• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bone head moves!

We were talking the other day about some of the bone head moves we've made in the past having to do with fishing. Looking back it's kinda funny, but at the time it was bad! Just wondering if anyone else tends to make stupid moves?

Me, well I have had my fair share. 3 cell phones are in heaven do to my fishing problem. One day, after backing my boat down to the lake, I realized that my cell phone had ridden on my gunwhale all the way out to the lake (I got lucky). Then a month later, I did the same thing, only this time the phone was not there when I arrived. My wife must be right,I AM a slow learner. $100 mistake.
Cell #2- Left it in my cargo pocket, had to wade out to the boat... you know the rest of the story. $100 mistake
Cell #3- I was in a hurry to get out the lake. Jumped in my truck, cell phone fell out of my coat pocket, I backed over it with an F150. Crappie Jigga, a fellow FM'er gave me a deal on that one...$65 (Thanks CJ smile.gif ).

Can anyone top that?

Dropped my cousin's Motorolla radio in the minnow bucket ice fishing. Here you can have your radio back...

Had the cell phone in a zip lock bag in the cooler to protect it. Ice melted & there were holes in the bag.

Left my keys on the gunwale of the boat at least twice, never lost them. Thank you Lord!

Had Motorolla radio in cargo pocket of pants deer hunting when I went through the ice in the swamp deeper than the hip boots. It didn't get too wet & still works. Still taking deep breaths though, man was that cold!

Flipped a canoe in strong current duck hunting with my father-in-law 7-8 years ago. There's still an 870 in the bottom of that river, he found the Beretta though. Then again maybe still taking deep breaths from that, it was really cold too!

Forgot about this one, it's so stupid, even though hunting & not fishing have to laugh at myself. Slipped with my release drawing on one of four deer under my stand, flinging an arrow off into the woods 10' over the deer & dropping the bow 16' to the ground. The deer all just stood there never noticing me, still could have easily drawn & shot one if I could have reached my bow...

Amazingly it was fine, actually got down & shot a wood chuck about 10' away.

Last summer I left my graph on the rear corner of the boat. It is now probably in some ditch between Washington lk and Mound. Oh well, it gave me an excuse to upgrade!

My best friend dropped the car key's down the hole of the fish house, cost him $95 to have a locksmith come out on Sun. so he could go home.

I did the wallet/check book 2 weekends later.

Ole

So many people lean over to check their bobber in the ice hole and whatever they had in the chest pocket ends up in the drink.

After unhooking a giant walleye I unhooked the lure and threw it over board only to realize the rod was already overboard! Ended up catching the rod after about 15 minutes of dredging with a spoon. Hooked it in the tip eyelet in 12 feet of Mississippi mud!! By the time I caught it I was amazed and a little bummed. I already had the replacment figured out. Shook it off and fished with it.

After I got home from a long day of fishing, I unhooked the boat from the truck, pushed the boat into the garage and left the truck on the street due to tiredness.
Next morning as i was leaving for work, I couldn't find my keys. Looked all over for about 1/2 hour. Just for kicks, i went outside to the truck and sure enough, the keys are sitting right on the rear bumper with the key still in the hitch lock. The keys on the key ring included were, keys for the 2003 truck, house and boat.... Good thing I live in a good neighborhood or else everything would been gone.

This one is not so funny. I am out fishing by myself. Just trolling around when I get a bite, when i get a glimpse of the fish I realize it is a walleye. I proceeded to reach oc=ver the side of the boat grabbed it with my left hand unhooked it with my leatherman in my right hand. I threw the leatherman in the drink and set the fish down. Needless to say i felt like an *****. On top of it the walleye was to big to eat so I threw it back. That was an $80 dollar fish,

I was so excited to go pick up my first ice fishing snowmobile that I when I had to move my brothers car to get the trailer, I left it running. I had planned on jumping back in and moving it back into it's spot but I forgot. When I got home the car had overheated and toasted the head.

I also have 2 two way radios and one strikemaster beeper that I lost out of the shirt pocket into the ice hole over 3 years.

Ice fishing, set my brand new $40 pocket knife on my lap while putting on a new lure. Had a bobber go down and got up. Bloop. The christmas present the wife got me was gone. Replaced the knife with the same exact one, same ice fishing season, did the same thing. Bought a cheap $10 pocket knife and have had it for 2 years.....
Put on new winter jacket, go ice fishing and leaned too close to the heater and smelled something burning. My new jacket was melted on the heater. I now have 3 jackets with the same melt hole in them. Think I would learn...
Jim

Got 2.

#1. Years ago while ice fishing in an overnight rental house, one of the guys dropped his glasses down a hole. About 3am one of the buzzers goes off. On the end of the line in front of the fishes nose was the glasses. True story!

