• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FIsh ID?

taxmancommeth

OK caught this the other day in the lacal pound smile.gif

OK Just kidding. Found the picture on the net and need to know what this would be classified as.

siamese_pike.jpg

My dad & a buddy caught a two headed pike up on Splithand lakes years ago. It was small and they thought wow and thrw it back. Not till later they found out that the DNR would have paid $1,000 to them if they would have brought it in.

Any other weird fish stories like this out there?

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

Is this an example of ONE head being better than TWO!!?? Wierd....

~piker

Whoa! What a fight that put up!

Did anyone see the Pike/Lake Trout mix that some guy caught?? I saw it on the WDIO Duluth/WIRT hibbing channel. I believe it was the same one where the had the tribute to Dennis Anderson. Anyways...

------------------
1...2...bam got him

Jez, I can't believe it lived that long. It looks like there is a good 6-8 pounds of fish there! Any word on how if fought? I wonder if it's a close relation to the three eyed fish on the simpsons??

------------------
It still beats workin'

I don't know, you caught one fish, but it sure looks like two. I don't know any details, but I'm pretty sure I saw this same picture at least 3 years ago, so it didn't just happen.

This happens once in a great while during the spawn. This is two fish!!! The smaller male actually got stuck during the spawn.

[This message has been edited by Chris Haley (edited 08-04-2004).]

I agree, it does look like it is two different fish (one with the head in the gills). Must of been a couple of drunk guys fooling around and thought it would make a funny picture!

------------------

<*)))))))><{

Now that I look at it, I agree with you guys, it is two fish one in the gill of a nother. ff

This photo has been around for a while and it is BOGUS. It was put together by a good computer person playing with images.
It's just like the 1000 lb. ferel hog killed down south. If you look at the shadows the man casts and then look at the shadows (or lack there of) that the pig casts there is a big difference.

Hey anyone out there want a good mount of a jackalope. I have one that I'm willing to sell, its real.

Here is something else to think about as to why this probably is a bogus picture.....

Whenever you see two things attached like this, one is always smaller and more sickly looking, something to do with the brain of the dominant of the duo, blah,blah.

The one fish is smaller, but by no means does it look unhealthy, just obviously smaller and not by much!

If this was a real picture, I do believe the one fish would have been really scroungy looking.

The Pike/Laker Mix turned out to be a Muskie with "Pugheadedness". I guess its a rare disorder that various species get from time to time. It sure was goofy looking with a hooked upper jaw half the length of the lower!

I am guessing it would count as one fish as there is only one mouth. The only legal way of taking the fish would by by hook and line so you hooked one fish mouth and got two bodies.??

It looks like to me that this is 2 fish. I bet the stringer is attached to the smaller fish first and then the bigger fish was strung thru the gills and dropped down onto the smaller fish. It appears that the head of the smaller fish is slid up into the gills of the larger.

Hey don't make fun of my jack-a-lope. I have a very nice one mounted at home. That was a gift but when i was younger we did shoot a rabbit with a fungus growing on its head that looked like horns. Fuzzy and light brown. Gross but true.

You are right about that fungus, yuk..looks like a bunch of little brown carrots flopping around on there heads.

You see more of them with that nasty looking stuff in the city, then out in the more rural areas.

Personal opinion is that they have eaten to much greenery that has fertilizer and exhaust residue on it.

I used to snare rabbits when I used to run a trapline, but once I started picking up them fungused ones, I stopped, yuk!

After looking at it more closely I agree it's two separate fish. I can about imagine how it happened, they put them on the stringer & pulled it up from the boat or carried it to where they were going to clean fish & it had just happened. Naturally probably not quite as completely, but enough to give the guys the idea that it would make a cool & confusing picture, & it just went from there.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys better take a better look at the picture. You can easily identify this as one fish with a conjoined head. Even look at the jaw line on the bottom - you can see where there is a smaller protusion where the jaw line is not quite symetrical. I dont think a trick camera shot could have done such a good job - it is definetely not a picture of one fish slid into the gills of another. Also look at the eye sockets of the smaller fish - they are not really a true eye socket - but rather a part of one that was lost where the heads join up.

I'm with the drunken stringer-gill fake. the "meeting" point is a grossly folded- over gill plate. The back of the gill plate just happens to line up on the headed fish as with the one that is inside.

Also, if you don't beleive that, look farther down the 2nd fish. At the head the two heads are "lined up" top to top. On down to the other end suggests otherwise.

I caught a northern in Bush Lake in Bloomington that had a pretty nasty slice that looked like it had a severe hare-lip. It really had problems with it's silibant (sp) S's when it hissed.

The head of the second fish seems to be upside down relative to the rest of the body.

The head of the second fish is upside down but the body is right side up and on it's one side. The dock is at not level with the water and with that and the angle of the sun hitting the first fish. You can see that the shadow from the first fish on the second fish does not line up. If this picture was taken from West to East you could see that fish #1 seems bigger than fish #2. With this picture thow it looks like 2 is bigger than 1. Althow 2 is bigger, fish 3 should be the one we question. Is there a third fish? Was this fisher person that good of a fisher person to get three fish?
Yes, I have it...it's all in the boat!!
This kind of seems strange!!!???

------------------
Get the Net!!

someone posted that the eye socket were different on the smaller fish. You cannot see the eye socket on the smaller fish for you are looking at the bottom of the smaller fish - it's head is not on backwards. The eyes are facing the dock.

my vote - two fish

My vote is for one fish.

I used photoshop to zoom in and look very closely and it appears to be one. There is also no evidence of someone using photoshop to doctor it. Usually you can see variences in grain and photo quality and there is none of that here. The sticking one fish in anothers gill also does not hold up when you look at it very closely. The two bodies are defiently conjoined. Zooming in you can see how they pretty much melt together.

If this is a fake, either someone surgically cut them up and glued them together or else it's the best fake photo I have ever seen.

[This message has been edited by Tom Herman (edited 08-19-2004).]

Is it real, or is it Photoshop?

It's real, if the Texas Reptiles website can be trusted (and they sound like they know what they're talking about to me). The picture shows a siamese Northern Pike caught by Donald Tayer on the Ottertail River in North Dakota.

Here is the Texas Website!

http://www.texasreptiles.com/htm/siamesepike.htm

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

Call me a doubting Thomas, but I still fail to believe that this is one mutated fish.

On top of the other arguments, Where is the stringer rope loop? I believe that it is looped through the gill of the "bottom" fish and therefore not seen due to slipping through the gill of the "top" fish.

I guess I would need to see more pictures and different angles with less questionable features in order to believe this. The most obvious answer isn't always the right answer.

I've taken another look at this photo and I noticed something....thats a rope stringer and rope stringers have a ring on one end, where is the ring, or the loop that would be made to secure the fish?

The ring and the slip loop is in the mouth of the smaller northern that was pulled into the gill opening of the other fish!

Regardless of what it looks like, all that is showing is the expanded gill cover of the bigger fish, nothing more.

Hate to rain on your parade guys.........

But this is real. I seen photos of this fish. There were about 5 of them. Let me dig around to see if I can find them on the puter..............

It is real and it has been logged in the books throught the DNR.

I'll do my homework and see if I can dig it up............

5 Pictures or 5 fish? A 5-bodied/1-headed fish; that's something I'd PAY to see!

Hope to see some pix soon, but I'm sure not losing sleep over it! lol