• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

alaska fishing

Heading out this wednesday to fish the Kenai river for salmon and ocean halibut fishing. I have not done this before. does anyone have any tips/suggestions? any thing I should bring. we also have one extra day without anything planned yet. any activities you would suggest for this last day. how about shipping the fish back?
Sounds like the king salmon run is in full swing and the sockeye are running also.

styx

1st of all you will probly need a days rest after the halibut trip..hope you scheduled halibut trip the 1st fishing outing..if you plan on 2 days of halibut fishing probly a good idea not to go 2 days in a row..you could be fishing from 60 foot down to 1000 foot..

For halibut fishing..bring lots of bengay along just incase you lock into a big 1..also you might need some sort of pils or the patch if you get ocean sickness..can get prety bad out..guide and deck hand will do the rest..be a good idea to have rubber boots on as well..rain gear is a must..bring 1 set of warm clothes..weather changes fast..cooler full of food and drinks..

they also have a halibut derby contest monthly and the big 1 of year i would buy 1..big bucks for the winner..someone has to win..

For the kenia..well thats good fishing but you will be shoulder to shoulder if you plan on fishing the rivers edge on your own..if your with a guide..well he will have everything you need..only thing you need is good bug dope..if you can find (benz)orange plastic bottle bug dope works the best..make sure you keep it in a zip lock..very strong

check with the airlines on how big your coolers can be and weight..if you plan on shipping the fish back some other way it gets real spendy..better off to rent freezer space in town then take it with ya on the air ride back home..it's a whole lot cheaper..this is what i do..i pack my close in my 3 coolers with a couple big sport bags to put my clothes in on the way back..cheaper to buy the coolers here..

bring travlers checks and cash..cash makes a great way to get a deal.. i spent my 1st year in Alaska working that area..

if you need to ask any ?'s feel free to ask..may i ask who your guide is? or what the buss. name is?

If you have wheels i would take a drive down to Homer..check out the spit..but i'm thinking the bed will be looking prety darn good after the halibut trip..
i'm headed back up in a few days as well..So good luck and take lots of pictures..

Thanks guys,
I'll be fishing the 1st 2 days on the kenai with a guide named Jim Wilson. we are staying at a bed and breakfast on the kenai. the 3rd day is halibut fishing. I was thinking of fishing halibut the 4th day also but this sounds like it may be tough. Maybe we'll just fish from the bed and breakfast for the sockeyes. I'll buy the coolers here. thanks for the heads up.

styx

Dont forget to bring duct tape along to wrap around your coolers to keep the lid closed and a magic marker(red)since everyone else on the plane will have black..everyone else on plane will probly have whitetop and blue lower half coolers as well...

sounds like you have the same giude for butt fishing too..if this is the case..maybe ask your guide if weather permiting to go butt fishing the 1st day..this will allow you a 2nd chance if needed and not being wore out..that also would give you more time to freeze the fish solid..

by the way..if your taking the gal along...remember the sunset walk...walk slow cause the sun remains half set for 4 hours..haha..so bring the sun glasses just incase you have good weather..

just incase you catch a shooter
good way to keep halibut in freezer without getting freezer burnt...fill the zip lock bags 3/4 up with water remove any air and place the bags in freezer so they freeze flat and even..Happy Fishing..

on sat and sun if you happen to see an all aluminum river boat with aluminum hard top 28' shooting big rooster tails with Big Blue letters reading Alaskan River Ventures that be me and my 3 bros...will scan the radio and try to pick up your guide and reply to all the Mn fishermen..

[This message has been edited by eyesontonka (edited 07-11-2004).]

styx,
I will be leaveing on friday, staying at a b@b on the kenia, and also have a day scedjualed with Jim Wilson also on the 21st. If you dont mind me asking, What b@b are you staying at? You abiously have river access where you are staying! Me and MY wife are staying at a place called Tanglewood, about 3 miles out of Kenia on the bank of the kenia river, From what I have heard about the Red salmon fishing is that it is better more towards Soldotna than at the mouth where we are staying!
HoleHopper

couple to things to keep in mind:

1) The weather can play havoc when it comes to ocean fishing- You may have your trip postponed- do you have a backup day? Refund?
2) When the reds are running- it is shoulder to shoulder on the highway side of the kenai. There are several options to get you to the "good" side of the river.
3)You will catch fish with any guide when the reds are going- in fact don't really need one! but the good thing- is you don't need to ship your gear with a guide.
4) other things to do- If the reds are running it's time for bears! Might want to consider digging some razors- as in razor clams- my wife thought this the best part of the trip. Check tides- The gulch is a great place to try- check info.
also- Hire someone to take you crabbin- If you like crab legs- this is a must! Fresh alaskan king crab puts red lobster to shame!

Halibut fishing is plain and simple WORK! Yes the meat is worth it, but plan on being physically exhausted. The Homer spit is the best place to go for halibut- many great guides/charters to choose from and success % higher than seward and most other places.

thanks for the help guys.
Holehopper: we are staying at a B&B called Silver bullet. I guess it is just past the town of sterling.

Clamming and crabbing seem like 2 great ideas.

Haul your clothes up in a cooler and mail them back while you haul fish back on plane in the cooler. It's cheaper that way.BTW I've heard that airlines no longer allow ice in coolers, don't know forsure but might be worth checking out. If you find out let the rest of us know also.

------------------
GRIZ

HoleHopper

I was thinking the same thing but my summer fishing comes to an end when i return from AK...i'll wait for the fall bite..to hot for me and way to many bugs..dont for get about the mean green..that tops it all..

Remember to save a couple heads off the reds to use for the halibut...makes a great bait..also keeps those chikens off..

sounds like you..me..and styx will all be in the same area for a couple days..you ever been up before???

Three years ago me and my wife were there for our hunnymoon and stumbled on the red fishing. Got to go back for that! We were on one of those all meals all lodging all guilded fishing outfits for some major $$$$$'s. Was fun But didnt have the time to do what we wanted. This time we have a little bit more knowledge, and feel we know the aria a little better to get around. Good luck to you, and I will post on this thread when I get back. I hope to here how you all do this comeing week. "OH YAH' one more thing, there is some diolog about AK in the "flyfishing" forum, if you want to read some more about AK.
Gotta go pack, grin.gif
HoleHopper

Holehopper

read my post on win a trip need input..Alaskan trip for a winner of ice fishing contest..put your 2 cents in..maybe this would go through and make a couple people who could never afford a chance like this

Seamonster,

How would I get information about how and where to hire someone to take me crabbing? Who did you go through?

Tony

I've always wanted to do some Alaska Salmon fishing. How does one go about doing it? Any tips?

My Home Page
1 Warrior To Rule Them all

[This message has been edited by webwarrior (edited 07-14-2004).]