• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Do I need a kicker??

Okay Guys-
This is a topic that I keep tossing around in my head. One day I think I need one, the next day I don't.

Do I need a kicker motor? Currently, I run an Alumacraft Tournament Pro 175 tiller with a 75 (2 str) motor. It trolls down to 2.1 mph (gps).

Here is why I want one:
*Basically, any time after mid-June, I am pulling cranks. So I would use it a lot.
*On a few occasions this year, I have trolled for 10 hrs straight. For some reason it bothers me to listen to that gas guzzlin 75 hp rumble all day long.
* does a long day of trolling hurt my 75?
* I would also like the option of trolling under the 2 mph range (without a bulky Happy Troller or drift socks).

Here is why I hesitate to buy one:
* I know guys that have trolled with there big motor for years without a problem.
* I can think of several other ways to spend the money. (or maybe even try somthing new to my vacabulary *SAVE* the money????)
*two motors = twice the maintanance, twice the problems.
*added weight, (I already have my fat a$$ in the back of that speed demon)

I just can't decide. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

If all you are going to do is speed troll cranks do not need a kicker. However, add a Yamaha 9.9 4S high thrust or a 74 lb backtroller, and a set of wave whackers you open up a whole new world of presentation methods especially for walleye and smallmouth fishing like bump fishing lindy rigs, vertical jigging, flip-jigging, spreading cranks and spoons around a reef or bay, and more. Add a bow mount and you increase your flexibility even more.

I’m of the opinion that that all methods of presentation work, but not all the time. So you need to be flexible.

Oops, I forgot to mention that I do have wave wackers. I sold my 70 lb transom trolling motor for a 74 lb Maxxum bowmount w/buttseat for casting cranks, jigging etc..

I don't know if you fish big water or small water, but a kicker could be looked at as a safty device too, should your main take a dump on you. At least that's the argument I've made to my wife. She says if the main takes a dump, I'm SOL. wink.gif

------------------
"Nothing says business in the front and party in back like a good mullet."

If you plan on fishing the Mississippi... yes, you do need a kicker.
Yamaha's T8 is a nice one.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

I'll second the Yamaha T8. I bought mine this spring and can't imagine being without it. I also have two trolling motors on my boat that have had little use since the addition of the kicker.

If you're considering a kicker be sure to shop around, I found a $600 price range on the T8 at differet dealers.

I have a kicker motor and love it, but I have a side consol boat with a 175 hp motor. Between the kicker motor and my bowmount electric I can handle any fishing situation I run across.

In your post you said you troll cranks and it sounds like your boat works fine for that. Therefore, I would say you don't need a kicker unless you think it will help you catch more fish. Just my opinion, good luck.

I also recomend the Yamaha T8. They are quiet and run SMOOOOTH.

I have a 9.9 kicker and use it maybe once a year. I also have a 175 hp main motor that will troll down to about 2.6 mph, that I will run while downriggin for lakers. I use my bowmount for everything under 2.6 mph. do you need a kicker motor, I would say no, unless you fish lakes like superior, its nice to have a backup. what I dislike about having a kicker, and using it only once a year, is the the gas gets bad, or the carbs need to be cleaned, its more of a headacke than its worth.

I have been told that it is not good to run a larger motor (like a 75 h.p.) for trolling. Is this true, or was I givin a line of bull???

Full tilt, I priced out the T8 and found a price fix everywhere I went,about $2400.00. Love the motor, the power trim, electric start, and above all the QUIET! Its a great motor but Nelson Marine stiffed me with a long shaft instead of a extra long as I requested at purchase time, but they are going to exchange it for the right size when the 2005's come in. As far as a Kicker goes, its great all the time, for all speeds, electrics are good for lighter wind conditions and depends on the battery strength and can be moved to your new boat at that time. Good Luck HTB

Rost,
I have the EXACT same set up as you. 1998 TP 175 tiller with a 75 2-stroke Merc. I used it this way for 6 years and last winter bought a 8hp Evinrude 4 stroke. Man am I glad I did. I made the decision for several reasons. 1. I got a great deal on the kicker. It's a 2000 model year with very low hours, and I bought it for well under $1000. 2. I troll A LOT. I troll in cold water and warm, all season long. I troll 3-ways and cranks on the river and I troll at night on Mille Lacs in the Fall when super slow sometimes means more fish. The kicker offers me much more versatility than the big motor and I don't have to listen to it or smell it! 3. As someone else said, it also offers me the option of using it to back troll or use it for precise boat control when vertical jigging in windy and wavy situations.
Like I said, I'm glad I got one. I got a great deal on it and can't imagine not having one now.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

Bricks...I called around last Feb/March checking prices and I found prices ranging from $2,900 to $2,100 for a 2004 T8. I bought mine at a Yamaha dealer in St. Peter. However, from the time I put money down on it in Feb/March to when I picked it up in May the price on their floor model had gone up to $2,400, or something close. I also priced them out at the boat show this year and found varying prices. I know they've been extremely popular and Yamaha may have had to fix a price for the dealers, I'm not sure.

What type boat are you runnign yours on? I bought the long shaft for my 1750 Fish Hawk and debated on getting the extra long shaft in case I get a deeper boat, what's your transom?

You do not need a kicker for that rig. I have a very similar rig with the same 75 Merc bow and transom electrics and there is no way I would put a kicker on it even if it was free.

You should get a little over 2mph minimum going forward, 1.1 to 1.6 mph backtrolling. You can pull cranks or whatever else with a bow mount too. All speeds should be covered with what you already have.

The kicker is just going to add weight to the back of your boat and make the bow ride higher out of the water.

My 92 Merc works great and has many trolling hours on it. Those motors have a bulletproof reputation with the mechanics I have talked to.

I had the same boat but with a 75 hp 4 stroke.

You may want to look at getting a 24 volt Minn kota Vantage or Vector.

When its calm out I troll with the Vector. When it's 2 foot or bigger waves, fire up the 75.