• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bone head moves!

I'd forgotten about this, remember back in 98 or 99 somewhere in there the last week in February it was so foggy there were schools closed like three days that week. On a Friday night I went ice fishing on Lake Reno & fished until a little after dark, no luck. Then I packed up & headed for shore. It had been warm, hence all the fog, so the lake was melted totally clear, no trails. You can see maybe 20-20 yards tops. Do you think I could find the landing?

Close to shore there was still a lot of snow, often with slush under it. I finally found shore, but there's a lot of undeveloped shoreline, so I couldn't figure out where I was. I wandered around trying to follow the shoreline & eventually got so stuck it took me half an hour to shovel out. Eventually I thought I found the trail that goes out to a friends field road off the lake & got off the lake. Bzzzz! Wrong! Different property, maybe would have gone out that way anyway, but after walking around I realized the field roads were too soft & muddy. Decided I knew which way to head now as the fog wasn't as bad off the lake. Tried to drive back on the lake & got hung up on a stump, done, not going to move.

I fired up the lantern & started walking the shoreline to try to find some help. Shortly I saw other truck lights doing circles on the lake, gee wonder why they're doing that? Pretty soon they start coming for me, obviously they think I'm the landing. Anyway as I suspected they were lost too. I said I thought I knew how to get off now if they could help me pull my truck out I'd show them the way. Which they did, & I finally led them off the lake about 15 minutes later. It sucked, 1.5 hours at least, trying to get off the lake. I had a working GPS with me, but had never put the landing in it. When do you ever need that on a small lake? First time in my life I ever did.

What's even dumber, is the next night I went back out fishing again in the crappy ice conditions with a buddy & we got 9 walleyes. Sorry this was so long.

Years ago I was on a three-wheeler out on Mille acs doing a little ice fishing, trying to catch up to a buddy who was on a snowmobile. I came up to a crack that was about 2 feet wide and had frozen over. Standing on the pegs I dropped the wheeler in 2nd gear and proceeded to cross the crack. The next thing I know I'm hurled over the handlebars and ended up flat on my back on the other side of the crack. I sat up and turned around to look at the wheeler, it was in the crack, half sticking out and still running.

After pulling the wheeler out of the water the front end froze solid and the tire was flat. As I sat there with my heater trying to thaw out the tire it hit me how lucky I was. I was miles from anyone, the temp was around 5 degrees and other than a couple of bruises the size of paper plates on my thighs, my gear and me were fine! After a half hour my buddy came looking for me (I had the minnows). We thawed out the wheeler and took off.

Was putting my boat back on the trailer one day. Really windy that day, and the landing was jam packed. Well anyway I drove the boat on, crawled up over the bow, winched it on the rest of the way, got in truck and pulled up and out of the way, was getting out of truck and saw a guy running toward me yelling YOUR MOTORS RUNNING!!! oops, I had forgotten to turn off the boat motor. Didn't hurt anything, but did I feel stupid.

It was too cold outside to build my first ice house...... So I got the briliant idia to build it inside..... Got it done and it did not fit through the door.
I thought I messured it right, but I guess I did'nt

"So many people lean over to check their bobber in the ice hole and whatever they had in the chest pocket ends up in the drink. "

I fall into this group!!!

Ice fishing on the Big V....reach down to check the bobber and splash.....my nive spendy didgital camera goes right down the hole.....I was so pissed!!! Even worse was we could see it with the underwater camera....but could not get anything to grab it! Then...a litte later that night same thing happened with a zippo! Needless to say I don't keep anything in those pockets any more!

Another bonehead move was putting the speedboat in the lake and not realizing I forgot to put the plug in. I opened up the engine compartment to find water up to the bottom of the block of the engine. Ended up jumping out of the boat at the launch..swiming under the boat and puttin gthe plug in...then running the pump for like 20 min....LOL.

[This message has been edited by 311Hemi (edited 08-30-2004).]