• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whiskers saves the day!!!

For those who don't frequent the Crookston, TRF, NW Minnesota Forum or those who don't know who Rusty Miller (Whiskers Guide Service)is, or what a RiverPro boat is, here is an interesting little story.

Thanks to Chudmon for posting the original link in the Crookston Forum.

Article comes from the Grand Forks Herald- Grand Forks, ND.

ON THE RED RIVER: Fishermen rescue the rescue boat

Boat catches on dam

Two fishermen helped rescue a rescue boat Wednesday after a Grand Forks Fire Department craft was hung up on a dam near Riverside Park.

Dave Manthei, fire department training officer, and senior firefighter Bruce Weymier were in a training session when the boat hit a rock, Manthei said. They were attempting to navigate upstream through the dam when the boat was pinned by rushing water.

"The boat is made to go up in those waters," Manthei said. "It just happened when we went up there, we got stuck on a rock. It's just like a snowbank."

Fishing nearby were Ryan Timmer and Rusty Miller. Because Miller's jet boat has no external moving engine parts, it is able to navigate the rocky dam, Manthei said. The two volunteered to tow the fire department boat to safety. The retrieval was delayed when Miller's jet boat sucked in the tow rope. But the craft finally was pulled from the rocks after about 1½ hours.

"We were joking around (that) we're going to have to rescue the rescue boat," Timmer said. "About five minutes later, we did."

Manthei said his trainee, Weymier, did well in the dam but that the mishap was "just one of those things." The department's boat is designed for swift water and ice, he said, but every watercraft has its limits. The incident illustrated the potential threat the dam poses to a kayaks or canoes that attempt to travel through the dam, Manthei said.

No one was hurt in the incident, and the boat was not damaged.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/9268035.htm

Way to go Rusty!!

Way to go Rusty!
I wonder if they are considering a River Pro now! smile.gif

Dennis:

do you suppose that their RiverPro has gone wild and up a rock wall, and lived to tell about it? smile.gif

Interesting to hear stories from my old stomping grounds. I grew up in Grand Forks, ND. Moved to Minneapolis when I was 21 and have been here now for 9 years.

Good story, way to rescue the rescue guys!!!

It was pretty nerv racking but we GOT R DONE.

GFFD is now very interested in getting into a RP..How could you not.. That RP not only got us up to them to rescue them from their boat but later on it got up back up there with a rope and pulled that boat off the rocks after several tries..The only other alternitive was a air lift.

That river pro also won me the Cats Incredible tournament also in EGF last weekend.. We took 14th out of 150 teams and second place for biggest fish. No doubt that with out the RP I would not have done nearly as well being it got us to our spots fast and safe plus it got us into areas that other fishermen could only think about fishing and there is where we got some good weight for our total.

Thanks fellas
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/9268035.htm

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Way to go Wiskers! Cool story and good work in the tourney. Don't give the Riverpro all the credit- somebody's still got to drive it to the spots.
Good work!

------------------
Scoot

RodsbyEngel: custom made fishing rods