• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We should start the Fishing Olympics!

Cyberfish

After reading the thread in Outdoor politics about making fishing an olympic event, and ideas for competitions, I set to brainstormin' and thought that now with the summer Olympics soon winding down, mabye we should start the Minnesota Fishin' Olympics, EH? Wouldn't it be FUN?
ya betchya!

Here are some more ideas for events anyone could enter smile.gif

Pike filleting, with bonus points for y-bone removal.

Plastic lure skipping, see who can skip their plastic bait of choice the furthest under a dock.

Fathead scoop up, have the fishermen standing on the shore of a minnow pond with a dipnet and whoever scoops up enough minnows for a good day of walleye fishing.(mabye 4 dozen)

Slop trolling motor competition, see who can go through the thickest weeds with 12 volts!

Musky lure distance casting competition ( not to be on the same day as a waterski or jetski event!)

Here is my favorite, the whitewater backtrolling competition. who can backtroll into the biggest waves. Whith the big truck floormats I got bolted to the back of my skiff, I could get a medal here!

Also, here is an idea for the winter games...

Ice shelter pull, for the real athletic fishermen! everyone starts on shore and runs out to the first deep spot pulling a portable house and a auger, first one set up over 30 ft, get the house up get the hole drilled and get the bobber in gets the gold!

Happy Casts!

Cyb

[This message has been edited by Cyberfish (edited 08-22-2004).]

Hehe.. great idea.. (truly there should be bass fishing in the olympics.. that would be amazing.)

But.. one rule change..

"Musky lure distance casting competition (ON the same day as a waterski or jetski event!)"

(lol.. joking)

Time Trials:

1. Fastest Palomar Knot
2. Bird Nest De-Tangle
3. 50 foot deep 2o lb anchor retrieve

------------------
1...2...bam got him

LOL, i was just gonna post this after seeing it in the political forums too! I like the idea. "Minnesota's Xtreme Winter Games"

Events Ideas:
-Hand Auger drilling contest
-100yrd portable drag dash
-Spear Hole contest (whoever can cut out a spear hole the quickest)
-50yrd tip-up dash
-Suped up power auger event...drilling 3holes
-Chipping a new hole

Teams Events:
-50yrds pushing 6x8 fish-house
-Relay event of all mentioned above

"Minnesota's Summer Olympics"

-casting accuracy
-flippin'/pitchin'
-casting distance
-anchor pull
-Of course, fishing for total weight
-Team fishing
-knot tying
-Fly Fishing *distance & accuracy*
-biggest fish fly fishing

Wow im bored tonite, i came up with too much stuff..I need to go fishing!

For the winter games.....

Eel Pout "putting"
Ice Shelter sailing
Auger slush sculpting - for the artsie types

UG

Number 3 seems to be the best event so far!!
If there was a fishing olympics I would watch them especially the long distance musky lure event on the same day as waterski/jetski it would be like a clay pigeon event.

Good Fishin'...

Boat landing.

This would have to be held at a boat landing with at least 2 stalls. 2 truck/boat rigs line up ready to back up at the landing. When the gun sounds they back in, drop the boat in the water, tie it to the dock, get back in the truck, take 1 lap around the parking lot, back the trailer into the water, and reload the boat. 1st one to cross the finish line with a boat ready for transport moves on to the semi-finals.

I like the boat landing one.Some of the summers best entertainment can be at the campground boat ramps.Just sit back in the lawn chair with a cooler full of beverages and let the fun begin.

When summer and winter fishing become olympic sports, I propose the following:

1. All events would take place on a lake that is stocked heavily with walleyes or other gamefish.

2. Said lake would also be full of boulders and structure to produce snags while trolling/casting.

3. Competitors would score highly if they have a demonstrated ability to multi-task, for example maneuvering the boat, handling the rod, and relieving oneself over the gunwale simultaneously. All while trying to eat a sandwich.

Cashcrews