• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake maps

I posted this somewhere else but didn't get much response, so figured I'd try here.

Anyway,I am new to this whole GPS thing, so new that I haven't even picked the one I want yet, but in the mean time I've been researching different maps and cant decide which would be best.

I have looked at the custom maps, lakemaster, and laketrax which mentions they are contour maps, isn't that what all of these are? What are they talking about when they say contour, just the different structure isn't it?
Laketrax are certainly very reasonably priced as well as custom maps when you buy 3, I really dont need all the maps lakemaster gives, and also looked at the promaps, but didn't see any of the lakes I fish offered, like Ottertail, Lida ,Pelican, Detroit.

Anyway, just looking for some advice please.
thanks

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 07-29-2004).]

Dano2,

One of my job duties when I worked in Alaska use to teach GPS classes. We used Garmin’s 45, 12, and 12XL’s in our Airboats and large screen Lowrance plotter units in our ocean vessels. Garmin really set the bar for being user friendly. The larger units were harder to work with, but now I think most other GPS makers have caught Garmin with being user friendly. I have been using my Garmin 45 for hunting/fishing for about 10 years. For the last few years I’ve wanted to upgrade to a handheld with lake map features. I wanted a handheld that worked like the high dollar large screen Lowrance plotter, plug in a card with preloaded area maps already on it and go. It seemed like all the units out there required you to download info/maps to your GPS using a PC. Buy new GPS unit, new cables, new mapping CD and new memory chip. Not what I wanted. Just the other day I found what I was looking for. I bought a Lowrance I Finder Pro with a Navionics Premium Chip. The make several chips. The one I got has the big water maps Mille Lacs 1’ increments, Vermilion 3’ increments, Winni, Rainy, Green & others. I’m sure they have a chip with the lakes your looking for. Navionics states that the produce there maps using data from their surveys, fishing hot spots, Lakemaster, DNR, NOAA, US Army Corps. and other sources. The GPS unit was $200 and the chip was also $200. Not cheap but when you look at the other units most of the ones with lake map capabilities start at around $300 and go up from there. That’s not counting memory chip, cables, Map CD, ect…

I’m very happy with the new Lowrance I Finder Pro GPS.

Just one more thing. In my experience most guys buy a GPS and a month later it’s a paperweight on the desk. The only way your going to learn to use your GPS is to play with it as often as you can. Take it on drives (when your not the driver smile.gif), trips, rollerblading, biking, hiking, whatever… Don’t wait until it’s time to go fishing. Good Luck!

Crusher

[This message has been edited by Crusher (edited 07-29-2004).]

Don't forget Geocaching. Great way to learn how to use the machine. And fun with family.

whats that?

AS far as I can tell, they only have one lake I would be interested in(Ottertail), so I cant see paying $200, but I'll have to do more research to see if there are more MN lakes available then what I have found searching the net so far.
thanks

"Crusher", did you happen to look at the Garmin 276c (or 176)? It's a little larger than the iFinder (easier to see), portable, and can take data cards for more versatility. I can't decide what to buy, so am wondering what you thought.

any more inputs would be great on the maps and gps units, getting close to buying one

I use a Garmin eMap with Garmin Mapsource fishing hotspots software! I really like Garmins products/maps software..Excellent stuff!

[This message has been edited by Slyster (edited 08-07-2004).]

Dano2,

I use a Garmin gpsIII+. It is good and yes you do have a cd rom you can buy for the entire US topo. I find it useful nad easy to handle and have had it for a few years.

Dano,

What's your e-mail addy? I'll ship you some info that I got from some of the providers when I was trying to make a gps software decision.

------------------
Scoot

RodsbyEngel: custom made fishing rods

I recently purchased the 276c after narrowing the field to it and the iFinder H20 (waterproof version of the iFinder Pro). The decision to go with the 276c has not disappointed. It's spendier than the ifinder but has practical application as an auto-navigation unit. I toyed briefly to switching to a depthfinder/gps combo but let's face it ... if someone says they are taking their boat out and has an open spot I'm certainly going to try and fit it into the schedule. I don't want my gps stuck back home in the garage. I also picked up the Lakemaster chip and used it on Clearwater Lake over the weekend. First time "driving" the lake (and it's a prop killer) and we were hopping from spot to spot. Absolutely incredible. Again, the 276c is not the cheapest alternative but do right the first time and you wont regret it. Two thumbs up.