• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gulp/Powerbaits

It sounds like there has been some success using this style of plastics.

I would like to stock up on some of these baits but get a bit overwhelmed looking through the Power bait/Gulp section at the bait shop.

Could some of you power bait/gulp pros please save me some time and money and help point me in the right direction as far as colors, presentations and styles that you've had success with or that one style/color that you never leave the landing without.

My primary passion is walleyes but I will chase the bass around as well.

Thanks

I currently have 4 types in my box, First are the little grub minnows in red I think they are 3", I also carry those in white, both have produced fish for me, and I think the quality of the fish has been a bit better, but that could be a bait size issue too, alas no eye's on them yet. I also carry the Nightcrawlers, people swear by them, I haven't had much luck with them, however I heard a tip to tip something like a jig and minnow with a little piece of gulp (or bio bait), for improved results, I also have the "grubs" , they have caught fish. None of them have ever produced high numbers for me yet, and I haven't really fished them for long periods of time, since I usualy had something working a bit better, but it's nice to have something with some smell to it if you not dropping by the bait shop.

Then I have the mention bio-bait manufactured by people on this site, people who support this site, and a lot of people have had great luck on Bio bait also, to date I haven't fished it due to lack of availibility, (lazyness :lol ) Since I do 95% of my shopping and GM. That being said there are many people here that praise it, a little search and I'm sure you can find oodles and oodles of info, not to mention a quick link to order some, which really isn't hard or time consuming at the very least.

No doubt in my mind these "natural" engineered baits are quality additions to anyone tackle box. Generally I try and buy stuff that looks like or taste like the "natural" baits or plastics that have worked for me.

Gulps work just fine. Rigged some TX style without weight and tossed em up against and into the weeds. Let em sink on controlled slack line. Watch line etc. for a pick up. Have not used the on WE's since I don;t fish for them. I prefer to fish for "sport" fish! HA!
I'm sure they would work well in a harness and spinner.

Great info!

Keep it coming, any one else have any gulp/powerbait success stories.

Next time I get to my favorite walleye lake I'm going to try a gulp crawler on a spinner rig. I suppose all the bait color to water clarity rules apply. Think I'll pick up a bright color for the stained lakes and the brown/crawler color for the clear lakes. Has anyone tried the crawler/worm gulp on a lindy style rig?

If these worms work it sure would be allot more convinent that regular crawlers.

I make no bones about my preference....Powerbait products hands down. Gulp may have it's place during the warm water periods, but Powerbait rules the roost in cold water...even cool water.

The Powerbait Panfish 1" twister in green sparkle has caught more cold water crappies for me than any scented plastic. Period.

I fish walleyes and sauger on the Mississippi below the dams all winter. Powerbait products fit every niche for profile, color and action that needs to be met if scented baits are needed to catch fish. I use quite a few differnt Culprit plastics when the bite is hot in the late fall/early winter, but as the water drops temperature the scented products eventually take the front seat until later in the following spring.

The Powerbaits used are walleye/sauger specific (red label/walleye formula)in three primary shapes: 3 and 4 inch minnows, 3" jigging worms (darned hard to find) and the 2 and 3 inch twisters. I carry every color offered. By doing this I have met evry profile, color or action need. The jighead is the only outside variable and they will, and do, change the action of the plastic.

I have caught exactly two fish during the cold water period fishing Gulp while fishing from the boat. Gulp has been used successfully to accent a jigging spoon while fishing for trout, but I place little confidence in it otherwise. If I had to estimate how many cold water (34-38 degrees) crappies and how many cold water (up to 50 degrees) walleye/ sauger that Powerbait products have taken, I don't think I could make an accurate assessment. I have caught literally hundres of the species mentioned on Powerbait.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

The Gulp has produced for me this summer. I have been using the jig/3" minnow grub or a crawler imitation on a bottom bouncer spinner rig.

Crappie Tom, that is a very insightful point on the water temp factors. I have had good luck with Power tubes on Pool 4 in cold water as well.

The Gulp! sinking minnows are a pretty good bait. They are like a Senko style of worm. One secret to using them is if when you rig it whacky style it doesn't flop the way you want. Rotate the worm 90 degrees and rehook. You need to remember with these baits unlike the Senko they have a molded head so that adds different weight, water tension so if you rotate it you may get an entirely different action.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

i tried GULP, but did not think it held up well. i have tried YUM and have been impressed with the durability and mostly the smell. the fish just don't let go.

I used some 7" gulp worms for bass the other day. (T-Rigged) I had very good luck. My first three casts had bites. (missed one)

The only knock I have is that you have to keep em moist or they dry up on your hook.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I have caught walleyes on the small gulp white lures with the twister type tails on quarter once lead jigs. Works good but costs 2 dollars more than Yum. I think I will try that next.

I've had success this summer with Gulp also. Especially the 7" Turtlebacks for bass near the weeds. For the sun fish and Crappie enthusiasts, a small jar of Gulp Maggots w/ Flu-Flu's does the trick.

i have not tried the gulp plastics as of yet. for twisters,grubs, chunks,the minnow, and a couple of other styles i love powerbaits. for tubes,spider grubs, and the senkos imitators i only use chompers brand. del

Yeah I would have to say that slotleft's idea of the maggot and flu-flu jig has worked well. I guess they really do outfish live bait!

Matt

Was out after Bass today and went through 1 1/2 packs of em. One pack were the blue speckled in 7" then caught several more with the night crawler ones (coler) in 6". Last fish of the day was a nice 4 pounder. (appprox) Right about 19 inches.

Crappietom, I have not seen the 1" panfish powerbaits. I use the mister twister 1" in white, green with sparkle, and pink with good succcess. I have followed some of you posts and your crappie advise has been second to none. I may try the berkley if I can find it to see if I notice any difference in the two. We had some fun on the mississippi with nice 10-13 crappie of the plastics and light jig

[This message has been edited by Mr. Pike1 (edited 07-28-2004).]

Pike....Those little 1" Powerbait Twisters are, or can be, tough to find. Whenever I see them, I'll buy three or four packets of them....needed or not. I just toss them in the deep freeze until I need them. Another very good scented plastic is the Exude 1" twister. There are times that they will hold their own to the Powerbait, but not that often. I always figure that if they will hit the Exude stuff, they'll pop a plain old twister and they usually do.

I have learned over the years that Powerbait is a definite go-to bait. People who know how I fish will tell you that my cold weather/water tackle will always include Powerbait products. Without fail. And that holds especially true for the walleye/sauger fishing below the dams in the winter. It is an awfully good day of fishing when one or any of the many other plastics I bring along will out-fish powerbait products. They might come close, but.....

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]