#2. Last year while fishing Kab I was taking pictures with a new digital camera. Someone needed the net to land a fish so I set the camera on the cooler. It slid off fell about 12" to the carpeted floor. End of camera. End of $300.

My partner and I were pre fishing a river tourney. When we got back to the ramp, our truck wasn't there. To conserve fuel, we loaded 12 miles down stream of our usual ramp and drove right past our truck to the wrong ramp. So much for conserving fuel!!

One of my memorable bone head moves concerned the first deer I shot with a bow...I snuck into my natural tree stand as usual.

I had found the stand while setting fox traps, back in a little field out of the way, ideal setting, little crabapple tree, the works.

I'm in the stand with my 50# recurve and here comes the whitetail, a doe. The closer she gets, the more my legs started to shake. She gets within range, I had been hold the bow at draw, for longer then I should have, I let fly and missed!

She runs a little ways stops and I miss again! By this time I'm a basket case, shaking like a dog s**tting razor blades!

Somehow I dropped my two other arrows out of the tree, with much clatter, the deer runs into the woods.

I start a slow shinny down the tree so as to make as little noise as possible (Yeah, that was a good plan...it had already sounded like I had thrown a bag full of aluminum cans in to the back of a P.U.) half way down the tree, the deer comes back, walking slowly, head moving from side to side, looking to see what had made the commotion.

It was as if I had my finger in a 110 outlet! I did manage to shinny down and reach another arrow, but I was shaking so bad, it sounded like a rattle snake in the leaves!

That doe wanted to die, no question about it, she would run away and curiousity would bring her back. Curiousity killed the cat and on my next shot, it killed the deer also!

Not a pretty hunt by any stretch, but the job got done and we all got some venison.

Drive out to fish house, drive back home to get auger. Drive out to fish house, drive back home to get auger gas can. Drive out to fish house, drive back home to get auger blades. (really proud of myself this time for remembering allen wrench).

Pull,pull,pull,pull,pull,pull,pull..etc, auger won't start.

Guy in fish house next to mine comes out,laughing, hands me a beer, takes my auger, flips the switch to "on", starts next pull.

I should have just stayed in bed that day.

lake john in annendale has my first phone was in top pocket of my bibs ice fishing looked to see how deep it went down like a chisel so now i keep my second phone in side pocket of bibs come home from fishing washed my bibs found it in the dryer third phone in side pocket of bibs again this time im a passenger open the door phone falls on the ground help boat back up find phone later tire track right along side of phone. still have it lucky phone.
hello hello this is Buckhead

first time fishing out of a canoe

hooked into a big bass on a senko worm, in my excitement i stood up and set the hook, wobble wobble and over i go. luckily my fishing poles and tackle stay in the canoe which is on it's side but the empty 5 gallon bucket with my 1000 digital camera fills with water... fizzle pop snap, no more camera.

This could take a while . . . had six or eight people in a 16' boat for an afternoon cruise on the St. Criox. Tried to get on plane and put most everyone in the bow of the boat. Put the throttle down and noticed the back end filling up with water. Had the bilge on and started bailing. Wife was driving and decided to take a short-cut back to the ramp through 1-2 FOW. Shined the prop up real nice. While people started moving towards the back of the boat, the water in the boat subsided. Turns out the weight in the bow of the boat put the livewell overflow below the water level and started filling up the back of the boat with water. Beauty.

Hooked up the boat and trailer to the truck. Started driving. All of a sudden a thud. Forgot to put the hitch pin in. Good thing for safety chains.

Got up to Canada and noticed that I left the cordless phone from home in the bow of the boat. Funny, didn't get good reception.

Lost two pair of sunglasses which were placed on my hat before bending over netting a fish.

While trolling over a reef in pretty good sized waves, other guy in the boat had a fish on and I went to net the fish. Left the rod leaning against the side of the boat with the line out. Looked back after netting the fish and the rod was starting to sink in the water. Dove for it and almost fell in but the other guy grabbed my feet. This happend to a friend too, but he dove all the way in the water to get his rig!

Think that's about it. For now . . .

Anybody heard of this one?

There is a smaller boat fishing with 4 guys in it.They look pretty loaded down.The water is just about coming over the sides.Then someone boats over to see if they need help.
No,they say they are fine.Just fishing.
Then later they start motoring back to shore and when they get close to shore the whole boat starts rising up out of the water.
Guess what? They never took the boat off the trailer.They just unhooked it from the hitch ball.

These are great stories, I'm sitting here laughing.

Just last week:

I bought a new boat and sold my old one. I sold it to a really nice guy, he and his son came over and I took them to Crystal lake in Burnsville to show them the ropes of the boat.

