• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

trolling motor

riverrat56

im looking into buying a trolling motor for my 14' lund i have a 15 horse mercury on it but would like an eletric motor for checking out spots up close, what would you recommend for thrust and shaft length, it doesnt need to be a fancy motor either just something that moves me along

i don't know what the optimum thrust would be for your boat. i had a 43 lb. thrust bow mount on my 17 1/2 foot bass boat and it wasn't enough. i would guess that it would work very well for you though. if you are interested let me know. mine is for sale. it needs to be repaired first, but the price is right! i upgraded to a 65 lb. thrust and it works very well.

You could definatley get by with 36lb thrust motor on your boat. I've got 36lb bow mount on my old 16ft lund that has a 50hp on the back and it does just fine even in most wind. I've only owned Minnkota motors in the past so I can't judge other brands but I have been happy with Minnkota.
But, if more power is what you crave... go for it. I see good used motors in the for-sale forums here. That's actually where I got mine from. Good luck, have fun.

I've got a 15hp Merc on my WC14 Lund and I put a 36lb. thrust Minnkota on the transom and it has all the power I need, even with all my tackle and another person...

------------------
Chells

thanks for the info guys sounds like 36lbs will do it for me.

we have a 17 foot lund pike and a 28 lb thrust moves us along ok. if the trolling motor is not strong enough you just got to use the big motor.

------------------
this is just my 2 cents
Pooh

I would reccomend getting the largest trolling motor you can afford. 55 lbs is the largest 12 volt model Minnkota makes. I have a bow mount on a 16' smokercraft stinger and am glad I went with it. You don't need to run it at wide open all the time but if you get in a fast current it's nice to know you have the power to get through.

HEY SAMI0115 !!
What area you live in ??
I mabey interested in the trolling motor you mentioned.

I'm with Cheesehead on the trolling motor size, although a 36 lb. will be plenty on a light 14', that's what I had on my old 14' Lund. I went with a 50 lb. transom on my 16' Smoker Craft Pro Tiller. I wish I had gone bigger, although it does the job generally. I definitely wish I could have afforded the one with the maximizer at the time. I had a 36 lb. bow mount that was shot, but it wasn't big enough either.