I guess I wouldn't have wanted to deal with them for service down the road any way. I bought the same boat, with a newer motor and in better shape about two months later for a cheaper price. It does tick you off at the time(and two years later) but a better deal will eventually come around.

He was wrong, no doubt. But the world is full of good used cars, boats, ATV's or whatever. You'll find a better ATV for a better deal and in the end will be happy the dirty no good, pencil necked, SOB did what he did.

My dad had a new 22-250 picked out at the local sporting goods shop (where he and I had both previously worked) and even had a down payment on it and the serial number for it. Went back to get it and they had sold it to someone else.

The biggest impact you can have on them is to vote with your feet and your dollar. Take it somewhere else and make sure a manager or owner at that place knows about it.

"Life can be a b!%, but even b!%es can put out."

It's a real drag to hear all this. FM is how I met a fishing buddy. It all started when he was asking about fish houses and trailers. Next thing ya know, I built some stuff for him, he bought some beer, we're going goose hunting and ice fishing.

The handshake is only as good as the arm the hand is connected to. I'd still like to think that 99.99% of us sportsmen are quality people. Unfortunately is only the .01% we ever hear about and it ruins it for everyone else.

BoilerGuy...Well put! It is the person, not the shake!

It's not just sportmen, it happens in all walks of life, from people you would never think would chop your legs out from under you!

Your neighbor, your friend, your relative, sometimes even ouselves to some degree, we must all be guilty of making a bad decision in that area, maybe we just don't know about it! Might not be anything big, but???

Sometimes dollars and ethics don't make mix to well, for some people!

I've said it before: There's just as many good guys on this site as A-holes. I've met and done business with some pretty good guys. Fortunately, I've only had to read the posts from the others.

[This message has been edited by IFallsRon (edited 09-03-2004).]

My guess there are many more stand up good folks on this site than there are jerks. Just look at all the good info passed back and forth.

There are a few jerks for certain, but most I think are really good people.

I have been in the same boat, had a deal and then was told a better offer came around. If he really needed the extra money that bad then so be it, I don't know what his financial situation was so I can't really judge. I did learn that a deal isn't done until the cash is paid....

Sometimes even cash exchange isn't enough. Did you read about the guy that had his Deer mount stolen by the Taxidermist???