• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Notable fishing qoutes

who are those guy

Nothing makes a fish bigger then almost being caught. - Author Unknown

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer
or wears better clothes than I do. I envy him, and him only, that
catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton

"If I would have caught only one more, I would have had one".

"To him, all good things -- trout as well as eternal salvation-- come
by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy"
- Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It, 1976

"The time a man spends fishing is not counted against his life's
allotment." – Confucius

Fishing is the pursuit of something elusive but yet attainablle,an
endless series of occasions for hope.

"The fishing is so bad even the liars are’nt catching any".

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not
fish they are after" - Henry David Thoreau

All taken from DC

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genegodawa

• Lake Alice

• abens1078

• redhooks

"In those days a limit was all you could catch, plus one." Pat McManus

"I sit in happy meditation on my rock, pondering, while my line dries again, upon the ways of trout and men. How like fish we are: ready, nay eager, to seize upon whatever new thing some wind of circumstance shakes down upon the river of time? And how we rue our haste, finding the gilded morsel to contain a hook. Even so, I think there is some virtue in eagerness, whether its object prove true or false. How utterly dull would be a wholly prudent man, or trout, or world? Did I say a while ago that I waited 'for prudence' sake'? That was not so. The only prudence in fishermen is that designed to set the stage for taking yet another, and perhaps a longer, chance." -- Aldo Leopold

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idi*t - Steven Wright

Won't let me put that word in.

[This message has been edited by wallyH (edited 08-13-2004).]

Never assume what worked yesterday will work today.

The person that knows exactly what the walleyes are doing know nothing.

The more I fish the less I know.

Fishing is just a jerk on one end waiting for a jerk on the other.

"I never drink water because fish &*%$ in it!"
W.C. Fields

"Our bodies are comprised of 2/3 water and the earth is covered with 2/3 water therefore 2/3 of our total time here should be spent fishing on the water."
taken from a magnet on gramma's fridge

One more cast.Or,one last drift.Or how about,For every hour you fish you add an hour to your life.

When asked how the fishing is. . .
"The fishing is always great, the catching is sometimes slow."

MJ

My personaly favorite, when your buddy is half asleep......HEY YOUR BOBBERS UP

This quote temporarily stops the heart:

"Hey wait.......maybe it isn't a snag.!"

This quote came from a commercial years ago.
I don't know if this is notable but it's still funny.
I always say this to my brother when I see him start to go off the deep end about the size of some fish he caught.

"That fish was so big the picture weighed 7 pounds"

Only we can understand how two guys can sit in a boat together, for hours, and hours, and hours, without saying anything to each other, except, every so often:

"Any action?"

LA

I think I read this one on FM before but I am not sure exactly how it goes. Something like.......

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will drink beer and ???????

Granny

Did a search for fishing quotes and here is what I found.

"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis

"Game fish are to valuable to be caught only once" - Lee Wulff

"To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
- Herbert Hoover

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

"Blessings upon all that hate contention, and love quietnesse, and vertue, and Angling." - Izaak Walton

"You will find angling to be like the virtue of humanity, which has a calmness of spirit and a world of blessing attending upon it." - Izaak Walton

"Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics that it can never be fully learnt" - Izaak Walton

"The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!"
- Reg Baird, from his video Labrador Trout

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt

"Today she met me at the door, said I would have to choose, if I picked that fishing pole today, she'd be packing all her things and she'd be gone by noon....well I'm gonna miss her when I get home tonight. Right now I'm on this lake shore, and I'm sitting in the sun! I'm sure it'll hit me when I walk thru that door tonight. Yeah, I'm gonna miss her. Oh lookie there, I gotta bite!" - Brad Paisley

"Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." - Ed Zern

"He told us about Christ's disciples being fisherman, and we were left to assume...that all great fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fisherman and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman." - Norman Maclean-A River Runs Through It

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson

"Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs." - Norman Maclean - A River Runs Through It

"I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean - A River Runs Through It

"If fishing is like religion, then flyfishing is high church." - Tom Brokaw

"Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up." - Arnold Gingrich

"The best time to go fishing is when you can get away". - Robert Traver

"It is not difficult to learn how to cast; but it is difficult to learn not to snap the flies off at every throw." - Charles Dudley Warner

"Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job." - Paul Schullery

"Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl." - Ernest Hemingway

"When the beginner can cast his fly into his hat, eight times out of ten, at forty feet, he is a fly fisher; and so far as casting is concerned, a good one." - James A. Henshall

"Lots of people committed crimes during the year who would not have done so if they had been fishing. The increase of crime is among those deprived of the regenerations that impregnate the mind and character of the fisherman." - Herbert Hoover

"It is only the inexperienced and thoughtless who find pleasure in killing fish for the mere sake of killing them. No sportsman does this." - W.C. Prime

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fly fish and he'll move to Montana."

"Heaven seems a little closer in a house beside the water." - Anonymous

"What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly fisher calls a great hatch." - Patrick F. McManus

"All of us search for that perfect trout stream. Those who find it treasure it the rest of their lives. Those who don't keep on searching." - "Trout Streams I've Known" by Jimmy D. Moore

“There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.” - Patrick McManus

"The one great ingredient in successful fly-fishing is patience. The man whose fly is always on the water has the best chance. There is always a chance of a fish or two, no matter how hopeless it looks. You never know what may happen in fly-fishing." - Francis Francis

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

"The Essentials of a Good Fly-Hook The temper of an angel and penetration of a prophet; fine enough to be invisible and strong enough to kill a bull in a ten-acre field." - G.S. Marryat

Not 100% sure on this but.. I think it was Al Linder who said "it's apparent that the terrorists responsible for 911 never learned to appreciate fishing".....sad but true

Another Linder quote.... "The geographic area between Grand Rapids MN and Park Rapids Mn holds the greatest diversity of trophy gamefish on the planet"...could just be a local bias but I'm glad that's my home turf smile.gif
redhooks

I saw this as a fellow FMer's signature line in a recent thread about boat safety, or lack there of:

"You can lead a boat to water, but you can't make it think."

I thought that the most used quote was:

@#%$&)!!!!

I like the topic! smile.gif

Corey Bechtold

These are awesome!!!
"Did you put the plug in?"

This has happened a number on times when you are driving someplace to fish and it's a 2 1/2 hour drive to the lake. Your about half an hour from the lake and your friend asks, "Got your licence?"

"You wanna go fishing?"
Kind of a stupid question!!!

------------------
Get the Net!!

"Didn't catch anything, the cold front had em' shut down"

"If it where easy everyone would be a pro"

"A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work"

My personal favorite, "I'm thinking of going on the tour!"

------------------
It still beats workin'

I spent most of my life fishing, the rest I wasted.

Early to bed early to rise, fish like he11 and make up lies.