I launch it, get the motor started, and pull it over to the dock, then I jump out and both of them jump in and I tell them take it for a ride.

As they're driving away, I notice the transom is getting lower and lower and lower in the water...you guessed it, forgot to put the drain plug in. Thank god they didn't sink, but they came back, I stuck the plug in, and the bilge ran for quite a while!

Just last night, put a hook in my finger, past the barb. Brand new Rapala lure, had to cut it off and pull it though. First time Ive done this and I hope its the last, kinda hurt~

set up a folding chair on a dock to dunk some worms, sat down, not knowing that one of the back legs was hanging over the side. the worms wern't the only ones gatting wet that day!

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}}("< ---><!>

phones.......

#1 duck hunting on mille lacs. 4:30 in the morn, someone says who's phone is that?. look down into about three foot of water and there she is screen lit up and every thing.....toast.

#2 got really pissed off at the boss over the two way......shattered into peices after bouncing about three feet off the
pavement.

#3 got tossed into the pool at a party.....it was still in my pocket.

#4 left on the bed of a work truck. fell off somewhere.

just about a month or two ago i couldn't find my phone anywhere and when i remebered where i had left it........so i opened the dryer door and there it was nice and toasty.......that dang thing went through a complete wash cycle......wash, spin, wash, spin, then was in the dryer for about 20 minutes. it would turn on but not work.

four - five days later i turned it on just for kicks and it WORKED!.......AND IT WAS REALLY CLEAN!!!!!!

About 10 years ago a friend and his brother needed help tracking a small buck he gut shot. It was after wrestling practice and it was pitch dark and cold. The trail was only a few spatters here and there but we were able to stay on it. We trail the deer to the river where it had most likely just fallen in and drowned. We retreived it and decided to get back home but no one could remember where home was we walked in circles for an hour while dragging a deer, that was a work out. We finally find the river and follow it for another hour to our folks who are a little upset that no one called. They still give us a hard time about getting lost in a patch of ground no bigger than 50 acres. Way to go Daniel Boone.

Same group of guys have been stuck in the mud, snow etc. more times than I can remeber. I need new friends.

I drove about 25 miles with my brand new Minn Kota Vector transom mount motor dragging on the road this spring. I didn't tilt it up and it's a heavy electric motor.

That's not the worst part. I backed up not knowing it was dragging and it caught on the ground and broke the mounting bracket. About $100.00 later and a couple of weeks waiting for parts it still works, although the skeg is about an inch and a half shorter now due to grinding it on the road.

So far I've....
-dropped 3 cellphones down ice holes
-this summer I lost a loomis overboard & broke a fenwick
-last summer lost a tube of salmon rods out of the back of my pickup
-sunk a boat in AK in a sweeper
-dumped canoes more times than I can remember
-missed 3 deer in one day of bowhunting
-destroyed 2 lower units on rocks
-dropped my digital camera off the dock
-been in the ER on 5 different fishing trips...
Some people think I'm unlucky but I've had plenty of unbelievably great days of fishing as well, so I think it all evens out in the end smile.gif
redhooks

RH
All that and you're still here to tell about it?
I think you're one of the LUCKIEST guys ALIVE !!

I once went full blast across Boulder Lake. Needless to say, I soon found out why it's called Boulder Lake!

One time a buddy of mine and me went fishing at Red Wing.It was in January but the main channel stays open pretty much all winter.When we got to the boat ramp the outboard was so froze that the pull start wouldn't pull out.
That should have been our clue that something wasn't right.
But no--we had to take it off the boat and put it in the floor in the front seat of the car.The heater running full blast on it did the trick.
We got it to loosen up and put it back on the boat.
So we back down the ramp again, but the little lagoon area was too frozen for the trailer to fall through through ice.
So we pull back up the ramp and I get in the boat. Back down we go but this time I get in the boat, jump up and down tring to get the boat in the water. Just need to break the trailer through the ice.
We could see the channel was open,we just had to get out to it.
When the trailer finally went down so the boat could float it was a big mess.The trailer lites broke off,and the trolling motor mounting bracket broke.
Oh well we were finally getting to go fishing.
We had a nice day, caught a few walleyes and sauger.But on the way back we were zinging along just fine and WHAM, the outboad jumped right off the boat and tail danced across the water whipping the gas hose around like a lariat. Down it went.(never put the chain back from the motor to the boat).
So we had to paddle back to the shore using boat cushions.When we got to the river bank we broke off a long piece of drift wood to use as a push pole.Well my buddy decides we need two push poles so he reaches up but can't qutite reach the branch he wants.So he stands up on the bench seat to get a better grip.He starts to pull and then the branch broke sending him flying backwards into the cold water.Lucky we are still alive.But memories like that are always fun to talk about and remember.
Sorry such a long post.