• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pregnant wife wants to go fishing.

fishbones

hey guys,

My wife is due 07/10, but she shows no signs of labor, we think she'll go another week, but who knows. I told her i was going to go out tomorrow evening with my stepdad for a few hours fishing, as soon as she heard that she asked if she could go along. Now, if something should happen on the water, i'm not sure what to do. I suppose we could go to the nearest hospital or something. I'll probably take her out with us, how could i not? Just hope the park rangers have delivery experience. Not sure if some of you guys have been in similar situations, like to hear'em. thanks.

fishbones,Definitely go fishing, take her with you, and be glad that she wants to go.What better subliminal training could you have for your unborn child? They always say that you should start 'em young and they don't get any younger than yours. That child should be born scratching and clawing to get a rod in it's hands and to get in a boat. Besides, you won't have to worry about any slot limit because this one will be a definite keeper! Seriously, if I were you I would want to be in a boat with a fairly high horsepower motor should the need arise to have to get to shore fast. Also, if you have a cell phone, be sure to take it with you. There's always 911. My heartiest congratulations to you and your wife on a successful catch but not a release. Be sure to post a report after you have been fishing and let all of us know how everything went. My warmest regards.

------------------
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Hey fishbones I know a guy whose wife arrowed a black bear while 8 mo pregnant! Now there's some dedication!! I wouldn't worry about her sitting in a boat! She would know better than anybody how she feels and what she can and can't do. In fact it probably irritates her to no end when everybody else is telling her what not to do! Just be glad she wants to go!

~piker

I see absolutly no problem taking your preg wife. My wife had a daughter in March, and we were ice fishing right up until a day or two before my daughter was born. If she happens to go into labor in the boat, its not like the baby comes out right away. You usually have a couple of hours at least to get to the hospital. Good luck with the new one when its born.

I cought my wife wadleing out on Wacoina ice fishing after the doctor had told her to stay home and take it easy. That was not a good decussion. especaly since we had already pushed our luck that year and had the edge break away as we were driving off.

So you might as well have here with she'll go anyway!!

[This message has been edited by Slugo (edited 07-10-2004).]

Atta girl. Where do you guys find them like that?

Sounds like your wife's a real trooper. Is this your first? They don't usually just pop right out like a microwave, it's more like slow roast. I wouldn't run three miles out on Mille Lacs though.

I have seen a few babies born a couple of blocks short of the hospital but their mothers were all either ignoring the labor or unusually fast in the delivery. Most pitchers have a longer wind up.

Wherever you're going make sure you know how to get to the local hospital. Take a cell phone along, but let her go. It'll make a great story to tell your kids some day.

My wife was fishing with me the day before we had our first child. Were pretty sure that bumpy boat ride back to the launch had something to do with it. Now shes a couple weeks away from having our 3rd one. For some reason she keeps asking to go fishing on windy days. Take her out, have fun. Because the real work is about to begin. Good luck.

hey guys, Thanks a million for the replys, that's great!

Well, as it turns out we were getting things ready to go early saturday morning for fishing that evening, and she comes out the bathroom and said her plug came out, so there after she got some discomfort, so we ended up stick'n around the house, but believe me if that plug stayed in we would have been on the water, because she really wanted to go out! We found out couple months ago we're having a boy, his name is david; Can't wait to get him out on the water. By the way, what's the youngest you can take a child out on the water, i've seen some pretty small life jackets? Thanks guys, much appreciated!

You can take baby out right away depending on the weather, but also on what your particular baby is like. You don't want a colicy baby in a boat, they can't be in direct sun, can't get a chill and so on. In other words, you will know when you can take David along.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

She lost her mucus plug huh.... It won't be long now!

We took our kids out for short trips at under a year. Brought everything you needed and they usually had a good time with the gentle rolling of the waves. Yes, they do make lifejackets for infants. Makes sure to bring along something to create shade on a sunnie day. We usually brought a light blanket we hung acrossed the gunnel.

Borch

• 4 weeks later...

SO HOW IS FISHER BABY (DAVID) & MOM DOING?

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

hey taxmancommeth,

Wife ended up delivering 07/18, she went through 26 hours labor. David is great, i've actually been keeping busy around the house the past few weeks, probably won't take him out on the water til next spring, wifes a little concerned. i did manage to go fishing last sunday with my stepdad, we went to lake mitchell, caught about a dozen sunnies and one crappie. maybe this has happened to you before,my stepdad was putting the fish in the 5 gal. bucket from the basket in the boat, and i later found out, like 4 days later, that he dropped two large sunnies that landed down in a hole by bilge pump. Talk about disguesting!! Maggots galore man!! I almost lost my lunch. I had to use my BBQ tongs to getem out of there. see ya!!

26 hours, yikes. My wife has been in labor for 14 hours for 3 kids combined. They are now 4 yr, 2 yr and 2 weeks. Congrads on the little one.

Yahoo Fishbones! Awesome! Congratulations on David, and Good Job to Momma!

My oldest (5.9 yrs) started shore-fishing with me and operating his own gear when he was 1.75 or so, and can stay content in a boat for...well...I dunno - he's never been discontent in a boat. His record is 11 hrs. with one 45 minute shore-romp. He likes ice-fishing, too, even though his Dad stinks at it.

My youngest (3.9 yrs) gets bored quickly (too much tv, I bet) and prefers shore or pier fishing over boat.

Every child is different and David will let you know when he's ready.

Our 3rd is due early October.

Congrats again!
Rob