• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New GPS

I'm starting to look at a new gps. What do you recomend? Does anybody know anything about lowrance I-finder-pro model

I have a garmin rino 120. It has a 2 way radio also. I use 2 ways all the time so it works great for me.

I have the i-Finder pro and really like it. It accepts different memory chip cards with lake maps (limited selection). It is pretty easy to use...

Lowrance now has an i-Finder H2O unit, that is the same as the i-Finder Pro, except that it is waterproof. It's about $20-$30 more than the Pro model, but depending on your use, may well be worth it.

Do a search in this forum for topics with 'GPS' in the title, and you will get more information than you probably want on the subject.

I'm with scumfrog, the 5 mile radio is great and if your with other people that have a rhino,it will plot them on your gps so you know exactly where they are,also there are many different maps you can get .

------------------
If people weren't supposed to eat animals.

why are they made out of meat??

Scumfrog,

Regarding the Garmin Rino 120, do those report your location all the time? Or is it only when you talk? Have been considering getting a set as I now have a 14 year old and a pair of 12 yr olds that will be hunting with me.

thnx,
D

Fishermn,
You program other units into it, then you can ping those units to find out were they are. Within 5 miles. I don't know anybody else with one so I haven't had a chance to try it. But I do like it. My brother-in-law spent $550.00 on a gps and has yet to use it. I spent $250.00 for the rino and I don't leave home without it. And i got a 2 way radio built in to boot. ha-ha-ha. It doesn't have a lot of memory in it but if that's not a priority then I'd say get one. For me I needed one that would tell me were I am, how to get home and mark waypoints. I hope this helps you out. Let me know if you get one.

I will post ya a note on here when I get one. I would like to get the mapping version, but dont want to lay out that much cash (considering I will probably buy 2 or 3 units). Also, this does make me wonder if the DNR would consider these legal for deer hunting. I expect that if you arent using them to communicate while hunting its probably OK, but who knows...

A friend of mine has the cd for the maps so he's putting it in the unit for me. I'm not to good at that stuff. (don't want to mess things up. lol) They also have a rino 130 now put it's spendy. Let me know when you get one..

I have the an older lowrance gps it has always been very accurate, and works great, I know nothing of this new on yet, but I'd expect the same good quality.

I have a new Garmin Rino and it is wonderful except that the screen is way too small for an old man like me. Have to pull out the reading glasses to use it. Otherwise it is great. Now that I own one I realize I should have got one with a bigger screen. Not too handy in the deer woods.

I have a Lowrance LMS 320.... I really like it, I would have rather had the color version however.

The I Finder Pro can take the Navionics maps, so that is the big advantage.

Personally, I would rather have the I Finder H2O, which is supposed to be waterproof. No idea how it is priced, but I think it is a waterproof I Finder Pro with additional features. Supposed to be out soon.

Oh yeah, the rino is also waterproof. And it'll float. For how long it will, I don't know and don't really want to find out.

Fishermn,
e-mail me at [email protected] I have a place I bought mine online alot cheaper than anywhere els I found.as to your question , they only update location when you key up on the walkie-talkie.My hunting group has 5 units and have saved us many times finding each other after tracking deer in the dark,also the fishing maps are pretty good too.

------------------
If people weren't supposed to eat animals.

why are they made out of meat??

I REALLY like my Garmin Emap... it's no longer available.. so look for it on ebay for cheap prices... my best fishing buddy. Full mapping capabilities with software etc..

If you're looking for a more affordable handheld, the Garmin 76S is very nice. New it runs about $400.

If you're like me and don't care about the background map, the Garmin 72 is pretty similar and can be purchased new for about $160.

I'm sure both of these units are available on eBay for much less.

------------------
The Bush Economy:
You can't afford it!